Crews Of Convenience

Q29
5th May 2008, 21:45
'Saddled at Sea' a book by Josie Dew - A 15,000 mile journey to NZ by Russian freighter. Picked this up in a London bookshop, flicked through and can only conclude the author is making a strong point as the 'Russian freighter' was actually built in Finland, was British registered (Douglas IOM) and the ..MV Speybank. Sign of the times everywhere! The OM is identified Chris Baines, with Bank Line from the early 70's. (This 'Speybank' has been refitted and renamed now, details are out there on SN.)

See http://www.josiedew.co.uk/book6.htm

K urgess
5th May 2008, 21:51
Fame at last.
I sailed with Chris Baines when he was a mere apprentice on the Sprucebank from October 1971 to June 1972.
In fact here (http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=73681) he is trying to look busy.
The other appies were Mike Rider, Steve Braund and Jimmy Murphy.
Cheers
Kris

The Captain
8th May 2008, 13:35
I had heard that B/L had gone to Russian crews, as you say a sign of the times. "BIG ANDY" must have been really turning in his grave when that happened.

John S

Orbitaman
8th May 2008, 14:27
Went over to Russian Junior Officers and crew when the four ex Russian ships were bought.

Russian crew have now been replaced by Filipinos. Not sure about Officers, but majority of top four are still British.

K urgess
8th May 2008, 14:45
In one of my previous jobs one of the directors' sons was an apprentice with Bankline on the Russian built ships. That was a while ago and I have no idea what is going on now.
Mustn't be forgetten that Bankline got rid of British crews sometime in the late 50s or early 60s. I only ever sailed with Indian or Pakistani crews and the officers, although mostly British, could be from anywhere. Usually Aussie or Kiwi but you could get Asians as well. The chippie was always Chinese.

Kris

Orbitaman
8th May 2008, 15:02
My last trip deep sea was on the Arunbank in 1998, one of the 'russian' ships, and we had three British Deck Cadets on board. The Captain, Chief Officer, Chief Engineer and Purser were the other 'Brits' on board. The remainder were Russians.

Jim Harris
13th May 2008, 10:13
The ex 'City of London' on charter to Bengal Tiger Line and
renamed 'Tiger Breeze'....

Doing a milk run from Singapore to Madras and back....

Anyone any idea as to what crew she carries?

Regards,

Jim.