Hello..

JohnnyHennessy
29th April 2008, 20:34
Hi there, I came across this site as I was wandering around looking at life at sea
as I will more than like taking it as my career path.(==D)

I'm finishing my final secondary school exams this June and hope to apply to the National Maritime College of Ireland doing a course in Nautical Science(Deck Officer).

Will hope to get some valuable information from this forum about life at sea, experiences and on what shipping companies are good/bad when it comes down to my work experience[=P]
See ya around :)

K urgess
29th April 2008, 20:40
Welcome aboard from northern England, Johnny.
There are a few threads already about careers at sea if you hunt around.
Most of us are from days gone by so can't really comment on today's seagoing careers.
There are a few who are still at sea among the crew so they'll point you in the right direction.
Meanwhile find your way around the ship, join in and enjoy the voyage.

non descript
29th April 2008, 20:44
Johnny, A warm welcome to you. Thank you for joining the community and I trust that your good endeavours and ambition will be rewarded, both in life and on here with some good and positive advice on your worthwhile chosen career. Enjoy the site and all it has to offer, and we very much look forward to your postings in due course. Bon Voyage.

Steve Woodward
29th April 2008, 20:48
Jonny - welcome to SN , all the very best for your future career and good sailing.
A few bits of advice :
1. take a camera and take lots of photos - and label them - feel free to post them here we would be glad to hear from you.
2. Keep a diary
3. keep the crew lists of who you have sailed with - years later you may well forget who you sailed with - we oldies most have forgotten.
4. have fun
Steve

Bruce Carson
29th April 2008, 20:53
From Michigan, a warm welcome to Ships, Nostalgia.
I think our members will help you with some good advice and you'll be able to pick up some additional knowledge in our forums.
Much success to you in your chosen field.

Bruce

non descript
29th April 2008, 20:59
Johnny, although my comments may not take you down the road you eventually wish to travel, there is every reason to look at all avenues and that way you may get a better picture of what you want in terms of a career and what suits you. I am aware that other people from your location have found a very happy working environment as deck cadets with OOCL, and if you were interested you might find this particular link here (http://www.oocl.com/eng/contactus/) was useful to follow. As my colleague has said, whatever else you do, please have fun and take care, enthusiasm is a very precious commodity.
(Thumb)
Mark

benjidog
29th April 2008, 23:27
Welcome to the site and good luck with your career.

You will find all shades of opinion about specific companies and need to take what people say with a pinch of salt and form your own opinions.

Take a good look around the site and I am sure you will get a good insight.

Regards,

Brian

JohnnyHennessy
29th April 2008, 23:58
Thanks all for the positive responses. I'm sure I will find all the help I will need once I start the course. :)

gdynia
30th April 2008, 02:35
Welcome onboard to SN and enjoy the voyage

R58484956
30th April 2008, 16:51
Greetings John and welcome to SN. Enjoy the site and bon voyage.