Recognise this Establishment ?

andysk
30th April 2008, 09:54
Does anybody out there recognise this fine establishment from history ?

I chanced upon it last night when avoiding bad traffic on my way home and photographed it in the rain, hence the rather poor pic quality.

A hint : it was occupied in 1978 following a move from perhaps a more familiar address close by.

Tai Pan
30th April 2008, 11:02
To posh for Marconi.

R651400
30th April 2008, 12:02
Norwood Tech?

andysk
30th April 2008, 12:06
To posh for Marconi.

Even in it's present state ?

Norwood Tech?

Close - physically that is ......

What the Fug
30th April 2008, 12:13
Racal Decca

andysk
30th April 2008, 14:00
Racal Decca

Again, close physically, same sort of distance as Norwood Tech, but wrong direction ...

I know there are a number of guys on the site who will have been in close contact with the occupant of this building, even if they never actually visited !

dom
1st May 2008, 11:36
stamford bridge remarned centre??

andysk
1st May 2008, 11:42
Not quite Dom, but it does look like it !

A further hint, it was previously occupied by Johnson & Johnson who made syringes there (it was a bit cleaner then !) We kept picking up punctures in the car park from the needles left lying about !

What the Fug
1st May 2008, 12:08
Doing me nogging on this, as I lived up the road from it for 12 years

andysk
6th May 2008, 12:29
Hint Nr 1

David Wardley was a resident of this place for some years, he must be known to some of you ?

mikeg
6th May 2008, 16:03
Only ones I can think of are KH or Redifon?

andysk
6th May 2008, 17:18
Redifon isn't too far away ....

I didn't think it would be quite so much of a mystery !

Hint Nr 3 : It's located in the middle of a large common.

Tony Selman
6th May 2008, 18:40
I met David Wardley at the ROA AGM last year and from memory I think he was very senior in IMR which subsequently became STC. I don't know the building but that is my guess.

mikeg
6th May 2008, 23:18
Redifon isn't too far away ....

I didn't think it would be quite so much of a mystery !

Hint Nr 3 : It's located in the middle of a large common.

Wimbledon?

andysk
7th May 2008, 09:22
I met David Wardley at the ROA AGM last year and from memory I think he was very senior in IMR which subsequently became STC. I don't know the building but that is my guess.

Hi Tony ...

Got it in one - I must admit I didn't think it would be quite so difficult !

IMRC moved offices, development labs and the factory from Peall Road to 302 Commonside East, Mitcham in late 1978, about 6 weeks after I joined them, David W ran the R/O's when I was there from 1978-84, his office was one of those along the road I think.

Next time I am in the area, I'll try to get some pics of the old Peall Road offices which I believe are still there, but divided up into smaller units now.

Cheers

Andy

Jeffers
7th May 2008, 11:29
Just out of curiosity I've been keeping an eye on this thread. Now that you've got the answer could you explain some of the acronyms to the non-sparkies amongst us, for example ROA, IMR & STC?
Otherwise it'll still be a mystery to a lot of us!

andysk
7th May 2008, 13:20
ROA = Radio Officers Association (I think !)

IMR was International Marine Radio Co, a part of STC, Standard Telephones & Cables, in turn a part of ITT, It Takes Time (no sorry, International Telephone and Telegraph Corp of the USA.

IMR was the Radio Company who supplied Radio Officers, equipment and traffic accounting services to amongst others, the Cunard transatlantic passenger ships.