Just to say hello and introduce myself

Laurence Simpson
4th May 2008, 19:52
I've been following all of your comments and photos in the gallery for a few days now and have found it very interesting having sailed myself in the Merchant Navy in the early '70s. It brings back some good memories of great times.(==D)
A bit of info about myself from my sailing days:-

Started sailing on cargo ships with New Zealand Shipping Company, Ben Line, Salvesens, Gibsons Gas Tankers and Da Nort Boats.

Now working on a small inter-island ferry doing five minute trips across Lerwick Harbour(Cloud)

I come from a seafaring background dating back many generations on both sides of the family.
My late father (Laurence R Simpson) was a Master Mariner on Texaco tankers and also sailed with Caltex and Salvesens at the Whaling.
It would be interesting to hear from anyone who might have sailed with him.

Cheers
Darkrum

R58484956
4th May 2008, 19:56
Greetings Laurence and a warm welcome to SN. Thanks for signing on and look forward to your contributions. Enjoy the site and all that goes with it from a member in the south of England. Bon voyage.

K urgess
4th May 2008, 20:08
Welcome aboard from East Yorkshire, Darkrum.
Glad you're finding your way around the ship alright.
Sounds like the sort of Merch career that will fit in well with this crew.
Have a good trip.

Bruce Carson
4th May 2008, 20:23
Laurence, from Michigan, a warm welcome to Ships Nostalgia.
It's good to know you're enjoying our site.
Chances are you will be hearing from old shipmates of your father and, possibly, of yourself.

Bruce

non descript
4th May 2008, 21:38
Laurence, a warm welcome to you. Thank you for joining the community; enjoy the site and all it has to offer, and we very much look forward to your postings in due course. Bon Voyage

John Campbell
4th May 2008, 21:43
Hi Laurence,
read your post with great interest.Although not having served with your late father I met him twice whilst he was in command of VLCCs in the Texaco Fleet when I was also a Master.

Capt Simpson and his fellow Shetlander Whaler and and Master Mariner Andrew Anderson of Yell were excellent seamen and respected Masters in the fleet.

There were four other Shelties in Caltex at this time, if memory serves me right - Eddie Hutcheson , Alex Simpson, Jack Leask and Malcolm Linklater

Texaco Tankships have website tota.co.uk which you could contact for more info.

Best Regards

John Campbell

Derek Roger
4th May 2008, 22:17
Welcome from Canada Laurence ., Regards Derek

benjidog
4th May 2008, 23:05
Welcome from Lancashire.

I hope you will enjoy the site.

Regards,

Brian

gdynia
5th May 2008, 00:49
Welcome onboard to SN and enjoy the voyage

Laurence Simpson
5th May 2008, 21:41
hello john campbell nice to hear from you speaking kindly about dad and the rest of the caltex gang. alex simpson sadly died afew years ago. malcom linklater was my tutor at leith nautical college in 1969 .i told my mother about your message she was delighted to of your tribute to dad .many thanks laurence

MervynHutton
6th May 2008, 10:28
Hi Laurence,

I was Chief Officer with your dad as Master on the Texaco Hamburg in 1971 and have fond memories of him. He was always smiling and of very even temperament, even when things were going wrong. It seems to me that many Shetlanders were like that, Andy Anderson and another Anderson who was only known as 'Hairy' Anderson, 2nd Engineer on the Gloucester for many years, were in the same mould. I think that "Hairy" ended up on the Sullom Voe tugs as Chief. Welcome to the ships nostalgia crew, I'm sure you will enjoy it.

Laurence Simpson
7th May 2008, 21:34
Hi Laurence,

I was Chief Officer with your dad as Master on the Texaco Hamburg in 1971 and have fond memories of him. He was always smiling and of very even temperament, even when things were going wrong. It seems to me that many Shetlanders were like that, Andy Anderson and another Anderson who was only known as 'Hairy' Anderson, 2nd Engineer on the Gloucester for many years, were in the same mould. I think that "Hairy" ended up on the Sullom Voe tugs as Chief. Welcome to the ships nostalgia crew, I'm sure you will enjoy it.
Hello Merv,
Its a small World isnt it? Thanks very much for the tribute to my late father. Can you remember if my mother was on that trip with you? she joined in Tenerife and had to climb up the ladder to the gangway when the ship was light.
I will be posting one of my fathers photos of the ship very shortly.
Nice to hear from you.
Regards
Lourie

MervynHutton
8th May 2008, 10:51
Hello Merv,
Its a small World isnt it? Thanks very much for the tribute to my late father. Can you remember if my mother was on that trip with you? she joined in Tenerife and had to climb up the ladder to the gangway when the ship was light.
I will be posting one of my fathers photos of the ship very shortly.
Nice to hear from you.
Regards
Lourie

I can't remember if your mother was there or not. I was on the ship from March 1971 to October 1971 and Captain John Ward was there from the start up until July that year when your father relieved him. You are right about it being a small world, this site is great for unearthing old shipmates and since I have been a member (2 months only) I have come across about half a dozen old shipmates or their families.

Best regards,