RMS Circassia, travelled march 1964. Bombay - Liverpool

agandhi
20th May 2008, 01:25
I was 4 years old. Left Bombay to Liverpool, around march 1964.
Travelled with 5 siblings and my mother. Anybody have a picture or passenger list, any body have an idea on what route was taken.thanks.

K urgess
20th May 2008, 01:37
Welcome to the crew.
There may be someone aboard who can help with your query.
Meanwhile explore the ship and enjoy the voyage.

gdynia
20th May 2008, 01:40
Welcome onboard to SN and enjoy the voyage

Bruce Carson
20th May 2008, 02:21
From Michigan, a warm welcome to Ships Nostalgia, agandhi.
Timetable images has two Anchor Line schedules from the early 1960s for the 'Circassia' and her sisterships, 'Cilicia' and 'Caledonia':
Bombay, Karachi, Aden, Port Said, Gibraltar and Liverpool.
http://www.timetableimages.com/maritime/images/anchor.htm

Bruce

R58484956
20th May 2008, 12:58
Greetings agandhi and welcome. Bon voyage.

PKiddell
2nd June 2008, 02:28
I was intermediate 2/E on the Cillicia in !955/56 and as mentioned the round trip was Glasgow,Birkenhead,Liverpool landing stage,then Port Said,Aden for fuel,Karachi, Bombay for 6 weeks then the return voyage. Looking back can appreciate it would have been pretty tough for your Mother trying to get kids to sleep ,no air conditioning. A.C. consisted of doing a 360 degree turn in the Red sea with all ports and doors open, departing Port Said North bound was looked forward to, particularly down in the engine room. Always remember that the breakfast meal had onion soup at the bottom of the menu.never quite figured that out !! Anyway fed well ,and had good Goanese stewards looking after cabins etc. Have some good memories, but unfortunately have lost touch with the blokes I sailed with.
Peter Kiddell

JimC
2nd June 2008, 14:07
I was 4 years old. Left Bombay to Liverpool, around march 1964.
Travelled with 5 siblings and my mother. Anybody have a picture or passenger list, any body have an idea on what route was taken.thanks.

Hi there!

I don't really remember you but I was 3rd Mate on Circassia that trip. The old man was 'Bomber' Harris. Can't remember the rest of them but might have included Bobby Langmuir. The trip was Bombay, Karachi, Aden, Suez Canal then to Liverpool Liver Building landing stage (I think). Long time ago. Glad to see our feeding kept you alive and made you flourish.

All the best!

benjidog
3rd June 2008, 00:23
Welcome from Lancashire.

I hope you will enjoy the site.

Regards,

Brian

Medic
8th September 2008, 17:33
Always remember that the breakfast meal had onion soup at the bottom of the menu.never quite figured that out !!
Peter Kiddell

I was Ship's Surgeon on RMS Circassia July-September 1963, filling in for the regular and while I was between hospital posts as a young doctor.
I've always remembered the onion soup on the breakfast menu and often mentioned it to people. The head chef on my voyage........No 84 I think, was a Dutch man. He said that the onion soup was there because it was the best cure for a hangover !
That was where I discovered that a measure of Scotch was 'up to the flag' in the tumbler.................