illyric

popeyed
14th May 2008, 21:24
just to mention did voyage one the illyric 73.was one of the best trips i did great crowd good mate good bar good trip.she was a real ship.ho good run to.

John.H.Clark
14th May 2008, 22:11
Hi
I did voyages 1 and 2 as a deck apprentice. We averaged over 17 knots London to Melbourne with a stop in Aden. As you say a lovely ship, with some tension maiden voyage as some of the Dublin deck crew did not care for the Belfast Chief Officer! Visited her in Avonmouth about 75/76 and the formica panels had weathered very well, my old cabin still looked smart
John

DURANGO
13th June 2008, 13:45
Hi
I did voyages 1 and 2 as a deck apprentice. We averaged over 17 knots London to Melbourne with a stop in Aden. As you say a lovely ship, with some tension maiden voyage as some of the Dublin deck crew did not care for the Belfast Chief Officer! Visited her in Avonmouth about 75/76 and the formica panels had weathered very well, my old cabin still looked smart
John Hello John i was in her on her 2nd voyage again to Aussie i have the dates somewhere , so i reckon we must have sailed together i was an a.b. at the time , i have a few photos , the bosun was irish he lived in east ham , one thing i thought though was that for only her 2nd trip we used to comment on the rust over the side , i remember we carried a few dogs out to Aussie i have a photo with a poodle in my arms somewhere one port we went to the dockers stopped work because of the fact that there was some wire seizing,s missing from the shackles so rather than lower all the derricks we went aloft in a bosun chair shackled to the cargo runner to check them all out all the best .

DURANGO
20th June 2008, 14:02
Hello John i was in her on her 2nd voyage again to Aussie i have the dates somewhere , so i reckon we must have sailed together i was an a.b. at the time , i have a few photos , the bosun was irish he lived in east ham , one thing i thought though was that for only her 2nd trip we used to comment on the rust over the side , i remember we carried a few dogs out to Aussie i have a photo with a poodle in my arms somewhere one port we went to the dockers stopped work because of the fact that there was some wire seizing,s missing from the shackles so rather than lower all the derricks we went aloft in a bosun chair shackled to the cargo runner to check them all out all the best .
i made a mistake the bosun was not irish he was from up north i,m getting mixed up with the bosun in the suevic

johnny2dogs
22nd June 2008, 22:44
i sailed on the illyric from 66-67, and she was a fine vessal, we sailed on the 23 dec 1966 from royal docks london, part of the cargo were animals for perth zoo, we had a supernumary who travelled with the animals, and 2 of the animals were his own private pets, 2 cheetahs, and every day he would walk them on the after deck, so iff you were chipping, it was one eye on the hammer and one ey on the cats, then one day he asked us iff we wanted to stroke them, being brave sailors, we sent the deck boy first, after he survived, we all went, alsao on this trip, two abs and a steward had formed a pop group, they had all the gear, speakers amps etc, so on new years day, going doen the red sea we had one hell of a party, then out walked the electrcian playing bagpipes, and all this before we got to aussie, so you can guess that the full voyage was one to remember, happy happy days. johnny2dogs

gbig1
8th August 2008, 13:47
i was on her april 1975 to october 1975 joined in liverpool went on to falmouth, capetown for bunkers aussie and kiwi coast then homeward bound capetown, durban,lagos and tema paid off in sheerness an olda:::d deckboy

Four Bells
9th August 2008, 05:33
I was on her 73--74 edh(Thumb)

Four Bells
9th August 2008, 10:52
How do I post????,

monty53
5th September 2008, 11:47
Attended Poplar Tech during summer of 73 and was taken on board this lovely old ship for a look around when she was berthed in Royal docks.* Never forgot the new deep carpets being fitted and the traditional surroundings.* We had a beer on board and very memorable introduction to life on proper ships?* Where have those days gone? Great to see a picture of such a fine old lady of yesteryear. The memory lives on.

John.H.Clark
8th September 2008, 16:47
Monty
are you trying to make me feel old? On her maiden voyage we marveled at her modern side, AC rather then DC, remote thermometers, a loading aid, roller hatches , true motion radar , formica everywhere and other wonders
John

DURANGO
8th September 2008, 17:47
Monty
are you trying to make me feel old? On her maiden voyage we marveled at her modern side, AC rather then DC, remote thermometers, a loading aid, roller hatches , true motion radar , formica everywhere and other wonders
John As i remember when i was in her on her 2nd voyage she was double berth cabins for the deck crowd but she never carried a full compliment on deck so 4 of us had single berth cabins

John.H.Clark
18th September 2008, 23:01
On voyage one there was some ill will towards the Chief Officer, a Belfast man , as we had a Dublin deck crew . I think voyage two was when we took a giraffe to Auckland. A lot of the deck crew jumped ship, if I remember correctly

John

denverbrit
18th February 2009, 21:43
I spent 8 months on the Illyric, a double header....NZ, USA, OZ. 67/68. Great crew and we spent the outward bound leg building a bar in the crew room. Built to last and very popular with the ladies....especially in NZ. Missed the ship twice....and worth every penny.(Thumb) It was my last trip to sea and some of the happiest times of my life.