G,day from Queensland

NOVICE
19th May 2008, 03:06
Hi All, new to this forum and will be picking the brains of all you Celestial Navigators over the coming months before i go to school, just need to find the correct forum for asking the questions/problems i have.

The idea is to go into the classroom with a least some understanding of what the instructor talking about.......

Cheers John.

gdynia
19th May 2008, 03:12
Welcome onboard to SN and enjoy the voyage

Bruce Carson
19th May 2008, 03:18
From Michigan, a warm welcome to Ships Nostalgia, John.
Fire away and perhaps our members will help you pass the course.

Bruce

NOVICE
19th May 2008, 06:37
From Michigan, a warm welcome to Ships Nostalgia, John.
Fire away and perhaps our members will help you pass the course.

Bruce

Hi Bruce, Where would be the best forum to post questions about Celestial Nav.

John

non descript
19th May 2008, 08:25
John, a warm welcome to you. Thank you for joining the community; enjoy the site and all it has to offer, and we very much look forward to your postings in due course. - In passing, I would suggest The Bridge is the best forum for your query, but never fear, we are happy to move things around for you. Bon Voyage

R58484956
19th May 2008, 12:30
Greetings John and welcome.Bon voyage.

K urgess
19th May 2008, 14:10
Welcome to the crew, John.
I see you've had some replies from the crew already.
Carry on with the good work. Someone's got to be able to navigate when the technology goes belly up.
Explore the ship and enjoy the voyage.

benjidog
19th May 2008, 23:47
Welcome from Lancashire.

I hope you will enjoy the site.

Regards,

Brian

Keith Adams
26th July 2008, 02:18
Hi John, The only tip I can offer right now is, until you have passed all of your exams through Master's ... always do your sights, stability and stowage calculations by the methods required in the written examinations ... no short cuts, no matter how tempting ... that way you will be sure to 'Ace' your Writtens. Also, unless you are with a hard company wherein Mates are expected to know and do any job on deck as well as the most capable Sailor (ah, the old days!) ... you had better pay VERY close attention (keep a journal) as to how the Bosun and the experienced Sailors do their various jobs, especially when overhauling and rigging cargo gear; right down to the positioning of washers and pins and orientation of shackles and how to sling various types of cargo ... if you are stuck on a container ship ... wander along the dock to a Breakbulk ship or try to visit a Bulker or Tanker to see how things are done ... take notes ... will help 'Ace' Orals ... do they still hold Oral Examinations after the Writtens ? Who knows, one day you will be retired and one of the few blokes around who will know how to run a present day older vessel that has suddenly become Historic !! I wish you success, Keith.