Linking to entries in Directory

Bill Forster
4th May 2008, 11:48
Would somebody please tell me how to link to my entry in the Directory for MV SUTHERLAND from the article on DOXFORD under engineering and from the entry for TRAMPS under ship types?

Bill

K urgess
4th May 2008, 12:58
Bill,
Open two windows in your browser if possible.
In one be where you want to post the link.
In the other go to the page you want to link to.
In the latter click on the url address bar in your browser then right click and copy.
In the first one go to the word such as "here" or "this" that you want to use as a link and highlight it. Go to the world with a chain link icon above the typing window and click on it. Paste in the contents of your clipboard.
Change the highlighted word so it stands out with bold type and a different colour.
Or just paste the contents of your clipboard into the first window.
Hope this helps
Kris

Bill Forster
4th May 2008, 21:10
Gosh! Sounds complicated!

And I'm an Apple use with a 'one click' mouse.

But shall give it a try.

Bill

K urgess
4th May 2008, 21:40
Bill,
If you know how to copy and paste with your Mac one click mouse then just copy the URL from the top of the page you want to refer to and paste it into the page you want to link from.
Unfortunately my daughter who is the Mac expert is not here at the moment so I can't help further.
Cheers
Kris

Bill Forster
4th May 2008, 23:20
Seems to work, take a look at MV Sutherland on page: http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/guides/William_Doxford_and_Sons#Early_Engines

but not very elegant, much prefer when link word is highlighted and linking page invisible.

Thanks!

Bill

benjidog
4th May 2008, 23:32
Bill,

Here are two alternatives for you:

1. Put a square bracket in front of and after your URL - this then just shows up as a number in blue but I don't think that is what you want.

2. If you want a hot link from text, type the URL with a bracket in front of it, then a space, then the text you want to display and close the square bracket like this:

[http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/guides/MV_Sutherland MV Sutherland]

Regards,

Brian

[MyURL | my hotlink text]

Regards,

Brian