The Mystery Writer by Jessica Mann (City of Benares)

Chouan
15th May 2008, 10:11
The Mystery Writer by Jessica Mann
Synopsis: It is 1940. The world is at war and the lives of two English boys are about to be changed forever. Jonathan Hicks, heir to the Cornish estate of Goonzoyle, and Ted Johns, son of the estate's groundskeeper, find themselves floating in an icy Atlantic Ocean, clinging to the wreckage of the doomed SS City of Benares. The ship was carrying British evacuee children to a new home, but as it made its perilous way to the USA it was torpedoed by a German U-boat. Jonathan and Ted have been thrown together in spite of their different backgrounds, but as the chance of rescue ebbs further away, it becomes clear only one can survive. It is 2001. At her home in Cornwall, bestselling writer Jessica Mann is busy researching her book about the wartime evacuation of children, Out of Harm's Way, when she is contacted by Connie, Ted Johns' sister, who has recently bought the derelict manor house at Goonzoyle. Jessica is drawn into playing detective to discover what really happened aboard the SS City of Benares, and why that brief moment in history is the key to present events. Matters take a decidedly sinister turn when human bones are discovered at Goonzoyle, and Jessica is hurled into a race to uncover the secrets that bind the Hicks and Johns families together

Has anybody read this? Is it any good? It looks curious and I'm interested, but given how poor most novels concerning Merchant Ships are, I'd like an opinion before I buy.

Hugh Ferguson
22nd May 2008, 19:35
One of my school-mates was in this ship-he was, Roger Poole, son of the sports master. What a bitter irony! Had he stayed with us in school he may well be living today. I've never succeeded in tracing any survivor who may have befriended him on-board.

Chouan
22nd May 2008, 22:59
Synopsis: It is 1940. The world is at war and the lives of two English boys are about to be changed forever. Jonathan Hicks, heir to the Cornish estate of Goonzoyle, and Ted Johns, son of the estate's groundskeeper, find themselves floating in an icy Atlantic Ocean, clinging to the wreckage of the doomed SS City of Benares. The ship was carrying British evacuee children to a new home, but as it made its perilous way to the USA it was torpedoed by a German U-boat. Jonathan and Ted have been thrown together in spite of their different backgrounds, but as the chance of rescue ebbs further away, it becomes clear only one can survive. It is 2001. At her home in Cornwall, bestselling writer Jessica Mann is busy researching her book about the wartime evacuation of children, Out of Harm's Way, when she is contacted by Connie, Ted Johns' sister, who has recently bought the derelict manor house at Goonzoyle. Jessica is drawn into playing detective to discover what really happened aboard the SS City of Benares, and why that brief moment in history is the key to present events. Matters take a decidedly sinister turn when human bones are discovered at Goonzoyle, and Jessica is hurled into a race to uncover the secrets that bind the Hicks and Johns families together

Has anybody read this? Is it any good? It looks curious and I'm interested, but given how poor most novels concerning Merchant Ships are, I'd like an opinion before I buy.

The synopsis is the publisher's blurb by the way.

charles henry
31st May 2008, 16:28

Sounds like the kind of thing publshed by Harlequin, if you wait a little while you can get "The eight lives of Charles Henry" if I can get off my duff and arrange to get it published... regards chas (Pint)