S.S. Matina (1960--1962)

A.J.McMahon
6th May 2008, 15:30
I expect a few of you will remember this good old ship. whilst coming up the Mersey, near pier head we were in collision with a tanker. If my memory is correct that was Dec. '60. We proceeded to Garston to discharge our cargo of banana's after which we went down river to drydock,and repair.Whist in the drydock under repair,the N.U.S. became deadlocked with the shipowners and a strike ensued, the duration of which was quite prolonged, for us it lengthen our leave. Who said it never shines.

r m lawrie
7th May 2008, 09:17
I was on the "Matina" at the time,remember the Seamans strike but not
the Tanker collision,memory is a fine thing!Matina was a good happy
ship with excellent crew.Nice memories

A.J.McMahon
23rd June 2008, 12:33
Hi Robin! Were you there the trip that the Starbrd boiler had work on at sea, expanding tubes, washing though if I remember correctly we put into Dominican Republic to take on fresh water, we had contaminated feed water due to some electrical work done shore side,the Salinometer had been disconected, then reconected with the polarity reversed, some trip!! we were two eng'rs short,mind you by today's standard we would be 10 eng's over. Good but hot days..

r m lawrie
23rd June 2008, 16:50
I remember it very well,the heat inside the boiler was overpowering,especially as we used hacksaw blades to cut the old tubes!The 2nd engineer was a guy called Mollinson ex Union Castle,the C/Eng was Snekie.When we lit up after
replacing the Tubes,the front firewall collapsed,we then headed for Baltimore
as the furnace front had deformed due to the heat.We never got any thanks
from U,F.C AS I remember.Would this happen today?

A.J.McMahon
6th July 2008, 12:27
I have looked at my Dis book, I am still vague as to the chronology of the two years that I was there. I see that 2voyages were of longer duration than the norm. I assume that these voyages we were on charter to the United Fruit Company. It must have been one of those voyages that we had a few problems. If I had to guess, I would go for the trip that we left Liverpool, coming out of dry dock after repairs from the run in with the tanker, to compound the problem conscription had just finished, so we lost some of our best Scouse engineers and another Scot broke his arm just before we sailed,so we sailed two down.The other incidents that I recall were the lifeboat that hit the water at 17+ knots when the brake band fractured. Then there was the collapsing brickwork on the starbrd boiler. At sometime, down in Central America, the starbrd F.D. fan armature went up in smoke. I can still feel my eyes burning and taste the sweat from the soot and heat working up on the boiler tops,crossrigging the motor to get it out, then replacing the armature in the relative cool of the working alleyway, then getting it all back in situ. The Bass and ginger beer shandies would help the salt tablets go down! Good crowd all through, some of the names I recall are--- Cris O'Conner, Ron Manville, Tony Maddox, Bob Arlow, Ron Mollison, Harry Knapper, Les Richards, Layton Tucker, Jim Mathers, Graham Davidson, Brian Hodges, John Gay, Ted Pashley, Inveraity, Davy Jones, R.O. Humphries, Here are a few memories of Port Antonio

Basil
19th June 2011, 15:22
A.J.McMahon,
Is the first picture up at the (IIRC) Jamaica Reef Hotel?
Little outside bar and two swimming pools.

Doug H
24th June 2011, 00:12
The MATINA was my first ship (as a Trainee R/O)n in 1953. A great way to start my 5 or 6 years at sea!

A.J.McMahon
14th July 2011, 18:23
A.J.McMahon,
Is the first picture up at the (IIRC) Jamaica Reef Hotel?
Little outside bar and two swimming pools.

Basil, that bar/ hotel was opposite Errol Flyns island @ Port Antonio, was it called the Murtle Bank ? so many years ago not sure !!

John Rogers
14th July 2011, 19:32
Basil, that bar/ hotel was opposite Errol Flyns island @ Port Antonio, was it called the Murtle Bank ? so many years ago not sure !!

That hotel sold more than rum and coke,much to my delight.[=P]

Ron Stringer
14th July 2011, 22:58

Not sure what the place in Port Antonio was called but there was a very nice hotel near the docks in Kingston called the Myrtle Bank Hotel. Always the first point of call before heading up town to lesser (but more exciting) places. I read some years ago that it caught fire and burned down.

Splinter
14th July 2011, 23:45
When I was there in 61, on the port side as you entered, was a very large abode, below which was a landing stage with a large sign and written in old English was, Flyn's Inn.

Splinter.

john richards
20th July 2011, 09:57
I joined the Matina 20 November 1963, first trip junior. Ted Pashley was C/E. Did 5 Voyages on her paid off 10 May 1964. Some memories The Myrtle Bank Hotel was in Kingston along with The First and Last Bar( by the dock gate ) I seem to remember the Fyffes Bar in Kingston was The Surrey, Navy Island was in Port Antonio also known as Dickey Flynn`s Bar. We went Blue Marlin Fishing in Port Antonio once Captain D G Morris in comand of our motorised Life Boat, testing Life boat engine I think it was called then Good day out though. Joined the Sinaloa after that when she was scrapped in Bruge, Belgium then on to the T boats. Best shipping co I sailed with Fyffes.

John Rogers
20th July 2011, 14:18
Another very good watering hole in Kiingston was the Bamboo Club (Up Town) I spent so much money there I think I was part owner.

John.

Splinter
20th July 2011, 21:03
Another very good watering hole in Kiingston was the Bamboo Club (Up Town) I spent so much money there I think I was part owner.

John.

That's a place I remember, spent a few bob in there.

Splinter.

Ron Stringer
20th July 2011, 22:26
That's a place I remember, spent a few bob in there.

Splinter.

Didn't we all? At times it seemed as if it was the E&F social club.

John Rogers
20th July 2011, 23:04
Didn't we all? At times it seemed as if it was the E&F social club.

I can tell you for certain the sheets on the beds did come from E&F.

My lips are sealed.:sweat:

athinai
21st September 2011, 19:00
I still have a Towel with Elders and Fyffes emblazoned on it. A momentum of a very happy time in the early 60s on a very happy ship. Only heard recently that my two best friends of that period died soon afterwards when swept overboard from another Fyffes vessel. RIP.

Alan Johnston
24th March 2014, 16:27
She was my first ship after catering college, I was the galley boy.
What a great ship she was my introduction to the sea and APPLETONS rum. Happy days.

Do you have any other photographs!