Hamburg

stan mayes
10th May 2008, 18:48
A very happy 819th birthday in Hamburg Hafen is being celebrated today and tomorrow by the visit of many ships from maritime nations.
Stan

JimC
10th May 2008, 19:10
Happy birthday - hope they don't ban the Reiper

Jim C,

stan mayes
10th May 2008, 20:04
Reeperbahn and Grosse Freiheit still in business Jim,but sadly the Zillertal closed some years ago.
Stan

notnila
10th May 2008, 22:29
Reeperbahn and Grosse Freiheit still in business Jim,but sadly the Zillertal closed some years ago.
Stan

It seems there are spoilsports everywhere these days!(Jester)

Derek Roger
10th May 2008, 23:34
Stan

What !! No Zillertal ?? It was the only place one could have fun without getting into " Trouble "

Oh Happy days
PS
Remember the rifle range at the back close to the ' Bogs " where one could try and win a stuffed toy or whatever ? I was a Marksman in earlier life with the Army Cadets ; but I could not hit a bloody thing there ! The sights were so far off it took two or 3 attempts before one could hit the bull ( By that time you had already " Bought " the Teddy or whatever . Plus the fact one was not fully in command of ones senses after and hour or two of Quaffing Ale and listening to the band ; jumping up and down on the tables etc .

Oh Happy Days Indeed

K urgess
10th May 2008, 23:43
I remember the barmaid's hands.
Capable of carrying ten steins at once. [=P]
The Oompah Band!
And don't dance on the tables unless you want a quick exit.
Definitely happy nights.

Derek Roger
11th May 2008, 00:55
I remember the barmaid's hands.
Capable of carrying ten steins at once. [=P]
The Oompah Band!
And don't dance on the tables unless you want a quick exit.
Definitely happy nights.

The barmaids were buxom and could hold their beer . Every round we had "she " also had a Stein ( on our bill ) . So by the time we were pissed she had consumed as much as we had !
Trouble was she was serving about 6 tables with the same performance ??? How Does that work ????

Could never keep up with those Ladies .

Oh Very Happy Days Derek

Tom Haywood
11th May 2008, 07:43
My first foreign port ashore on the "Northumberland" after Fremantle in 1965.
We berthed at "Amerikof" and took a ferry across the river to the city proper.

K urgess
11th May 2008, 14:54
I remember on my first visit to Hamburg in December 1967 loading German cars (the usual selection) at the opposite side of the river destined for Texas.
I crossed the river using a tunnel but I can't for the life of me remember where the tunnel entrance on the Hamburg side was and particularly the exit on the Blohm and Voss side. I think the entrance is the white domed building bottom centre left of the picture mentioned below but I can't spot the other end.
Can anyone spot the tunnel on this (http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/116555/ppuser/8196) aerial shot in my gallery?
I particularly remember the civilian gate guard's interest in my new copy of Playboy. [=P]
I should have swapped it for his wartime Kriegsmarine greatcoat. I know which would be the most valuable now.

Kris

Pat Kennedy
11th May 2008, 15:08
I seem to remember that tunnel had an elevator which could take one car at a time. The white domed building is the St Pauli exit, and just over the road is Der Hafenkrankenhause, where I spent an unhappy week with a damaged kidney after a fall on board the Agapenor.
Pat

trotterdotpom
11th May 2008, 15:52
The car lift sounds familiar, Pat. On my last visit, one of our ABs was mugged just after entering the tunnel - better in gentler times.

John T.

Pat Kennedy
11th May 2008, 16:25
It was a good place back in the old days, I always had a good time ashore, and much appreciated those vending machines where you could get sausages and bread with mustard for a few pfennigs on your way back to the ship.
Do you recall the big blonde woman who came aboard selling English newspapers and toothpaste etc. she was married to a Brit, an engineer in the Palm Line, and she spoke English with a pronounced scouse accent.
My favourite bar there was the Cabbage Patch, not in St Pauli, but off in the opposite direction, beyond Howaltdswerk shipyard, not as commercial as the Reeperbahn bars, more like a local pub.
Pat

stan mayes
11th May 2008, 22:23
The old tunnel is still in operation - by foot or car.
A new 8 lane tunnel has been built down river of it.
Hafenkrankenhaus was closed about 15 years ago under protest of every Hamburg citizen.
The Cabbage Patch near Rosshafen was owned by Paul Levermann and his father in law owned Little Cabbage Patch two miles from there.It was my local as I had my home there for four years with my German wife Elsa.
The bar owner called me King George.
Top left of picture is now reclaimed and newly developed and is Hafen City with a new cruise terminal.
Stan

Pat Kennedy
12th May 2008, 18:57
Stan,
So they closed the Hafenkrankenhause down? A shame, they were very kind to me in there, and it was there I was introduced to the culinary delights of German hospital food.I remember particularly a dish, piled high with mashed potato and covered in some reddish sauce, crowned with a fried egg. That was breakfast!
I also was involved with a German girl, she lived in Blankenese, and we got engaged, but the logistics proved too much for both of us, and sadly we called it off.
Regards,
Pat