Sporting Prowess

mcook
10th June 2005, 03:13
I joined the Makrana as a second trip sprog sparkie in Savannah, Georgia, in 1969 during the Longshoreman's strike. The Markhor was also incarcerated in that delightful city as well.

The day before I joined I was told about the Markhor's officers brief moment of stardom when the local TV news cameras recorded their visit to the blood clinic to each donate a pint of their finest X-type. What was omitted from that news item was the fact that each donor was paid $10 for their services. Also omited was the fact that they stumbled across the artificial insemination clinic in the same building and ended up with another $10 in their pockets!

Some time and many parties later, we were challenged to a soccer match by
some representatives from a Greek ship (can't remember the company, but there were three of them). They had a combined pool of something like 200 people to make up a team. We just scraped together the bare minimum.

The day of the big matched arrived, with the local Missions to Seaman padre officiating as referee. It was on a weekend, and quite a number of passers-by stopped to watch, including a photographer from the local press.

By the time the Brock's team collapsed at half time, we were feeling quite pleased with ourselves with the score at 0-0. Considering the hour the previous night's party had ended I think we were justified in feeling so!

The Greek coach gathered his team at the side of the pitch and handed out oranges and a pep-talk. We lay where we fell, and our coach (a PROPER coach, I might add) provided us with pre-lit ciggies and opened cans of beer!

Well, to cut a long story (second half?) short, I think we lost 3-0. But...
seeing as two of these three goals were own goals, we claimed at least a moral victory as winners by virtue of goal difference!

Doug Rogers
10th June 2005, 07:17
Obviously a self event!!, great story, look forward to the next!!.

john g
16th June 2005, 18:07
Sir , correct me if I am wrong but I was actually there and played in that soccer team. Your facts are pretty close and I won't change a good story but I think we were the "Mahout" alongside in Savannah. You may well remember the 2nd eng and his wife Ann......correct me if I am wrong...The name of the Greek ship escapes me...got it...."Hellenic Destiny"and the referee was a yank with a "Savannah Iron" T shirt , local soccer team....John g

R58484956
16th June 2005, 19:21
Small world

mcook
17th June 2005, 06:07
Sir , correct me if I am wrong but I was actually there and played in that soccer team. Your facts are pretty close and I won't change a good story but I think we were the "Mahout" alongside in Savannah. You may well remember the 2nd eng and his wife Ann......correct me if I am wrong...The name of the Greek ship escapes me...got it...."Hellenic Destiny"and the referee was a yank with a "Savannah Iron" T shirt , local soccer team....John g

Yes John, you are entirely correct, it was the good ship 'Mayhout' as the
yanks pronounced it. My bad! (K)