Scotia

RCHARLTON
6th June 2005, 15:43
Does anyone have any information on the Cunard cargo ship Scotia (5837 Tons) built in 1966 and sold in 1970 to Singapore and renamed Neptune Amber. In the late sixties Cunard had weekly service between Liverpool and New York as well as US East Coast Outport service (Boston, Philadelphia, Baltimore, Norfolk etc.). This was all handled by the four sister ships Saxonia, Ivernia , Media, and Parthia as well as the two sister ships Scythia and Samaria. From her tonnage it would appear that Scotia was also a sister ship of these last two. I sailed on Saxonia at that time but for the life of me cannot remember anything about the Scotia or what service she was on. Can anyone help? Thanks.

R58484956
6th June 2005, 15:59
If you go to http://www.mowbars.plus.com the merchant navy site, look under ships "scotia" you will find 2 names of crew who sailed on her, with their e-mail addresses. Over to you now.

Marcus Cardew
6th June 2005, 20:19
Hi Ray,
The Media, Ivernia, Parthia and Saxonia were the original four 'Mickey Mouse' boats, (or 'Lambretta's, as they were referred to by the Pazzy boat steam engineers)
The Scotia, Scythia and Samaria were built later, to pretty much the same design, but had slightly larger engines, and about another 3/4 or a knot of speed. I remeber them being built over at Cammell Lairds (which seemed to take forever)

The Scotia was a little bit more special, as she was built with an Icebreaker bow, especially to allow her to do the Great Lakes service. I'm sure she got the title of 'Queen of the Great Lakes' one season for either being first in or last out one winter.
Cheers!
Marcus

RCHARLTON
7th June 2005, 00:37
Hi Marcus,
You've solved the mystery for me. She was on the Great Lakes service. I guess I can sleep at night now.

Incidentally the Passenger Boat folks may have been somewahat disdainful of us on the Mickey Mouse boats but that all seemed to change when they found out we had Double Diamond and Harp on tap in the Wardroom. They suddenly became very friendly towards us.

Thanks for your help.
Ray

Marcus Cardew
8th June 2005, 20:23
Hi Ray,
When I was on the Media, I remember a couple of times meeting up with a Queen boat in Mid Atlantic.. The routine was always the same, in that they would swing in quite close to us, and swish by at 30 odd knots (to our 17.5), and the Bridge crowd would gracefully wave down at us....

When we got the ACL boats (Atlantic Causeway and Conveyor), someone noticed that our bridge wing was about 5 feet higher than the QE2 bridge wing, so we waited for the day when they would cross our path for the first time. As luck would have it, this eventually happened when the QE2 was leaving Cherbourg as the Causeway was heading in... Nice narrow channel, so we passed pretty close, but best of all visibility was down to about 1/4 of a mile, so we were ready for her when she loomed out of the murk, and we could THEN gracefully wave down at them.. They were definitely not ready for waving up at us.

Justice at Last!
Cheers!
Marcus

RCHARLTON
8th June 2005, 21:18
Nothing like a little intra-company rivalry.

Ray

fred henderson
18th June 2005, 21:16
Hi guys
A little more information. Only the last three were built by Cammell Laird. They were only chartered, as Cunard did want to buy more cargo liners ahead of the launch of ACL. The Scythia and Samaria were owned by the shipyard and were sold to T & J Harrison in 1969. Scotia was owned by United Dominions Leasing until she was sold to Neptune Orient Lines in 1970.
Media and Saxonia were from John Readheads, North Shields. 1963. Media was sold to Western Australian Coastal Shipping Commission in 1971 as the Beroona, went to Greek owners in 1979 as Palm Trader and became a CTL in Bandar Abbas after an engine room fire in 1983. Saxonia was lengthened by 80 feet by Swan Hunter in 1970 and emerged as Brocklebank's Maharonda. Sold to Singaporean owners in 1978 and traded in the Far East until she was scrapped in China in 1983.
Parthia and Ivernia were built in Dundee by Caledon and had similar initial careers as the Readhead pair. Parthia went to Australia in 1971 as Wambiri. She was sold to Greek owners in 1979 and scrapped in India 1984 after suffering engine failure off Socotra. Ivernia was lengthened and became Manipur in 1970, was sold to MSC as Philippa in 1977 and scrapped in 1985.
Good, hard working ships, whatever the Pazzy boat guys think.
Fred Henderson

john g
18th June 2005, 22:17
Saw the Scotia off in Amsterdam to a crew flown in from singers. Got chased off with the 2nd steward to the airport and on to a "Dan Air" comet and back to Liverpool airport!!!!The sad thing was of course all the draft beer had to be disposed of into the dock as Neptune Orient Lines ran dry ships. Not like the "wardroom days". Does anyone remember Tommy Lacy the 2nd eng? all this happened during a cold winter as I was sent over as a junior to cover nights to keep the auxy boiler fired up to keep the ship and standby crew warm......john g

Aristo
22nd September 2005, 14:38
Hi guys
The Scythia and Samaria were owned by the shipyard and were sold to T & J Harrison in 1969. Scotia was owned by United Dominions Leasing until she was sold to Neptune Orient Lines in 1970.Fred Henderson

Any available information on the final fate of those three?

Derek Roger
4th October 2005, 14:16
Hi guys
A little more information. Only the last three were built by Cammell Laird. They were only chartered, as Cunard did want to buy more cargo liners ahead of the launch of ACL. The Scythia and Samaria were owned by the shipyard and were sold to T & J Harrison in 1969. Scotia was owned by United Dominions Leasing until she was sold to Neptune Orient Lines in 1970.
Media and Saxonia were from John Readheads, North Shields. 1963. Media was sold to Western Australian Coastal Shipping Commission in 1971 as the Beroona, went to Greek owners in 1979 as Palm Trader and became a CTL in Bandar Abbas after an engine room fire in 1983. Saxonia was lengthened by 80 feet by Swan Hunter in 1970 and emerged as Brocklebank's Maharonda. Sold to Singaporean owners in 1978 and traded in the Far East until she was scrapped in China in 1983.
Parthia and Ivernia were built in Dundee by Caledon and had similar initial careers as the Readhead pair. Parthia went to Australia in 1971 as Wambiri. She was sold to Greek owners in 1979 and scrapped in India 1984 after suffering engine failure off Socotra. Ivernia was lengthened and became Manipur in 1970, was sold to MSC as Philippa in 1977 and scrapped in 1985.
Fred Henderson

Fred ;
I sailed the Parthia from London to Singapore as 2 nd Eng when she was bought by the aussies. She was named the Staship 1 ( beam me up scotty ! ) for the run job .
I then flew to Japan to join the Mahsud ; when I got to my hotel and put on the TV to my shock there was on the news pictures of a typhoon in Singapore and the Staship was partilly beached .
She also as I recollect lost her rudder in mid atlantic 9 On the run job we read the old logs and got the full story . A message from the Parthia after wallowing for a few days before towing read " Spirits high but of of beer and backy .The QE 1 diverted to stand bye for a short time ( I think that was the only time a Queen diverted including war years ? perhaps some other members have information on that subject .
Regards Derek Roger

fred henderson
4th October 2005, 16:46
Sythia became Harrison's Merchant and Samaria became Scholar in November 1969. Both were employed on Harrison's West India general cargo trade until January 1979, when they were laid-up at Leith.
Both were quickly sold and Merchant became Sisal Trader for Totness Shipping of Monrovia. In April 1984 she was under arrest at Mayotte Island Madagascar when she was caught up in a cyclone and driven ashore. She was refloated but did not trade again and was scrapped in Pakistan later in the year.
Scholar was sold to Manta Shipping of Liberia and renamed Steel Trader. In August 1980 she was trapped at Khorramshahr in the Shatt-el-Arab by the outbreak of the Iraq-Iran war. She was shelled and abandoned.
Scotia was sold to Neptune Orient Lines, Singapore in 1970 and was renamed Neptune Amber. They operated her until 1977 when she became Sri Kailash for Himalaya Shipping co, India. She was laid-up at Bombay in 1982 and scrapped in 1984.

Fred

RCHARLTON
4th October 2005, 17:03
Fred,
You are an absolute goldmine of information. It is really interesting and sometimes pretty sad to find out what eventually happened to ships with which you were familiar. Thanks for all the info.

Regards,
Ray

Mike England
23rd December 2007, 22:43
I joined the Scotia as second mate in Cammel Lairds in the latter stage of her build. The captain was Reggie Venn. Scotia did not have an ice breaker bow but an ice strengthened bow. Scotia also had a bridge controlled main engine making it easier to manouvre especially whilst in the ice. As far as I knew the vessel was designed to trade to Montreal and Quebec all the year round.
I first joined Scotia on 12th December 1966 and stayed with her until December 1968. During this time we traded to Montreal and Quebec and did not do any trips up The Great Lakes.
She was a good ship and was exceptional in the ice which we encountered in and around the St Lawrence.
One voyage lasted longer than scheduled, we arrived in Montreal in December 67 having had a hard slog up the St Lawrence in quite thick ice. A week after our arrival the St Lawrence was closed to navigation due to the fact that it was completly blocked by thick ice. Ice breakers were brought in to clear this ice to prevent flooding in Montreal. We were stuck in Montreal for almost two months while the ice breakers cleared the block. The day the block was broken I was on the bridge and I suddenly saw the ice move and quickly realised that despite we had our anchor cables ashore nothing would keep us alongside. We were swept away ripping the bollards from the dock, our accomodation ladder acted as a fender between ourselves and the ship that was moored astern of us.The engineers did a fantastic job and we had main engines within 10 minutes of being swept away. Captain Venn was tremendous and calmly broke us free from the huge lump of ice that we were trapped and took us safely back to the berth. We sustained minor damage and returned to Liverpool on the 5th March 1968 two months late.
Hope you find this interestng
Mike England

Derek Roger
24th December 2007, 00:46
Great story Mike .
The Mickey Mouse Boats were quite special . Only one I sailed on was Parthia ( Run job to Hong Kong ) although I saw her doing her measured mile while still a school kid ( from Tayport ; Fife )

Cheers Derek

Mike England
19th March 2008, 21:39
Great story Mike .
The Mickey Mouse Boats were quite special . Only one I sailed on was Parthia ( Run job to Hong Kong ) although I saw her doing her measured mile while still a school kid ( from Tayport ; Fife )

Cheers Derek

I was searching through some old photographs and came across these two of the Scotia. The Mersey pic was taken in December 1966, the other was taken early in 68. Hope you find them interesting.
I was lucky enough to have sailed on all the Mickey Mouse Ships and my last was as mate on the Samaria.
Cheers Mike England.

tony moorefield
13th April 2008, 16:35
Hi mike I was the engineering cadet on mv scotia when you sailed on her my nickname was flash (because i dashed everywhere) I remember captain Venn and the chief eng was Pat Cranston (the Laird) 2nd eng malcolm ? (known as malcolm mustard) 3rd eng was bob (chuckles) and electrician Kenny Muir or I think a scots lad called Jim and there was a 3rd officer ? nicknamed careless rapture .I have been looking in my discharge book but cant find any entries for the scotia i was beginning to think i had dreampt it all. I later joined cp ships and sailed on cp ambassador(formely Beaveroak) for 6 months but i cant remember which ship i went up great lakes on Detroit .Cleveland,Chicago, Milwaukee , we got hit by manchester liner who was coming up astern of us trying to free us from thick ice and other 1 got damaged in milwaukee but that time it was my trip off .
Had many fond memories of nights in wardroom with tennants lager and someone earlier asked about Tommy Lacy I sailed with him on scotia he was known as T.S Lacey (Twin Screw from his days on georgic and britannic) I remember Reggie Venn in New York watching weather man he christened Chalkie because of the way he drew isobars and arrows in white chalk over weather map. Now ive found this forum i will post some more of my memories
regards tony

davej
10th July 2008, 16:09
I was searching through some old photographs and came across these two of the Scotia. The Mersey pic was taken in December 1966, the other was taken early in 68. Hope you find them interesting.
I was lucky enough to have sailed on all the Mickey Mouse Ships and my last was as mate on the Samaria.
Cheers Mike England.

Hi Mike.

You may not remember me but I remember you well.

My name is Dave James and I was 2nd cook & baker on the Scotia from December 1966 to June 1969 (I was the singing baker).

I have a picture taken in the crew bar (The Ruptured Duck) during that time and I believe you are in that picture.

I shall try to dig it out and get it posted on the forum. (On this thread)

If oyu are inclined to, get in touch through the forum for a little reminiscence.

Hope to hear from you. All the best.

Dave James.

Radioroger
18th August 2008, 15:05
Hi Mike and Tony

I too sailed on the MV Scotia at the time you did Mike. I too sailed on her from the builders yard. I remember you well Mike ! I was Roger the radio officer.
I have quite a few photos of the Scotia including one of Reggie Venn on the bridge viewing our first iceberg !

Your story of Scotia in Montreal is interesting Mike. I remember when we sailed into Montreal the heavy lift ship "John Cabot" had fallen over on to the wharf due to a ballasting failure.

I must dig out my diary from that time and dig out more information. I always recorded noon position and arrival and departure from ports in it, so I still have all that information from my voyages.

I also sailed on a number of the other Cunard Freighters including Saxonia and Scythia. I remember the friendly rivalry about which ship would get to NewYork first after we all left Friday from the various UK ports - Liverpool, Glasgow or Southampton.

Later I worked for 17 years with the Australian Antarctic Division and sailed on many ice strengthed ships going to Antarctica - not as RO but as passenger to get to Antarctica as part of my work of supervising communications technical and operations staff in Antarctica.

All the best - I hope to hear more from you both.

Roger

Mike England
6th September 2008, 16:27
Dear Shipmates,
Good to hear from Tony and Radioroger.Please find below a number of Photographs which were taken whilst I was on Board Scotia.
The picture of the poor horse on number 4 hatch is particularly sad. We were taking the horses to New York when one of them jumped over the half door and crashed onto the steel deck. We tried everything to get the horse back on its feet but it died on the deck and we had to bury it at sea.
On a brighter note can anybody put a name to all the guys in the photographs taken in the wardroom. Some I Know such as myself.Radioroger, Bob (chuckles) Ball, George Henderson and Malcolm 2nd Eng but the rest I have regrettably forgotton. Hope someone can help jog my failing memory.

All the best Mike England.

robert moon
7th September 2008, 19:27
Hello to all,I was the bearded mechanic on and off the Scotia,spent most of my time on 12 to 4 watch with Bob ball (chuckles) I got told off by Tom Lacy for refring to him as such.The ship had a good company,many very good people,I have fond memories.
Good luck,Rob.

Derek Roger
7th September 2008, 23:54
Was there not a chap who sailed on the Mickey mouse Boats called " The mad Monk " ?
Derek

Nick Jones
8th September 2008, 09:28
Derek,

I believe the "Mad Monk" was second engineer on the Manipur when we were on the Concordia charter. Geoff Hoskins or something like that, ex Baltic Lines Chief.
Cheers,
Nick Jones.

Derek Roger
8th September 2008, 15:36
Derek,

I believe the "Mad Monk" was second engineer on the Manipur when we were on the Concordia charter. Geoff Hoskins or something like that, ex Baltic Lines Chief.
Cheers,
Nick Jones.

That sounds about right . I did not sail with him but I had a third engineer who had ( John Torr ) . Apparently this fellow used to go ashore in a monks habit in New York !

Derek

robert moon
8th September 2008, 16:06
Saw the Scotia off in Amsterdam to a crew flown in from singers. Got chased off with the 2nd steward to the airport and on to a "Dan Air" comet and back to Liverpool airport!!!!The sad thing was of course all the draft beer had to be disposed of into the dock as Neptune Orient Lines ran dry ships. Not like the "wardroom days". Does anyone remember Tommy Lacy the 2nd eng? all this happened during a cold winter as I was sent over as a junior to cover nights to keep the auxy boiler fired up to keep the ship and standby crew warm......john g

Hi,I remember Tom Lacy very well,he was rather abrupt at times but had a heart of gold,I often wonder what happened to him.
How did you cope with those mean little steam boiler feed pumps when keeping the boiler going,I had nights of hell with them when on port watches in Montreal.If you found them ok then I did a good job so will give myself a pat on the back.Good luck,Rob.

robert moon
9th September 2008, 08:48
Hi mike I was the engineering cadet on mv scotia when you sailed on her my nickname was flash (because i dashed everywhere) I remember captain Venn and the chief eng was Pat Cranston (the Laird) 2nd eng malcolm ? (known as malcolm mustard) 3rd eng was bob (chuckles) and electrician Kenny Muir or I think a scots lad called Jim and there was a 3rd officer ? nicknamed careless rapture .I have been looking in my discharge book but cant find any entries for the scotia i was beginning to think i had dreampt it all. I later joined cp ships and sailed on cp ambassador(formely Beaveroak) for 6 months but i cant remember which ship i went up great lakes on Detroit .Cleveland,Chicago, Milwaukee , we got hit by manchester liner who was coming up astern of us trying to free us from thick ice and other 1 got damaged in milwaukee but that time it was my trip off .
Had many fond memories of nights in wardroom with tennants lager and someone earlier asked about Tommy Lacy I sailed with him on scotia he was known as T.S Lacey (Twin Screw from his days on georgic and britannic) I remember Reggie Venn in New York watching weather man he christened Chalkie because of the way he drew isobars and arrows in white chalk over weather map. Now ive found this forum i will post some more of my memories
regards tony

I remember you flash,you were the ex helsby grammar school boy from Runcorn,if my wonderful memory is still as good ?
good luck,Rob.(A)

Radioroger
19th September 2008, 07:11
Dear Shipmates,
Good to hear from Tony and Radioroger.Please find below a number of Photographs which were taken whilst I was on Board Scotia.
The picture of the poor horse on number 4 hatch is particularly sad. We were taking the horses to New York when one of them jumped over the half door and crashed onto the steel deck. We tried everything to get the horse back on its feet but it died on the deck and we had to bury it at sea.
On a brighter note can anybody put a name to all the guys in the photographs taken in the wardroom. Some I Know such as myself.Radioroger, Bob (chuckles) Ball, George Henderson and Malcolm 2nd Eng but the rest I have regrettably forgotton. Hope someone can help jog my failing memory.

Hi Mike it good to hear from you again.

Fantastic to see the photos including those that included myself ( for those that do not know me - the guy with the glasses).
I checked my diary and the party with the ladies was 4 January 1967. I can give you three of their names. Sharon, Judie and Brenda.
I cannot remember the singsong party photo - was that New Year celebration 4 days earlier ? The decorations look similar.

The photo of the horse is quite a coincidence. A couple of weeks ago I was talking by PM to Tony Selman and we were trying to see whether we met. I checked my diary and stated :-

"I found one entry on 23 August mentioned Samaria. ( Tony was on Samaria at that date.)
1200Z One of horses on deck broken out and jumped out of stall. Would not get up.Went down to see. Asked Samaria/ Parthia about it. Later in watch horse died. Off watch 1400Z."
I am now puzzled why I had stated "asked" Samaria/Parthia about it. Were we trying to get veterinary advice about what to do ?

So far I have not found any more names to put on your photos. I do have some photos that I will scan and put on forum.

In my diary I found an entry to say I joined Scoita 15 December 1966. The next day on 16 December 1966 the Scotia entertained Sir Basil Smallpiece and Lord Bancroft aboard. I think it was Lady Bancroft that presented pewter tankards to the officers.

I do have a list of all the noon positions and arrival/departure dates of Scotia when I was on her. You probably kept them as well. They help to give a complete picture of Scotia's movements.

All the best

Roger Latham

robert moon
23rd September 2008, 16:18
All the chat about the Scotia has brought back many memories of this fine ship and the characters who sailed with her,some of whom stand out well in my mind.Tom Lacy 2nd engineer,Malcom Amand 2nd Engineer both of whom I had the greatest respect for.Pat Cranstoun chief engineer who went to New Zealand.Bob Ball 3rd engineer from Southport who I spent many hours with on the 12 to 4 trying to keep each other awake.My fellow mechanics,Harry Jordon,Robert Magee,George Edmead,John Burrows and never to be forgotten,especialy by Tom Lacy Charlie Valpo Mullholland,all fine fellows.
The Scotia was from my view a happy ship if not a little uncomfortable in heavy weather,I had close on a 6" of ice down the bulkhead of my cabin at one time.
A few more of the people who stand out in my memory are Wallace the chippy from Troon complaining about the cold,Joe Nolan from Arklow also a chppy,we had great times in Montreal.Dave the singing cook,always happy and ready to smile.Paddy Brennan,bosun,a fine Newfoundland man with a great sence of humour.
I remember well the smell of trees entering the engine room as we worked the Welland canal locks at night,mixed with the aroma of hot compressors its quite a mix.The smell of donuts from New Brighton would enter the engine room as we closed in to the lock in Liverpool.
there are many stories that could be told and other characters that I remember,I often wondered what became of all the folk I met on this lovely ship,does any one else remember these people? From reading the threads I now know what became of Scotia,I guess she has returned as washing machines,razor blades and Korean cars ?
All the Best,Bob.

john g
29th September 2008, 21:47
Derek,

Cheers,
Nick Jones.

Geoff Hunking was the guy he went ashore in Hamburg the night before we paid off the Manipur ( ex Ivernia ) never saw him again.....know as the mad monk cause he was bald on top as a cartoon monk would be. He was a mate of a long lost friend of mine who he refered to as "powerful piere" 3/O peter sumpton....anyone remember him ?.......john g

R396040
14th October 2008, 20:32
Hi Mike,
Greetings from France. Great to read your entry and even see myself on one of the photos (sober as always) and see some of our old shipmates. Remember chuckles well. Great times.
George Henderson (stuart R396040)

Mike England
21st October 2008, 22:23
Hi George, Great to hear from you after so long we really had some good times on the Scotia.
Must be nice living in South West France all that wine sunshine and uncrowded roads. Jenny and I have a touring caravan and we have spent many happy times in your adopted country.
Hope you get in touch again and that you enjoy your retirement.

All the best Mike England

R396040
27th October 2008, 21:32
Hi George, Great to hear from you after so long we really had some good times on the Scotia.
Must be nice living in South West France all that wine sunshine and uncrowded roads. Jenny and I have a touring caravan and we have spent many happy times in your adopted country.
Hope you get in touch again and that you enjoy your retirement.

All the best Mike England

Hi Mike,
Nice to hear from you too. Yes Scotia was a great ship for me, a really good bunch of guys in all departments, I think I found that on all the Cunard cargo ships I sailed on, never quite the same on some of my later ships, North Sea Ferries, CP tanker,BR ferry except for Panocean which also had a great crowd. I left sea in 77 and went on to oil rigs,Saudi and Libya till retirement in 96. Moved to France in 93 and have had six houses in four different areas of France in that time. Like you and your good lady we love it here. Be nice to see you if you are passing by in your caravan,we live in Charente.
Take care, best wishes George Henderson

Norman Hatton
20th December 2008, 20:42
That sounds about right . I did not sail with him but I had a third engineer who had ( John Torr ) . Apparently this fellow used to go ashore in a monks habit in New York !

Derek

His name was Geoff Hunking - called himself the mad monk as he sported an involuntary tonsure! He wasn't a monk in any way shape or form, but he was mad!! - knew his job though and was a decent fellow to sail with for all that.

robert moon
14th January 2009, 19:56
Dear Shipmates,

Hi Mike and all,Attached if it worked is a photo of myself (mechanic) sitting down and Bob Ball (chuckles) 3rd engineer flogging the log.The control room was quite comfortable being air conditioned,it was rather odd though initialy trusting the control of the engine to the bridge,i must say mike that you judged it well.
Good luck,Bob.

Pat Kennedy
15th January 2009, 19:43
Fred Henderson

Fred,
I joined the Ivernia in the Shipyard in Dundee and can say that of the fifty odd ships in my discharge book, she was far and away the best of them. A well designed and built cargo ship, (except for an annoying fault which cut out the main engine when she rolled very heavily, bringing the cooling water intake above the surface), nice accomodation, good and plentiful grub, and a good crowd from top to bottom. The master was Captain Shimmin.
Regards,
Pat

alex1951
25th August 2011, 19:38
Hi Mike.

You may not remember me but I remember you well.

My name is Dave James and I was 2nd cook & baker on the Scotia from December 1966 to June 1969 (I was the singing baker).

I have a picture taken in the crew bar (The Ruptured Duck) during that time and I believe you are in that picture.

I shall try to dig it out and get it posted on the forum. (On this thread)

If oyu are inclined to, get in touch through the forum for a little reminiscence.

Hope to hear from you. All the best.

Dave James.

hi dave was looking up on the scotia when i got on this site an seen ur post was on the scotia in catering was on it in 1969 did u play the guiter if u did no u well was on the scotia was in montreal when the first man landed on the moon went over to the ilsand to watch it was also on when we had to go to drydock in manitowoc hope to hear from u dave all the best alex

pensioner
25th August 2011, 22:24
Hi all.
I stood bye the Mickey Mouse Boats during the Seamans Strike in 1966, the Lecky I was seconded too was a Scot known as Black Jake. If my memory serves me correct he looked a lot like the guy second from the right in Mike Englands 2nd photo, the one in the pullover. My first trip was on the Carinthia where I stayed until she was laid-up prior to sale to Sitma Line, a company which I later sailed for in their ALVA Tankers.
Rgds

alex1951
26th August 2011, 10:37
Hi mike I was the engineering cadet on mv scotia when you sailed on her my nickname was flash (because i dashed everywhere) I remember captain Venn and the chief eng was Pat Cranston (the Laird) 2nd eng malcolm ? (known as malcolm mustard) 3rd eng was bob (chuckles) and electrician Kenny Muir or I think a scots lad called Jim and there was a 3rd officer ? nicknamed careless rapture .I have been looking in my discharge book but cant find any entries for the scotia i was beginning to think i had dreampt it all. I later joined cp ships and sailed on cp ambassador(formely Beaveroak) for 6 months but i cant remember which ship i went up great lakes on Detroit .Cleveland,Chicago, Milwaukee , we got hit by manchester liner who was coming up astern of us trying to free us from thick ice and other 1 got damaged in milwaukee but that time it was my trip off Had many fond memories of nights in wardroom with tennants lager and someone earlier asked about Tommy Lacy I sailed with him on scotia he was known as T.S Lacey (Twin Screw from his days on georgic and britannic) I remember Reggie Venn in New York watching weather man he christened Chalkie because of the way he drew isobars and arrows in white chalk over weather map. Now ive found this forum i will post some more of my memories
regards tony

hi tony dont remember the manchester liner incident but was on the scotia as crew messroom steward when it got damaged in milwaukee & we got towed to drydock in manitowoc with i think a damaged prop an rudder had a good time in manitowoc only draw back being only 18 had to go to the teen bar outside the town for a beer when ashore had some good times there though alex

shipmate17
26th August 2011, 13:52
Any available information on the final fate of those three?
SCYTHIA ex 1969 MERCHANT. 1979 SISAL TRADER. 1986 MOUNT IBECH. scrapped Gadani beach 1986.
SAMARIA ex 1969 SCHOLAR. 1980 STEEL TRADER. shelled Khorramshahr Hulked 1980.
SCOTIA ex 1970 NEPTUNE AMBER. 1977 SRI KAILASH. scrapped Bombay.1984.
Cheers.

ChrisMckenzie
25th December 2011, 19:07
I was surfing the internat the other day looking for photos of previous ships when I came across this wedsite and the Scotia.

I joined Scotia as deck cadet on first trip in Surrey Docks about January 1967. I did her 2nd trip to Montreal and still have a copy of the photo of her going through the ice up the St Lawrence. We stopped in Three Rivers overnight as we couldn't navigate the river at night as all the lite buoys had been lifted for the winter.

After the Montreal run we did New York out of Huskinson Dock Liverpool. I recently (2008/09) berthed next door in Canada dock in RFA Fort Victoria while we were waiting to refit across the river at Cammell Lairds, all very derelict now.

I remeber the trip when the horse managed to get out of the box while the bosun's team were cleaning the box out. I should be in the photo as I was on the deck trying to get it up and back in the box but sadly in died.

Later we ran out of Glasgow with whisky to New York, Philidelphia,
Baltimore and Norfolk with tobacco homeward. Stopped in Greenock, James Watt dock, before going up the Glasgow, Yorkhill Quay. The surrounding wharehouses have all gone now but the jetty is still there, last time I looked there was a square rigged ship there as a museum with a restuarant on the end of the jetty.

I was with Scotia for about a year then went to Maskelyia and the Scythia. After a period back at college I went to Mahsud and then
Masirah. After second mates I had a year with China Navigation (John Swires) and then the RFA in 1972 where I still am. I am presently sitting in may cabin late on Christmas Day, the ship, RFA Diligence, is in Bahrain.

I remember Mike England, Frank (I think) Lawley was the mate and Reggie Venn the captain. I think the 3rd mate was Patterson (it's a long time ago) but we had a few over the 11 months I was there. The first time we sailed from Liverpool I was sent across the road to the pub (the Sandhills - now long gone) to tell the bosun to come back to the ship as we were sailing !!! Intersting memories.

Chris

R396040
26th December 2011, 18:51
I was surfing the internat the other day looking for photos of previous ships when I came across this wedsite and the Scotia.

I joined Scotia as deck cadet on first trip in Surrey Docks about January 1967. I did her 2nd trip to Montreal and still have a copy of the photo of her going through the ice up the St Lawrence. We stopped in Three Rivers overnight as we couldn't navigate the river at night as all the lite buoys had been lifted for the winter.

After the Montreal run we did New York out of Huskinson Dock Liverpool. I recently (2008/09) berthed next door in Canada dock in RFA Fort Victoria while we were waiting to refit across the river at Cammell Lairds, all very derelict now.

I remeber the trip when the horse managed to get out of the box while the bosun's team were cleaning the box out. I should be in the photo as I was on the deck trying to get it up and back in the box but sadly in died.

Later we ran out of Glasgow with whisky to New York, Philidelphia,
Baltimore and Norfolk with tobacco homeward. Stopped in Greenock, James Watt dock, before going up the Glasgow, Yorkhill Quay. The surrounding wharehouses have all gone now but the jetty is still there, last time I looked there was a square rigged ship there as a museum with a restuarant on the end of the jetty.

I was with Scotia for about a year then went to Maskelyia and the Scythia. After a period back at college I went to Mahsud and then
Masirah. After second mates I had a year with China Navigation (John Swires) and then the RFA in 1972 where I still am. I am presently sitting in may cabin late on Christmas Day, the ship, RFA Diligence, is in Bahrain.

I remember Mike England, Frank (I think) Lawley was the mate and Reggie Venn the captain. I think the 3rd mate was Patterson (it's a long time ago) but we had a few over the 11 months I was there. The first time we sailed from Liverpool I was sent across the road to the pub (the Sandhills - now long gone) to tell the bosun to come back to the ship as we were sailing !!! Intersting memories.

Chris

Hi Chris,
Happy Christmas, In your last paragraph the mates name was Peter Lawley who I kept in touch with for years,unfortunately he "crossed the bar" a few years ago now. Great guy like all the others mentioned above, Just checked my dis;bk and see I was on board too for the year that you were there,Id bought her out of the shipyard new. My name was "George" Henderson and I was Purser/CS then, left Cunard in 1972 did another five years at sea then on to oil rigs and overseas work till retirement in 96. Always fanci ed RFA but nearest I got was RNXS yearslater/
Happy New Year.... Stuart (aka George) Henderson France

TANGELO
29th August 2012, 11:00
I sailed on "Scotia" between Feb. 1968 from London until Oct. 1968 Liverpool on the New York monthly shuttle with three other ships. Samaria,Scythia & Ivernia. I was AB. on board a very happy ship. Larry Gorst "scouser" was the bosun. Remember the Sandhills well & the Mkt. Diner in NY. We named the ships pub "Ruptured Duck". Also carried first containers on deck for Cunard. Bit of a disaster.
Also sailed on "Assyria" & "Andania".

alex1951
29th August 2012, 18:19
hi tangelo just missed u on the scotia i joined in glasgow on 18/12/68 as cat/boy in messroom stay on her till 09/09/69 as u said it was a happy ship had some good times on her

harrygeorge02
26th September 2012, 10:10
Hi To All
I sailed on Her From June 1969 to Late 1970 when she was sold...
My Nane is Harry Did 18 months on her...As You Said its A Great Happy Ship With a Great Captain Regge....
All the Best Harry.... Hobby now is www.humberside-flyers.com

darmoco
1st March 2013, 17:30
Dear Shipmates,

Hi Mike - I am in the photo taken in the wardroom during the Scotia's
maiden voyage. 5th from the left in between the two girls. I joined
her in Cammel Lairds. Seem to remember we had a lot of problems
with the heating for the acommodation on that trip.
All the best Dave Ellison (Electrician)

R396040
1st March 2013, 19:41
Hi Mike - I am in the photo taken in the wardroom during the Scotia's
maiden voyage. 5th from the left in between the two girls. I joined
her in Cammel Lairds. Seem to remember we had a lot of problems
with the heating for the acommodation on that trip.
All the best Dave Ellison (Electrician)

Hi Dave.
Do you realise Mikes entry is about five years old now ? I was in touch with Mike a few years back after reading the earlier entry .I was in the same photo looked like I was asleep but more likely a little sloshed. I was Purser/Chf Stwd on Scotia from the shipyard and quite a while after. Great ship,great crowd of guys and happy memories.... Cheers Dave
Geurge (Stuart) Henderson

darmoco
10th March 2013, 18:10
Hi Dave.
Do you realise Mikes entry is about five years old now ? I was in touch with Mike a few years back after reading the earlier entry .I was in the same photo looked like I was asleep but more likely a little sloshed. I was Purser/Chf Stwd on Scotia from the shipyard and quite a while after. Great ship,great crowd of guys and happy memories.... Cheers Dave
Geurge (Stuart) Henderson

Hi George, thanks for message, I hadn't noticed the dates on Mikes
posts. Hope he is OK, a really nice guy as I remember. Glad to hear
you are OK. Dave Ellison

R396040
10th March 2013, 20:03
Hi George, thanks for message, I hadn't noticed the dates on Mikes
posts. Hope he is OK, a really nice guy as I remember. Glad to hear
you are OK. Dave Ellison

Thanks for your reply Dave. always nice to hear from old shipmates, Yes Mike had worked on the containers terminals in Liverpool after his seagoing career, lived over on the Wirral I believe. His father was also a Cunard man and after the Queeens ended up C/S on the cargo ships like me.
Passed through sunny "Donny" recently en route to a graduation ceremony in Lincoln.
Cheers
George

Denis Brookes
2nd January 2014, 00:39
His name was Geoff Hunking - called himself the mad monk as he sported an involuntary tonsure! He wasn't a monk in any way shape or form, but he was mad!! - knew his job though and was a decent fellow to sail with for all that.

Hi Norm
Assume you are the same Norm Hatton that attended Birkenhead Tech 1964-66. If you are still around, say hello.
Cheers
Denis Brookes