RFA Ennerdale

charles henry
21st May 2008, 17:47
Anyone out there who sailed on the RFA Ennerdale, I was on her 1944 we were based at Malta and were fitted with gantries for launching landing craft. Joined her at Greenock and discharged in Messina where I went to the military hospital in Catania. Believe she survived the war and then ran aground on a non charted (Pint) reef off the Seycelles in the sixties(?)

ian d.cameron
21st May 2008, 22:06
Hi Charles welcome aboard photo and info
http://www.photoship.co.uk/JAlbum%20Ships/Old%20Ships%20E/slides/Ennerdale-02.html
http://www.miramarshipindex.org.nz/ship/show/182640

holland25
21st May 2008, 23:09
Anyone out there who sailed on the RFA Ennerdale, I was on her 1944 we were based at Malta and were fitted with gantries for launching landing craft. Joined her at Greenock and discharged in Messina where I went to the military hospital in Catania. Believe she survived the war and then ran aground on a non charted (Pint) reef off the Seychelles in the sixties(?)

I believe the ENNERDALE you sailed on was scrapped in 1959.The ENNERDALE that ran aground in the Seychelles was a bareboat charter. She was first chartered in 1967 and hit an uncharted rock off the Seychelles in 1970.All hands were saved, and in fact I attended a course in 1970 with one of the R/Os.

The details above are from Tony James book "The Royal Fleet Auxiliary 1905-85"

Lancastrian
22nd May 2008, 16:03
Photo of Ennerdale (2) sinking at http://www.rfaaplymouth.org/GGMleafs.htm
Ennerdale (1) was completed as a Landing Ship Gantry in 1941. Took part in North African, Italian and Far East Landings. Damaged by mine at Port Swettenham, December 1945. Sold for scrap 1958. Source Sigwart.
From Wiki - In August 1943, Captain ST Dunster was awarded the OBE. Citation - "The ship [RFA Ennerdale] played a vital part in carrying oil and petrol to forces operating off the coast of North Africa and was the focus of sustained and heavy air attacks. So skilfully was she handled by her Master and so efficient was her barrage that she sustained no damage, and performed invaluable work. In addition to this service, her Master did well in two Malta convoys earlier in the war. His courage and resource have been unfailing."

blatherskite
16th January 2011, 20:21
Charles Henry - Just read your post asking about crew on the RFA Ennerdale, 1944.
My late father, James Black joined the Merchant Navy at 17 and served on the Ennerdale as a steward during wartime but not sure when, maybe he served at the same time as yourself?

Anyone out there who sailed on the RFA Ennerdale, I was on her 1944 we were based at Malta and were fitted with gantries for launching landing craft. Joined her at Greenock and discharged in Messina where I went to the military hospital in Catania. Believe she survived the war and then ran aground on a non charted (Pint) reef off the Seycelles in the sixties(?)

graham.wood
8th August 2012, 18:26
The Ennerdale you are perhaps thinking about was a fleet tanker serving the RN in the Indian Ocean in the 70's. She was a bulk carrier and had very limited gear compared to todays RFA's.
I was in charge of the Communication Centre in Bahrain when the SOS was received from her in about 1971. She had indeed struck an uncharted pinical off the Seychelles and sank within 7 minutes. All hands managed to get to the boats and were picked up. Stories have it that the Chief Engineer even managed to pack some important items of kit!!
Regards Slinger Wood ex RN ex RFA(==D)

hinderton86
9th September 2012, 20:27
The Ennerdale you are perhaps thinking about was a fleet tanker serving the RN in the Indian Ocean in the 70's. She was a bulk carrier and had very limited gear compared to todays RFA's.
I was in charge of the Communication Centre in Bahrain when the SOS was received from her in about 1971. She had indeed struck an uncharted pinical off the Seychelles and sank within 7 minutes. All hands managed to get to the boats and were picked up. Stories have it that the Chief Engineer even managed to pack some important items of kit!!
Regards Slinger Wood ex RN ex RFA(==D)

Stories have a habit of being distorted over time. It was not the Chief Engineer who managed to pack some kit. He didn't even have the opportunity to collect the Engine Room Log Book. That however is another story.

jberry6
24th September 2012, 12:05
Would anyone out there have an idea where I might find plans for RFA Creosol (torpedoed 7 Feb, 1918 off Sunderland by UC-17)? - or plans of sister ships?

jberry6
24th September 2012, 12:08
I'm also looking for plans of War Mehtar, sunk 22 Nov, 1941, sunk by Eboat S-104. Can anyone help?

charles henry
25th September 2012, 17:42
Charles Henry - Just read your post asking about crew on the RFA Ennerdale, 1944.
My late father, James Black joined the Merchant Navy at 17 and served on the Ennerdale as a steward during wartime but not sure when, maybe he served at the same time as yourself?

The name doesn ring a bell but was a long time ago.
I find it interesting that you ae the only one who actually answered my question, the other "answers" told me where the ship was during the war........ hell I was on her so I already knew where she was and what she was doling ....(Got up on the wrong side of bed this morning....grumphy)
Chas..

doodly95
28th November 2014, 18:33

hi there my wife's granda said that he sailed on the rfa ennerdale in the forties
his name is jim fraser from port glasgow , i don't know if you would know him he is now 95.

LouisB
28th November 2014, 21:30
Stories have a habit of being distorted over time. It was not the Chief Engineer who managed to pack some kit. He didn't even have the opportunity to collect the Engine Room Log Book. That however is another story.

The way I heard it :- The boats were pulling away as she sank and the C/Eng asked the watch junior (with some feeling) "did you manage to rescue the e.r. log books"? The junior stated he had and replied "I rushed up with them and put them into the box outside your cabin" To which the Chief replied you **&** **%%$**.

LouisB. (Scribe)

Bill.B
5th December 2014, 00:37
I remember talking to Bargie Botham the old man I sailed with on both Chemical Venturer and Nordic Patriot saying he had sailed on the best tanker J J Denholms ever had, the Naess Scotsman, and the RFA sunk it. The Ennerdale reef is on the charts. All sorts of stories about it when on Orangeleaf in 73.

hinderton86
5th December 2014, 21:22
The way I heard it :- The boats were pulling away as she sank and the C/Eng asked the watch junior (with some feeling) "did you manage to rescue the e.r. log books"? The junior stated he had and replied "I rushed up with them and put them into the box outside your cabin" To which the Chief replied you **&** **%%$**.

LouisB. (Scribe)
Your version is near to the truth. If I can still remember correctly the reply was you "stupid boy"or similar.