Are there any old pussers out there

tchannell
16th May 2008, 12:59
Hi all. I'm Terry, a new member. Any there any old ex RN or RAN members who served on the Daring Class destroyer "DUCHESS"? I was fortunate enough to spend a year or so on her, including some time off Vietnam during the war, with voyages to Japan and several other Asian ports in '69 and '70, and have many fond memories. I'd love to get my hands on a photo of this most beautiful and graceful looking ship, the last of the truly beautiful destroyers before they became so top-heavy and utilitarian, if anyone can help me. I also spent 15 years "driving" assorted Australian Army watercraft, including LARC V's, LCM 8's, workboats and tugs, taking them where they were never intended to go. If any one else has experiences in small craft, stretching their limits, it would be nice to hear from you. I also have had some "interesting" times managing a stevedoring operation for 7 years, so I've just about experienced the lot. I sailed frrom Oz to the UK on the old Chandris line "AUSTRALIS", so it would be nice to see a picture of her as well. Looking forward to some interesting communications. Cheers!

non descript
16th May 2008, 13:05
Terry, a warm welcome to you and thank you for a good introduction piece that I am sure will brings some good replies. Thank you for joining the community; enjoy the site and all it has to offer, and we very much look forward to your postings in due course. Bon Voyage

There are quite a few pictures of Australis on the Site - one of them is here (http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=88376)

Roger Jordan
16th May 2008, 13:47
If you go to

http://www.photoship.co.uk/HTML%20Lists/Ships.htm

and scroll down, to Duchess D154-1, -2, -3, -4, -5, you will find five good quality images of this destroyer.

K urgess
16th May 2008, 14:42
Welcome to the crew, Terry.
I see you've had help from other crew members already.
Find your way around the ship and enjoy the voyage.

Oz.
16th May 2008, 15:22
G'day Terry. I was an apprentice at Williamstown Dockyard when Duchess was transferred to RAN after the loss of Voyager. I was almost at the end of my time, and left to go to sea before Duchess joined our fleet. I have a vivid memory of the ships rum being poured into the sea at Williamstown amid the tears of many of the Dockyard Mateys. I was in the engineroom at the time and the smell of rum was almost overpowering so I had to stick my head out and take a look. Welcome to this site, be warned, its very addictive!

Bruce Carson
16th May 2008, 23:22
From Michigan, a warm welcome to Ships Nostalgia, Terry.
Thanks for the nice introduction, it's good to have you onboard.

Bruce

gdynia
17th May 2008, 02:37
Welcome onboard to SN and enjoy the voyage

R58484956
17th May 2008, 15:35
Greetings Terry and welcome to SN. Bon voyage.

peter brown
17th May 2008, 17:15
Welcome Terry, I was on the London 69-70 when we did a far east tour, might have seen you in the China Fleet Club at some time! Enjoy your stay here mate, it certainly is addictive!

tchannell
18th May 2008, 09:02
From Michigan, a warm welcome to Ships Nostalgia, Terry.
Thanks for the nice introduction, it's good to have you onboard.

Bruce
Thanks Bruce. Very nice to meet you. Is that your yacht in the photo? It looks very similar to my first yacht. I lived in Sydney for all my time in the army and had a 24' Triton for a few years. It was my first attempt at sailing and my wife (at the time) and 2 small children has enormous fun on her. Sydney Harbour is a fabulous environment to sail in - beautiful natural bush for lots of the shoreline, sheltered waters, lovely clear seas and clean beaches in little bays. I sold it eventually and traded up to a 40 footer wooden yacht. Unfortunately, the military became too demanding of my time and I was home less and less......then the maintenance took up what should have been sailing time. Finally, good sense prevailed and I had to sell it. Took up motorcycling instead! Like a lot of guys, I'd like to retire to a live-aboard eventually. I had the good fortune to be detached to a US Army waterborne unit in Hawaii for a couple of months back around 1990. I had a wonderful time with them, spending most of the time at sea on a very large landing vessel. The officers and crew spoiled me terribly and I made some wonderful long-term friends. It was very kind of you to respond to my intro.
I trust things are well in Michigan. Cheers Terry