Hello from Ireland

tmull
8th May 2008, 16:14
Delighted to be accepted as a member of this forum. I am a 68 year old retired seaman. I have been looking for information on some of the ships I served on from 1956 to 1964. I started on the Pass of Balmaha in Sept 1956 and spent three years on her. I transferred to the Pass of Drumoctor but only stayed a few months. I sailed around the world in the Scottish tanker Clyde Envoy for the whole of 1959. After that I sailed as bosun on the Coast Lines ship Dorset Coast. I did my mates ticket in 1961 and sailed out of Liverpool on the Colebrook as 2nd mate.I joined Fishers of Barrow in Furness in early 1962 on their new ship Lune Fisher and sailed as 2nd mate and then mate on her until May 1964 when I became a tugmaster in Cork Harbour for the next 33 years. I have recently started looking for photos of the aforementioned ships and was lucky to obtain a photo of the Clyde Envoy from a retired seafarer now living in Australia. If anyone has any memories or photos or have sailed on any of these ships I would love to hear from them. TMULL

non descript
8th May 2008, 16:17
Tmull, a warm welcome to you. that's a nice intro piece. (Applause) Thank you for joining the community; enjoy the site and all it has to offer, and we very much look forward to your postings in due course. Bon Voyage

kottemann
8th May 2008, 16:54
Hello Tmull a warm welcome from Dublin enjoy the trip

K urgess
8th May 2008, 17:11
Welcome to the crew, tmull.
Nice introduction which will certainly help anyone aboard who sailed on the same vessels.
Find your way around the ship and enjoy the trip.

Derek Roger
8th May 2008, 17:11
A Warn Welcome from Canada . Enjoy the trip and I look forward to some of your pictures and stories .
Kind Regards Derek

Bruce Carson
8th May 2008, 17:18
From Michigan, a warm welcome to Ships Nostalgia, Tmull.
Good to have you onboard.
To start the ball rolling, here are pictures of the 'Lune Fisher', the'Dorset Coast' and the two "Passes"..

http://www.photoship.co.uk/JAlbum%20Ships/Old%20Ships%20D/slides/Dorset%20Coast-01.html
http://www.photoship.co.uk/JAlbum%20Ships/Old%20Ships%20L/slides/Lune%20Fisher-01.html
http://www.photoship.co.uk/JAlbum%20Ships/Old%20Ships%20P/slides/Pass%20of%20Drumochter-01.html
http://www.photoship.co.uk/JAlbum%20Ships/Old%20Ships%20P/slides/Pass%20of%20Balhama-01.html
Bruce

ian d.cameron
8th May 2008, 18:48
A couple on Colebrook(e)
http://www.clydesite.co.uk/clydebuilt/viewship.asp?id=11710
http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/search.php?searchid=118959
Enjoy the trip

tmull
8th May 2008, 18:55
Bruce ,I do not Know how to thank you enough. I have been enquiring for years about these ships and in one afternoon I get four together. The Dorset Coast is in a modified state as to when I was her bosun. She had a mast and mast housebetween hatch No2 and Hatch No 3. We used all derricks unloading for Fords on the Daganham-Cork run. She was a very ;Stiff; ship and she rolled something terrible. The photo of the Lune Fisher appeares to have been taken in Dublin. The container on the crane is a British Rail container caller AB. An AB was half the size of a BD and we were on the Dublin -Holyhead run for six months of the year and on the Channel Islands-Weymouth run for the other six months. We were acctually one of the first ships to run containers into Dublin.I really did not think I would ever find pictures of the Pass boats. I spent three very happy years on the Balmaha with Capt Duncan Mc Kinnon and the mate from Barra named Angus Stewart. I joined the Drumoctor just after she was involved in the Princess Victoria disaster in the Irish sea about 1959. She sheltered the only surviving lifeboat all night in hurricane force winds and saved 40 men. No women or child survived. Capt Kelly was still her master when I joined and he was decorated for his good work that night. Once again thank you as these photos bring back wonderful memories. Yours gratefully TMULL

R58484956
8th May 2008, 19:01
Greetings TMULL and a warm welcome to SN from a member in the south of England. Enjoy the site and bon voyage.

tmull
8th May 2008, 19:18
Ian,It really has been an admazing day. Please bear with me and I shall try and explain. At 21 I did my mates ticket in Dublin.That was 1961. As I was working as bosun in Coast lines,on the Dorset Coast they offered me employment as an officer if I passed my ticket, Once I did I informed them and I was sent to Daganham to relieve the second mate of the ship I had come off of, the said Dorset Coast, The second mate and myself were good friends at this time as we had sailed so long together.Unfortunatly Coast Lines never informed him he was to be relieved and when I turned up he refused to budge. In truth he was waiting for a Cork Harbour pilots job and he wanted to stay on the Daganham-Cork run to keep his finger on the pulse.So I was on my way back to Liverpool where I joined the Colebrookas my first 2nd mates job under a wonderful skipper named W.W. Lucas. My friend became a Cork Harbour pilot shortly after that and I became a tugmaster in Cork in 1964. We berthed hundreds of ships together and remained friends. The ironic bit is he died last Monday and I am not long home from his funeral. To see the Colebrook again brings back long ago memories. In one afternoon I have photos of most of the ships I sailed on as a youth. A big thank you to you all for your help. I only wish I had found this forum sooner.TMULL

shippix
8th May 2008, 20:31
RMull, Good evening and welcome.
I remember the Pass of Drumochter coming up to a small oil terminal at Malpas near Truro in conrwall. I also remember Coast lines having an office
in Truro, this was back in the late fifties, early sixties
Peter

ian d.cameron
8th May 2008, 21:45
You’re welcome TMULL. Looking forward to your posts, hope there's a few stories to be told.
I don't know what photo you have of the Clyde Envoy, but the more the merrier.
http://www.photoship.co.uk/JAlbum%20Ships/Old%20Ships%20C/slides/Clyde%20Envoy-01.html

benjidog
8th May 2008, 23:37
Welcome from Lancashire.

I hope you will enjoy the site.

Regards,

Brian

gdynia
9th May 2008, 08:14
Welcome onboard to SN and enjoy the voyage

tmull
9th May 2008, 11:09
Hi Shippix, I did that truro trip on one of the Pass boats in the late fiftys. I was amazed at the beautiful wooded scenery on both sides of the river that about 40 years later I revisited the area on my holidays. What a beautiful part of old England. Thanks for the memories.TMULL

backsplice
10th May 2008, 00:40
I have a photo of the "Pass Of Balhama " PM me with your email and I,ll send it over ......... welcome to the site

tmull
11th May 2008, 13:24
I have received a very good photo of the Pass of Balmaha from forum member Backsplice. Thanks to all who helped me.TMULL

GALTRA
11th May 2008, 14:21
Greetings tmull this is a photo I posted in the gallery two years ago. Hope it is of interest to you, Charley >>> http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=26802

tmull
12th May 2008, 10:11
Thank you Galtra. I did not know what became of her and i appreciate the photo.Thank Yoy. TMULL

Anderskane
12th May 2008, 22:50
Hello TMULL, and welcome, I've just clicked onto this thread, and pleased to see those postings , brings back memories of seeing the "Pass" boats bringing petrol into Larne for Lobitus for Holmes McMullen and Dunn.

Theres more photos of your ships in the Coaster gallery on SN, i think theres one of the Drumochter in my own.

Go to the gallery and click "search", enter the ships name, and you,ll see wahat there.
That on of the Drumochter that Bruce directed us to shows her leaving Larne Lough, with the conveyor belt at Ballylumforf ps jetty on the lhs.

Sorry to hear you've lost a good friend, you'll find many more here.

regards Kenny.

tmull
13th May 2008, 10:26
Hi Anderskane,Thank you for your help. I shall starting looking up the photos as you suggest. I was on that run on the Drumoctor and as far as I know ,her master Capt Kelly was living in Larne at that time,late 1958. TMULL

Rory
6th December 2008, 08:29
Hello tmull;
Quite a bit late, but just saw this post. I too am from Cork. If you haven't figured it out by now, The Pix of Dorset Coast Bruce directed you to has more than you seem to have seen there. The vessel when geared, and ran from Dagenham to Ford Motor in Cork is there too. When you go there use your mouse, and click on the right hand side of the pix you are looking at, and you will see another. Do the same until you run out of Dorset Coast material. Cheers, Rory

billyboy
6th December 2008, 08:42
Welcome aboard from the Philippines. Enjoy all this great site has to offer