Steam ships in danger

SAS Amatola
7th May 2008, 21:06
Can we please draw up a list of all steam ships in danger of scrapping / disposal?

Name.
Type.
Year built.
Location.
Condition.
Owner.

Cheers

vchiu
8th May 2008, 11:13
mmm, do you mean in SA or in the rest of the world ?

If in RoW
In France, this is pretty easy. they all disappeared already, so no steamer is in danger anymore.

I think the most prominent steamer in immediate threat of being scrapped in UK is the Manxman. Following would be the HMS Rame head. in fact the number of endangered steamers in UK seems to be pretty high, and I don't count in the steamers which fate is unknown to me(SS explorer and SS Freshspring)

But the biggest bulk of endangered steamers must be in the US reserve fleet. I believe there are still some victory ships and some T2 tankers among many others interesting ones.

I think that in NL, Germany, and in Nordic countries, Steamers are pretty well preserved and disgraceful occurences -like I saw in UK despite invaluable efforts from fellow ship enthusiasts- seem to be much less frequent.

SAS Amatola
8th May 2008, 12:32
RoW - thanks

vchiu
8th May 2008, 15:43
A lad told me as a joke that a good way to list endangered historic ships was to simply download the national historic ship register, save for a few.

This is a joke of course and I am happy UK is not facing the void of France
http://www.nhsc.org.uk/

vchiu
11th May 2008, 13:15
There is an interesting list of the National Reserve fleet, a lot of which are steam ships and more than 10 dating from WWII. Some are slated to be preserved, but there are quite a few victory ships and one T2 tanker which are drifting towards the scrapyard.

http://www.marad.dot.gov/Offices/Ship/Current_Inventory.pdf

I hope at least one T2 will be saved.

SAS Amatola
11th May 2008, 22:47
Yes, what condition would they be in? Machinery intact?

vchiu
12th May 2008, 02:10
If they are in the reserve fleet, it means many of them haven't been used for as long as many decades.
Generally, They are equipped with bilge pumps and de-humidifiers which keep their internals dry. Key outside components were thourougly greased or protected before mothballing. The hull is kept in good order thanks to Electrolysis and all are moored far from seawater in sheltered areas.
I think we should ask the volunteers who saved the Jeremiah O'Brian in which state was the ship. according to an article I read, they found her in good internal order after 30 years of lay-up (back in 1989...)

Despite their outside ghastly appearance, Those ships were kept in order to be "quickly" put back in commission in case of need.

vchiu
12th May 2008, 06:54
I was mistaken about Steam ships in France. It looks like at least one is remaining afloat. Naturally, it is in danger of sinking/scrapping.

It is a Naval water carrier and is looking for a sponsor. based in Brest, 300 miles from Southampton.
http://www.netmarine.net/bat/remorque/ondee/mecene.htm

If this nice piece of machinery could find a caring owner , I would be very glad.

bashfordg
12th May 2008, 13:32
Interesting... I may take a look at her, if they would not mind a relocation.

Cheers

Gordon

SAS Amatola
12th May 2008, 16:02
Nice little vessel and quite a classic.

vchiu
12th May 2008, 16:16
I think she is no larger than a loyal classFleet Tender. She has a sister-ship in much more precarious state.

She is still owned by the F. Navy which would lease it for free if a preservation plan is presented I think. Otherwise they might sell it for the price of scrap

I would be more than happy to see her in the caring hands of Australian enthusiasts. I see how well other ships are preserved down under. A treat to the eyes.

SAS Amatola
12th May 2008, 19:21
Agreed, a very dedicated group of enthusiasts are situated there!

SeamusMartin
30th May 2008, 13:58
What about SS United States, I didn't even know she still existed! I saw a picture in the tug gallery (not sure why?) so I googled her, what an amaising ship. Here are some good sites: http://www.ssunitedstates.org/theship.htm , http://www.ss-united-states.com/ the latter with South African steam tug assisting, probably the Dannie Hugo.

Cheers,
Seamus.

Jeff Taylor
30th May 2008, 14:09
With the end of her "Peace Boat" charter, the Topaz (ex Empress of Britain, ex Queen Annna Maria, etc) is in major jeopardy. Her owners have her laid up in Singapore attempting to find another charter.

robertblack36
30th May 2008, 15:40
I was mistaken about Steam ships in France. It looks like at least one is remaining afloat. Naturally, it is in danger of sinking/scrapping.

It is a Naval water carrier and is looking for a sponsor. based in Brest, 300 miles from Southampton.
http://www.netmarine.net/bat/remorque/ondee/mecene.htm

If this nice piece of machinery could find a caring owner , I would be very glad.

I would really appreciate some info on this engine. Never came across this type of steam 'up and down' power. A very interesting piece of machinery.
Many thanks.
RB

bashfordg
28th June 2008, 11:10
I would really appreciate some info on this engine. Never came across this type of steam 'up and down' power. A very interesting piece of machinery.
Many thanks.
RB

Hi RB.

Reciprocating engines ("Up and Downers") were very common. The most famous of course is the "Triple Expansion" where steam is actually used three times.... plenty on the web to decscribe how these work.

I own one such ship the "Alwyn Vintcent" and there is a little on these engines on its website. www.alwynvincent.wetpaint.com Look under "Triple Expansion Engines within the pages as well as the pics.

Cheers

Gordon.

chadburn
28th June 2008, 12:17
Nice job Gordon, and good luck to you, as an old steam man can you tell me what do you do in todays legislative world about replacing things like "Serpant A" and "Walkers Golden Walkerite" which were Asbestos based, are you still allowed to use them or are the alternatives just as good?, I use to hate doing the Condensor,trying to get the rotten ferrules out when the slot broke away, much preferred doing the setting up of the Tumbler Block on the Stephenson Reversing links, I still have my Hockey stick bearing scraper as well as the pigstail packing pullers. As a long shot are you related to a Gerry Bashford by any slim chance he was a 2nd of mine at one time. Regards.