BP Playing Cards

Graham Wallace
7th May 2008, 01:11
Re the British Sovereign thread
I thought I had an old pack of playing cards with the Sovereign on the reverse. Keith put up a thumbnail of a pack with 'Flags' on.
I can do better than that I thought and dug out my pack......ooops not the Sovereign!!

So which one is it?

Graham

paul0510
7th May 2008, 07:02
Nice to see you back Graham. Looks like a 42, which narrows the choice somewhat.

offcumdum sanddancer
7th May 2008, 13:02
Was this not the Queen? She was flagship at about this time. Nice to see that they both feature the 'starving cat' house flag! And a well used pack.

Keith

john elcid
7th May 2008, 14:09
That's the same pack as I've still got.
I always thought it was British Queen which was 'flagship' at that time.

Graham Wallace
7th May 2008, 18:07
I sailed on the Sovereign in 1960 and did have a pack of cards with her on the reverse.They have since disappeared into the blue yonder.At the time it never occurred to me that maybe there were packs with many different ships ( not just the Flagship?), or possibly each ship had its own pack. Sure as heck never came across one with the Empress in full colour.

Sooo digging around I came up with a few photos. Have an old June 1960 Fleet News with port stern quarter shot of the Queen on trials. Its not her, no 'goalposts' on the aft accomodation.
Maybe its an artists interpretation but what the heck is that gantry 'thing' ontop of the Monkey island (it does lookas if the Queen had something similar tho). Also the jack mast on the bow looks huge.

But I have an idea

Graham

John_F
7th May 2008, 19:00
Definitely not the Queen but could be an artist's interpretation of the Duchess, which became the flagship on her completion in 1958.
Kind regards,
John. PS As Paul says, nice to see you back Graham - hope everything is OK with you.

paul0510
8th May 2008, 10:31
My view of a 42.
http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=73717

Graham Wallace
9th May 2008, 17:33
Paul, Thanks for yor remarks. The Destiny looks close but the number of streamlined cutouts on the aft accomodation are too few?
I wondered whether she was the Light or at least on of the 3 Ansaldo Italian jobs.
I guess I got the pack when I was on her in 1961 and still wondered whether the pack photos were only of the Flagship at the time or a variety of ships.

John, Thanks to you also, slowly falling apart but keeping my head above water.

Graham

Peter4447
9th May 2008, 18:49
Have only ever come across 2 different ships during my years of collecting - the one shown in the thread and the other an earlier type of tanker.
Peter

Graham Wallace
14th December 2010, 20:02
Re the British Sovereign thread
I thought I had an old pack of playing cards with the Sovereign on the reverse. Keith put up a thumbnail of a pack with 'Flags' on.
I can do better than that I thought and dug out my pack......ooops not the Sovereign!!

So which one is it?

Graham

I was digging around looking for some old papers when I came across the packet of playing cards I mentioned at the start of this thread.................The Sovereign !

Here she is.

Graham

david freeman
16th December 2010, 11:16
The Duchess see was the 42. The queen was 50

Forbes1922
21st February 2012, 13:46
I am pretty sure the playing cards were of the "British Queen,"
nb Revell brought a plastic kit of the British Sovereign in 1967
I just missed buying it on Ebay a few months ago.
Forbes 1922

george jackson
23rd February 2012, 10:06
Definitely one of the 42s, I was on the Statesman and Power.I have an old black and white photo in front of me of the Statesman on trials and it is identical apart from the "gantry" on the monkey island. I can't recall the Power having anything unusual up top either. Regards, George Jackson

Forbes1922
23rd February 2012, 11:08
Hi George
It is the British Queen I found one if the cards in my "BP box "in the loft along with my old Pint Mug with the old Flag emblem on it,
I sailed on the Queen as Catering Officer in 1973 I think the Captain was K.J.Mackay also sailed on the Statesman in 962/63 Captain was Comdr Cole.
N.R.T was Queen 18,661(classed as a 50,000) and Statesman 14,686
one of the 42.s Great ships in there day.
Regards Mike

Forbes1922
23rd February 2012, 11:15
nb I am sure their were 3 sets of playing cards issued in the 60's with 3 different ships on them anyone got any left ,the ones I have has the Queen facing left
The Sovereign facing left and the one above which George says is one of the 42's Facing right.
Mike

barnsey
22nd March 2012, 21:47
... and there is a forth pack ...I'll have a dig around and see if I can find it. Predominantly Yellow in colour.

Forbes1922
23rd March 2012, 09:51
Yes I had a couple of packs with what was then the new BP New Funnel Badge /Motif (c1978) on the top half and on the bottom,the background being yellow or green depending on which pack you had,long gone the kids had them.

Jaydee
1st April 2012, 14:46
Sorry about the reproduction quality but my pack of playing cards have been used quite a lot! I was with BTC/BP Tankers between 1950 and 1959. I can't quite read the name after 'British' it has 4 or 5 letters which are unreadable.

Graham Wallace
1st April 2012, 20:01
Sorry about the reproduction quality but my pack of playing cards have been used quite a lot! I was with BTC/BP Tankers between 1950 and 1959. I can't quite read the name after 'British' it has 4 or 5 letters which are unreadable.

John,
That is an old one, had to have been 1950/55. My apprenticeship papers signed Sept 1955 with with The British Tanker Company, then changed next year or so to BP Tanker Co.

Graham

barnsey
1st April 2012, 22:06
Wow ...the reproduction is excellent ....no doubt the name will be forthcoming as we all get to 'Remember' ...am trying to find my ones at present but they are not ones with any ship on sad to say. :@

Forbes1922
1st April 2012, 22:58
Looks like the British Flag
Forbes

barnsey
1st April 2012, 23:16
Looks like the British Flag
Forbes

There was only one British Flag she was a 16 this one is either an 8 or a 12.

If its an 8 could be British Lady?

Jaydee
2nd April 2012, 19:12
Re my recent Post regarding another pack of Playing Cards, from the British Tanker Co. era. I have just recalled that I was an Apprentice on British Fame from 15.8.52 to 28.5.53 she was launched in 1949, 16, 849 dwt, I recall that I won the ship's Cribbage championship by beating one of the firemen in the final. He however was given the first prize, a bottle of whisky donated by the Captain and as I was 'under age' I got a can of lager. British Fame could therefore be a contender for the picture on my pack of cards! I notice that the picture shows the vessels flying international code flag 'A' meaning I am undergoing speed trials, nowadays it means I have a diver down. The vessel also has yards on both masts, these could be the booms to hold the wind shute wires when we used to gass free the tanks. Doubt if they would be rigged on speed trials! Artistic licence perhaps.

Old Janner
3rd April 2012, 12:05
Graham, could the ship on your cards, not the "Soverign" be the British Ambassador ?

I remember the cards well, played many nights of Crib using theose cards.

Spence.

ericfisher
14th April 2012, 19:38
Hi, This is a card from the deck I saved from the Br. Might in 1952.

Dog-eared but still usable , like me . Was R/O then. Now 87

but still love the old days seafaring. Hope I've done the pic OK.

Regards Eric

barnsey
14th April 2012, 21:12
Well done Eric ...the photo is fine .... can't see that either of you are 'dogeared' at all.

barnsey
17th April 2012, 06:12
Have just bought a complete pack of the BP cards with British Sovereign on them on E-bay ... 7 quid with postage ... (==D)

The thought comes to me if BP Clyde had a set of cards made??? I have one of their ties.....(Hippy)

Forbes1922
17th April 2012, 08:38
I HAve checked my lot I have 3 different BP Tankers on the back of cards. Looks like the Fame (BTCFulll pack),Ambassador and Sovereign Can't find the Queen

barnsey
17th April 2012, 09:08
Just to sort things out as to the names of the ships on the playing cards....
British Fame, British Sovereign and British Duchess I am still looking for my 'Yellow pack with the funnel on them' ...Thanks for the confirmation regarding the 'tandom Green pack' ... the memory is not fading yet then.(Thumb)

john-elcid
26th April 2012, 20:18
Hi Graham. Thanks for the welcome back after a long absence. Looking at your playing card picture which I always thought was the Queen, it was a 42 (see British Judge on p12 of the tanker gallery). So, the 42s were Ambassador, Destiny, Duchess, Judge, Power, Prestige and Statesman. Can't think of any more, it was a while back. I think the Destiny was the last of the class, built in 1962. The Queen was built in 1959 but is completely different aft according to the building photos in the gallery.

Graham Wallace
1st May 2012, 16:22
Hi Graham. Thanks for the welcome back after a long absence. Looking at your playing card picture which I always thought was the Queen, it was a 42 (see British Judge on p12 of the tanker gallery). So, the 42s were Ambassador, Destiny, Duchess, Judge, Power, Prestige and Statesman. Can't think of any more, it was a while back. I think the Destiny was the last of the class, built in 1962. The Queen was built in 1959 but is completely different aft according to the building photos in the gallery.

Where have you been john, it is indeed a long time , I'll drop you a line
Graham