Hello from me

Sunda
20th May 2008, 23:11
Having joined the forum a couple of days ago, and made a couple of posts while I was looking around, I realised that I ought to introduce myself.

I was at sea with the P&O-Orient Line from 1963 to 1972. I started out as a Deck Apprentice then after 2nd Mates in 1966 I moved on through 4/O, 3/O and 2/O before finally coming ashore.

My first ship was the "Sunda". Straight off I did three round trips to Japan from the UK and NW Europe. This got a good chunk of the seatime for 2nd Mates under my belt. I came back to "Sunda" for a coastal voyage to complete my time for 2nd Mates then yet again for another Far East trip as 3/O. She featured strongly in my seagoing career.

Some of the other ships I sailed on were as follows. "Balranald", I joined her immediately after she was taken over from B.I. and had been renamed from "Nyanza" and the first thing we had to do was repaint her in P&O colours. She was followed by "Chusan" and then "Salmara" and then the coastal voyage on "Sunda" before I went for 2nd Mates. After 2nd Mates there was "Orcades", "Sunda" again, quite a lot of relief work on coastal voyages and cruises, "Pando Sound" and then finally "Uganda" doing school cruises. The last was of course a B.I. ship but this was just after the big P&O Group shake up when all the old company names, and identities, disappeared.

K urgess
20th May 2008, 23:15
Welcome aboard from East Yorkshire, Sunda.
Nice introduction.
Plenty of P&O in the crew to exchange reminiscences with as you've probably found.
Plenty to discover on the ship yet.
Enjoy the trip.

benjidog
21st May 2008, 00:20
Welcome from Lancashire.

I hope you will enjoy the site.

Regards,

Brian

gdynia
21st May 2008, 00:50
Welcome onboard to SN and enjoy the voyage

Bruce Carson
21st May 2008, 15:18
From Michigan, a warm welcome to Ships Nostalgia, Sunda
Good to have you onboard and posting to our site.
Thanks for that fine introduction.

Bruce