Jumbo Cargo

Rhiw.com
11th June 2005, 12:34
Captain Gwilym Owen, an ex Blue Funnel master, lent me these photographs yesterday, and the stories behind two of them are quite interesting, he sailed on the “Orestes” twice, in 1954 as Second Mate, and again in 1960 as Mate. On his second time on the vessel she carried two elephants from Malaysia to Sydney Australia, they were destined for Taronga Park Zoo, you should just about make them out in the scan, on her after well deck. The “Priam” photograph from his collection shows her flying down the Malaca Straits to her first Far Eastern port of call, Singapore. She could manage 23knots on a good day, that’s some speed for a cargo ship built in the mid sixties. I sailed with him on the Priam in 1970, we left Birkenhead on the 10th of November, and went non stop to Singapore, older Blue Funnel vessels had to stop for bunkers at either Cape Town or Durban, and we were still back in Liverpool within three months, on the 8th of February 1971, having visited nine ports including three in Japan, and that’s including a two weeks stint on a buoy in the middle of Hong Kong harbour awaiting cargo. She was a fine ship, and at the time the “Super P’s” were the pride of the fleet, and quite understandable as well when you look at Priam’s fine lines in this photograph. The Priam was the first cargo ship I was on that had a “proper” swimming pool, it was situated on her poop, and many an evening was spent around it drinking ice cold Tennents from the little Gold Cans!!! Capt Owen was the Mate on her at the time, but he commanded many “Blueys” after this, and was a gentleman, I might add as well. The Priam met a sad end though, when as the “Oriental Champion” she was hit by a missile in the Persian Gulf, on October 18th 1985, and was later towed to Kaohsiung for demolition. Capt Owen went away to sea as deck boy in 1946, but now lives in happy retirement in one of the villages of Llyn. Best regards Tony.

trotterdotpom
11th June 2005, 13:38
Had a memorable booze up on "Priam", probably in Japan? Recall a most handsome ship and an Engineer who I'd previously met at Anchor House, Hull, when we were both doing tickets. Met him again years later when he was Second and Chief Engineer in Australian National Line, especially my last ship "Australian Venture". I'm talking about Mr Bill English, son of Edinburgh and fine judge of Barenfang (Kraut booze).

I think the foregoing is true, but it was a memorable booze up!

John T.

EMMESSTEE
11th June 2005, 13:50
John T -

Bill English - a gentleman and a scholar, he was one of my C/E's on "Endeavour River" and was certainly there this time last year.

-----------------

Mike.

trotterdotpom
11th June 2005, 15:16
Thanks Mike. Good to know the Prince of Porto Bello is still around. Still living in Mount Eliza - don't mention the "F" Word - Frankston?

How about Captain Mike H from Brisbane? Lives round the corner but haven't seen him for a couple of years (or is it 8?).

John T.

EMMESSTEE
11th June 2005, 15:33
John T -

Yes, Captain Mike H is still in Brisbane. He was Master of "River Boyne" this time last year but was (then) looking to retire this year, whether he has or not, I'm afraid I can't tell you. Retirement cuts you off from all sorts of things I've found - we all spoke to one another on the VHF passing in the GBR, we all saw one another regularly on courses, etc. You don't realise until you've not got it, what great comradery there was between ourselves as seafarers.

Bill - still in Mt Eliza or thereabouts .... used to winge like hell that the company wouldn't give him a CabCharge docket to get him from Tullamarine to home. He had to pay cash, get a receipt and claim it back in expenses .... like the rest of us had to!!

Look up Mike H - did you get my last email incidentally?

Mike.

Capt.John Bax. Ret.
11th June 2005, 19:36
Captain Gwilym Owen, an ex Blue Funnel master, lent me these photographs yesterday, and the stories behind two of them are quite interesting, he sailed on the “Orestes” twice, in 1954 as Second Mate, and again in 1960 as Mate. On his second time on the vessel she carried two elephants from Malaysia to Sydney Australia, they were destined for Taronga Park Zoo, you should just about make them out in the scan, on her after well deck. The “Priam” photograph from his collection shows her flying down the Malaca Straits to her first Far Eastern port of call, Singapore. She could manage 23knots on a good day, that’s some speed for a cargo ship built in the mid sixties. I sailed with him on the Priam in 1970, we left Birkenhead on the 10th of November, and went non stop to Singapore, older Blue Funnel vessels had to stop for bunkers at either Cape Town or Durban, and we were still back in Liverpool within three months, on the 8th of February 1971, having visited nine ports including three in Japan, and that’s including a two weeks stint on a buoy in the middle of Hong Kong harbour awaiting cargo. She was a fine ship, and at the time the “Super P’s” were the pride of the fleet, and quite understandable as well when you look at Priam’s fine lines in this photograph. The Priam was the first cargo ship I was on that had a “proper” swimming pool, it was situated on her poop, and many an evening was spent around it drinking ice cold Tennents from the little Gold Cans!!! Capt Owen was the Mate on her at the time, but he commanded many “Blueys” after this, and was a gentleman, I might add as well. The Priam met a sad end though, when as the “Oriental Champion” she was hit by a missile in the Persian Gulf, on October 18th 1985, and was later towed to Kaohsiung for demolition. Capt Owen went away to sea as deck boy in 1946, but now lives in happy retirement in one of the villages of Llyn. Best regards Tony.

Say Hi to Capt Owen for me. I am one of the original crew who took ORESTES out from UK for the last time. I was JOS and SOS then but had started to study for my ticket.
I have his picture of ORESTES he sent me in special frame and position on the bridge of my home here in Canada.

Rgds.

Capt Bax.

Rhiw.com
11th June 2005, 20:06

Say Hi to Capt Owen for me. I am one of the original crew who took ORESTES out from UK for the last time. I was JOS and SOS then but had started to study for my ticket.
I have his picture of ORESTES he sent me in special frame and position on the bridge of my home here in Canada.

Rgds.

Capt Bax.

It's a small world Capt, I will be taking the albums back to him on Monday, and I'm sure he will be very pleased that you send your regards. If you would like to give him a message, please e-mail me and I can print it out for him. Hopefully it will encourage him to buy a computer!!!! Much regards to you Capt, Tony.

Capt.John Bax. Ret.
13th June 2005, 15:27
It's a small world Capt, I will be taking the albums back to him on Monday, and I'm sure he will be very pleased that you send your regards. If you would like to give him a message, please e-mail me and I can print it out for him. Hopefully it will encourage him to buy a computer!!!! Much regards to you Capt, Tony.

Somehow, I don't think a computer would work...unless it had a Welsh Keyboard.!!!!
John

Rhiw.com
22nd July 2005, 18:29
In January 1959 the Sarpedon loaded a full South American Circus at Hong Kong for Singapore, comprising of animals, eight attendants and 550 tons of equipment. The circus had been featured in two films, “The Big Circus” and “Night Life in Europe”. It consisted of six elephants, three camels, two zebras, two lions, two tigers, six chimpanzees, three bears, two monkeys, one baboon, one eagle and six dogs. In addition, there were nine caravans, seven motor vehicles, three motorcycles and various trailers, tents, etc. the freight charged was £1,000. Regards Tony. (Thumb)

kradford
23rd August 2005, 00:22
The Last picture of Captain Owen was on the Autolycus...I was the peggy that trip

Hague
4th March 2007, 19:09

The photograph of the 'Priam' brought back a few memories. I recall on her second voyage being fitted with Container Bearers across No.2 hatch to research these new things called TEUs. We carried an additional Second Officer for temperature monitoring etc. Also, remember that a new rank of Senior Second Mate had been devised (two and a half rings no less ) to stem the unrest with seniority of ED men recently integrated.
Webb was Mate and went ballistic when we passed the Rhexenor with an ED Master who passed his Masters approx five or more years after Webb.
Brgds
Hague

Hague
8th March 2007, 07:34
The Last picture of Captain Owen was on the Autolycus...I was the peggy that trip

Good morning Kradford,
What year would that have been? and, where may I ask are you Piloting.
Brgds
Hague