The Helmwood 1959

sudsy43
5th May 2008, 15:34
Hello my name is John Sudds (Sudsy)
I did my first trip to sea in the mv helmwood as cabin boy in 1959/60 i would like to hear from anybody who sailed on that trip, We left immingham in march 1959 & we were away for around 12months Canada & the USA (east coast) Gulf of Mexico in the south to the St. Lawerance in the North it would be good to hear from anybody who sailed on her on that trip. or anybody who sailed on her at all.

K urgess
5th May 2008, 15:40
Welcome to the crew, Sudsy.
I'm sure if there's anyone aboard that knows you or sailed on the Helmwood they'll get in touch.
Meanwhile find your way around the ship and enjoy the trip.

non descript
5th May 2008, 20:51
Sudsy, a warm welcome to you. Thank you for joining the community; enjoy the site and all it has to offer, and we very much look forward to your postings in due course. Bon Voyage

Bruce Carson
5th May 2008, 21:53
Sudsy, from Michigan, a warm welcome to Ships Nostalgia.
It's good to have you onboard--make yourself at home and feel free to join in our friendly discussions at any time.

Bruce

gdynia
6th May 2008, 04:04
Welcome onboard to SN and enjoy the voyage

R58484956
6th May 2008, 19:23
Greetings John and welcome to SN. Bon voyage.

briandurham
14th December 2010, 22:32
Hello Sudsy,
Well its taken you a long time for you to get a reply, but just to prove that there is someone out there who was on the Helmwood....
I was the Sparks on that trip. The Old Man if I remember correctly was Captain Henson. I joined the ship in Cardiff in at the start of April.
We went to Quebec to do a coal run from there to St Johns,Nova Scotia, but only did one trip then we were subcontracted to a newsprint Co - Anglopap - and loaded Newsprint for New York.
Then we went back to Quebec, then, Newport News, Virginia. We then picked up some road building materials in Richmond Virginia, which we took to a US Navy Base on Bermuda.
Then the fun started when we were sent to Moa? near Baracoa in Cuba, to pick up Chrome Ore for Baltimore. Fidel Castro had just got into power, and he interned the ship for about three weeks, a bunch of his Green Shirts and Marineros with their Russian Rifles sat around on the ship during that time to make sure that we didn't go anywhere. Eventually we loaded Chrome and set sail for London - only to be diverted after leaving port for Baltimore !
Then we sailed to Curacoa to pick up phosphates fro Baton Rouge, Mississippi, only just getting into the delta - before the hurricane Donna that had been following us for six days, veered off and did a lot of destruction around the eastern Gulf.
We took Petroleum Coke from Port Arthur, Texas to Baie Comeau, Canada, did a couple of other trips on that coast; finally loading up with pit props in Miramichi, New Brunswick for Calais. We got back to the South Shields in the October, I think.
Anyway it was an interesting, eventful trip.
Good to hear from someone else that was on it,
Best Wishes,
Brian Durham.
Winchester,
Hampshire

billyboy
14th December 2010, 22:49
A warm welcome aboard from the Philippines. Please enjoy all this great site has to offer

sudsy43
20th February 2011, 19:45
Hello Brian
Good to hear from you but ive got a feeling your trip on the Helmwood was the one after mine I payed off her in dry dock in Cardiff at either the end of march or beginning of April 1960 but after hearing what you said about your trip I wish I had rejoined her but never the less it was good of you to put pen to paper and contact me sorry it took so long for me to reply Thats because i have been driving trucks into Europe over the last few years & ive not been home much however im now semi retired & have a lot more time to spend on doing thing i like.
hope we speak again soon regards John.

briandurham
18th August 2011, 11:19
Hi Sudsy,
No I haven't died I just don't get too much time - like you - to browse interesting sites these days, whilst refitting and completely redecorating a new house. Pity it was a different trip that we were on. Your life plying the roads of Europe sounds interesting, you certainly haven't lost your travel bug.
It was good to hear back from you,
All the best,
Brian

sudsy43
27th May 2013, 14:57
Hello again Brian
As you probably noticed i not been on this site much in the last year i seen to have less time on my hands now since i retired than before, Very few things have happened since we last spoke I have been retired for a year, but previous to that i was on sick for nearly a year, had a accident at work a forklift truck knocked me off a loading deck breaking my right arm badly, so i became a pensioner just before my 69 birthday i was going to stay at work till 70 but this brought it forward, I now do volunteering for a charity for a few days a week, but when i think back i have such fond memories of my year in the Helmwood memories that will never leave me, my total time at sea was only just short of six years but it amounted to a very big chunk of my life.
Hope to hear from you again Brian.

Take care mate John