Righthip says hello and asks about Bob Heyman

righthip
12th May 2008, 23:07
My Great Uncle, Bob Heyman, was a hairdresser on board a number of Castle ships - Capetown, Dunnottar, Stirling, Llangibby, Carnarvon, Athlone. Not sure when he started out but I have service records for him from 1942-1957. Anyone have any re-collections of him? He also sailed on Tamaroa and Athenic.
There are stories that he got torpedoed three times. Would love to know if that may be true.
Here is a picure of him (on the left). Does anyone know the ship he's on? I can't make out the name on the lifeboat behind. ?? castle. And does anyone know the other two gentlemen?

benjidog
12th May 2008, 23:18
Hi,

As this your first post I am moving it to the Say Hello forum where it will get greater exposure.

Welcome to the site from Lancashire - I hope you will enjoy it.

Regards,

Brian

non descript
12th May 2008, 23:26
righthip, a warm welcome to you. Thank you for joining the community; enjoy the site and all it has to offer, and we very much look forward to your postings in due course. Bon Voyage

K urgess
13th May 2008, 01:15
Welcome aboard from East Yorkshire.
There are crew members who will be able to help, I'm sure.
Meanwhile find your way around the ship.
Enjoy the voyage.

gdynia
13th May 2008, 03:58
Welcome onboard to SN and enjoy the voyage

Bruce Carson
13th May 2008, 04:45
From Michigan, a warm welcome to Ships Nostalgia, Righthip.
I hope our members will provide some answers about your Great Uncle.
It's good to have you onboard.

Bruce

righthip
13th May 2008, 12:07
Thx to all for their welcomes.
From another source I've now discovered that the ship that the picture was taken on was Grantully Castle. So I think that must be pre 1939 because the Grantully was broken up in that year.

R58484956
13th May 2008, 13:01
Greetings Righthip and welcome to SN. Bonvoyage.