The end is nigh for Win XP

George Elder
22nd May 2008, 04:55
For those using Win XP it is soon to be laid to rest, pity it is a good OS.
I'm using it on my main computer and Vista on my laptop.

End 14/04/2009 Security updates only till 8/04/2014

p://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/?LN=en-au&p1=3223&x=9&y=11

I'm considering moving over to UBUNTO 'Hardy Heron' in the near future, loads of free programs in fact its all free.
I've already tried UBUNTU 'Gutsy Gibbon' and am impressed.

Trouble with Vista for some is that some aging systems might not be able to handle an upgrade.
My unit can but at over $200 for Vista plus having to upgrade tack-on programs no thanks mister Gates.

(Thumb)

Frank P
22nd May 2008, 07:45
I have had Linux open suse 10.2 running on my wife's computer for about a year and we have had no trouble at all (touch wood), I would recommend it.

Cheers Frank (Thumb)

statement
2nd June 2008, 20:38
I am sorry to hear that XP is going the way of the dodo. I had it on my last HP and it was great. I got Vista Home Premium on the new HP and it is a disaster, No spell check and no highlighting of passages for printing, print it all or print nothing.

Speed is not good and download is not great either. I would not be up to the speed of our friend Mr. Gates but the produce is not worth the cost.

I wil look at the programmes you mentioned.

Cheers Tom

treeve
2nd June 2008, 21:30
By the time another six years has passed there will be ever more changes, and evermore threats posed by idiots with nothing better to do than irritate real users, and there will be faster and more complex computers and component parts, as well as a massive array of external equipment and massive changes on the internet; time to get a new computer then, make sure you have backed everything up safely and securely, keep a computer set by just to operate the old reliable and well known software, and convert everything possible for the new hydra headed elephantine operating systems that will oust Vista .... am I pothered? Bring it on ....

Gavin Gait
2nd June 2008, 21:38
I think by the time the updates stop I will probably have changed over to Linux ( probably try it on my older PC first so I don't loose anything on this one ). so Bill Gates ain't getting any more of my money. I know you can buy new PC's with Linux installed so at some point I will upgrade to Linux but this PC will ( has to lol ) last me a while yet !!

King Ratt
2nd June 2008, 22:57
Perhaps the time has come to "turn fruit" and get an Apple!

treeve
2nd June 2008, 23:22
I tried Apple twice (two different computers) years ago, and it drove me up the wall as I could not find anything or make it do what I wanted. I am a Windows user since 1994, too late to change now ...

Keltic Star
3rd June 2008, 05:54
Perhaps the time has come to "turn fruit" and get an Apple!

My first computer was an Apple 3, the dealer sold it to me three weeks before they announced the Mac. Cost was $7,000, took it home and plugged it in, Zip, Nader, Nothing. Went back to the dealer the next morning and asked for help. They said, you didn't buy any software to make it operate. $1,000 later had a working Apple, Visicalc, Word Perfect and Castle Colditz, all for an investment of $8,000. They also offered me a hard drive for an extra $1,000.

Apple makes good equipment but because of their crooked dealer would never, ever buy any of their their products again!

K urgess
3rd June 2008, 10:45
Recently got my daughter a MacBook.
First go was an Acer Aspire laptop that went back about 8 times and came back with more faults than it left with.
I inherited that and it works fine if I kick it every so often.
The MacBook was a completely different kettle of fish. The build quality is excellent, the software looks like a high end version of Windows GUI and she's had no problems that I know of. The extra expense was worth it.
Unfortunately I haven't been able to get my hands on it to play with. [=P]
One of our first home network was a Unix/CPM based hardwired system that I had acquired in a deal against a mini system the size of a sideboard. Good but limited software and graphics.
I've been using Windows since it first came out because I'm lazy and all the programs are written for it.
I tried Linux ages ago but it was too much like hard work. I would think it's improved a bit and the software is now more varied.
When this machine gives up the ghost I'll certainly be considering a MacBook with all the peripherals on a wireless network. It all depends if I can get used to the software and if I can do what I do on this XP machine.
XP will not suddenly die because too many people use it. Even though it's no longer supported a lot of people still use Win95 and get all the support they need on the net.
Try this for some comparisons - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_operating_systems

A pic of our first PC is attached. (==D)

Jeffers
3rd June 2008, 11:16
A pic of our first PC is attached. (==D)

Had a good laugh at that! I remember working on similar systems early in my IT career. It really brings home the changes that anyone working in the computer trade has gone through over the years. Mind you, I suppose the same is true about most trades, you are just more aware of the ones you've experienced first hand. We have some great "nostalgia" chats amongst the more mature of us about the most primitive systems we ever worked on. My first job in the computer business was maintaining 80 column card punch machines that were used for data entry before tape drives were in common use. That was followed by a data entry system that used 8" floppy discs, a whole 100kb per disk capacity if I remember correctly!
Could be an idea for another site - "ComputerNostalgia"! LOL.

K urgess
3rd June 2008, 11:40
The only time I saw a punch card machine was on a course. They were mostly gone except in big computer suites when I started.
Midis where the thing. Mostly in solicitors account offices.
I can get nostalgic about old systems but I can't get nostalgic about having to move the damn things around.
Each of those three grey units with black fronts below the processor (top left) and tape deck (right) in the main unit are a whole 23 megabyte Pertec hard drive. Each the size of a suitcase and weighing close to 100 pounds each. 3 fixed platters and one removable. (EEK)
The rack on top contains mostly memory boards. Some 256Kb and some really big ones of 1Mb each. (Whaaa)
I've still got a magnetic core memory board knocking about somewhere.(Smoke)
After I'd finished fettling and playing with the unit we sold it to a customer for ten grand. The Memsahib wanted her front room back.
With reference to this thread most of these operating systems have disappeared or been developed beyond recognition so things like MSDOS, DRDOS, CPM, etc., are a bit like the old versions of Windows. Gone but not particularly missed unless you're feeling nostalgic.

Attached is the third PC I got and the first generation of really personal computers. Advertised as being so small it could be moved from desk to desk.
I think the Winchester unit contained two hard drives of a whole 8Mbs each.
Processor a Z80 and based on a Heathkit unit. Overtaken by the IBM PC that developed graphics faster. A bit like the VHS/Betamax wars.

GWB
3rd June 2008, 11:51
Like King Rat advises change the fruit been Mac user 17+ years and it even works backward to stuff done in years gone by. Windows 95 was what Mac did in 85 nothing new, always remember you only get what you pay for, have Mac Book and it will switch from Windows to Mac at a click. I have asked my staff as how they find it all say best thing since sliced bread also most off them have given up PCs and now run macs as it runs windows better. Mac's come complete I photo, I DVD, I movie, Etc.

Cheers
GWB

Gavin Gait
3rd June 2008, 11:54
It took up till WindowsME for Microsoft to catch up , in my opinion , to as easy a use system as the Commodore A500+ had in 1990

Bruce Carson
3rd June 2008, 11:58
Am I the only kid on the block that can still read 80 column punch cards?(EEK)

Jeffers
3rd June 2008, 14:48
Am I the only kid on the block that can still read 80 column punch cards?(EEK)

I might be a bit rusty but I could work it out, the letters and numbers anyway, not sure about any punctuation.
When I was maintaining a site with around 700 punch card machines we used to type up a test card of the alphabet and numerics forwards and then backwards. I used to be able to rattle on of these off in a few seconds. Got really slick at it and could do them without looking at the keyboard. It's a long forgotten skill now, of course, like many other things........

surfaceblow
3rd June 2008, 19:20
The last time I used 80 column cards was in a high school computer course using FORTRAN (around 1969). I did get good at reading the hex lights on the computer.
It helped a lot in troubleshooting the General Electric Consoles on the converted Mariners that US Lines had. After reading the lights on converter you could narrow down to which card the processor stopped on.

George Elder
5th June 2008, 07:56
An update on my original Post.
I downloaded Ubuntu Hardy heron and load it, You can run it inside Win XP which I have done.
To say I'm impressed is an under statement, tells you updates (security system etc) are available. New programs are a breeze to install and the OpenOffice program In my opinion leaves MS Office for dead. And at $0000.00 is quite cheap, for those of us on fixed incomes it is the way to go.
As matter of interest I built my own Computer with generic parts which makes for a cheap easily upgradable unit.
AMD 64 Athlon Dual Core 6000, Asis M/B and 2gb Ram (alwas Kingston) etc etc

limeybiker
6th June 2008, 21:56
Vista's end is in sight anyway. Next year.

http://www.infoworld.com/article/07/02/09/HNvistafollowup_1.html

Supern
21st June 2008, 08:21
I had Vista on my new computer and hated it so had it removed and XP put on.

I think XP will be around for a long time yet. Vista does not work with all cameras and other software and some printers do not work. We have two apple mac laptops and two pcs here. My husbands work have only just switched to XP and they have thousands of computers.

I was discussing this with my computer man and our discussion went along the lines of Microsoft uses us as their trial and when all the problems have been ironed out then the large organisations buy the programme from them.

I have Vista but its staying off my computers. I think its like ME and something else is in the wind anyway.

Keckers
21st June 2008, 09:31
Vista is apparently only a temporary impovement. Windows 07 is the next one (OS) - already doing beta testing I hear. Scheduled for release 2010 - not a lifetime away.

Frank P
21st June 2008, 10:19
It has been broadcast on a tech program that Microsoft have backtracked on their previous announcement about the demise of WIN XP and are now saying that that WIN XP will be available and for sale until 2010 and it will be supported until 2015. So you you don't need to bother with Vista.

Cheers Frank

Chris Isaac
21st June 2008, 13:17
Good riddance to it, it is a very unreliable operating system
So far we have had
Windows 1
Windows 2
Windows 3
Windows NT
Windows XP
Windows 2000
Windows Vista
and I expect there are more

All of them totally compatible at the name level!

Keckers
21st June 2008, 14:48
You missed out Windows 95 and Windows 98. Must confess not had much bother with XP. Vista is having the usual teething troubles most new OS' do - although supposedly all fixed now with SP1 (although there are still heaps of drivers still missing for printers, scanners et al).

GEORDIE LAD
21st June 2008, 21:08
Thank goodness for the continued support for XP.We have it on 3 machines,one PC and 2 laptops and have never had the hint of a problem....Doug

tell
21st June 2008, 23:33
I always though that win 98 was as good as anything else produced

billyboy
22nd June 2008, 00:03
Must admit to being a fan of Windows 98 myself. Good working system with less problems that XP

BobClay
22nd June 2008, 00:15
"The end is nigh for Win XP"

No it isn't. That's just silly.

"Vista"

Could go the way of Millienium, Windows 7 lurks in the trees.

"Linux doesn't have the same problems."

Oh yes it does, and then some.

"Any new operating system has problems.."

Absolutely right.

"Bill Gates won't get any more of my money.."

I'm sure that will break his heart. But since he appears to be giving most of it away anyway .... does it really matter ?

"Windows 98"

It is a good system, but the machines have moved on, and you must move with it if you intend to be serious (hey guys, I'm an old fashioned keybasher, but a morse key is not going to compete with megabit technology. Live with it.)

PS
I mean no offence here, but you have to keep moving, up until the day you croak.

Coastie
22nd June 2008, 00:57
For those using Win XP it is soon to be laid to rest, pity it is a good OS.
I'm using it on my main computer and Vista on my laptop.

End 14/04/2009 Security updates only till 8/04/2014

p://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/?LN=en-au&p1=3223&x=9&y=11

I'm considering moving over to UBUNTO 'Hardy Heron' in the near future, loads of free programs in fact its all free.
I've already tried UBUNTU 'Gutsy Gibbon' and am impressed.

Trouble with Vista for some is that some aging systems might not be able to handle an upgrade.
My unit can but at over $200 for Vista plus having to upgrade tack-on programs no thanks mister Gates.

(Thumb)

My confuser came with Vista ready loaded (EEK) and, being a computer numpty and used to the system we use at work, (Don't ask, it's not Vista that's all I know!) I am finding it difficult to find my way around.

Coastie
22nd June 2008, 02:57
I always favoured Apple.

Chief Engineer's Daughter
22nd June 2008, 03:03
My confuser came with Vista ready loaded (EEK) and, being a computer numpty and used to the system we use at work, (Don't ask, it's not Vista that's all I know!) I am finding it difficult to find my way around.

We use Windows XP at work, Coastie.

Keckers
22nd June 2008, 17:06
I always though that win 98 was as good as anything else produced

You've obviously never had "the blue screen of death" then.....

Ron Stringer
23rd June 2008, 19:24
You've obviously never had "the blue screen of death" then.....

If you think Win 98 was bad for blue screens, then you can't have met NT. We had an IT dept of about 12 people and they were kept running (not walking) from PC to PC trying to keep up with NT.

Lksimcoe
23rd June 2008, 20:31
I bought a new laptop a few months ago, and it came with the Vista home Ultimate. So far, no big problems.

BUT. I decided to buy MSOffice for home. Well, at work, we have office 2003, and at home, it's office 2007. Not ONE BLOODY THING IS THE SAME. I get so frustrated I am sometimes tempted to heave it onto the street.

I have been using computers since the early 80's, and have programmed on HP3000, IBM midrange, ancient ancient Burroughs mainframes, (with a total memory capacity of 256k). My first pc was an old Apple 2e, then the IBM's, then clones. This one is an HP, and is good.

BUT I HATE MICROSOFT. I have norton systemworks, download new security updates weekly, do a complete system scan, including all subdirectories weekly, and I have still been cleaned out.
For a browser, I now use firefox, as it's a lot more secure.

Now if I could just keep my loving partner away from ebay, maybe my bank account would go above $0?

Keckers
24th June 2008, 12:57
I bought a new laptop a few months ago, and it came with the Vista home Ultimate. So far, no big problems.

BUT. I decided to buy MSOffice for home. Well, at work, we have office 2003, and at home, it's office 2007. Not ONE BLOODY THING IS THE SAME. I get so frustrated I am sometimes tempted to heave it onto the street.

I have been using computers since the early 80's, and have programmed on HP3000, IBM midrange, ancient ancient Burroughs mainframes, (with a total memory capacity of 256k). My first pc was an old Apple 2e, then the IBM's, then clones. This one is an HP, and is good.

BUT I HATE MICROSOFT. I have norton systemworks, download new security updates weekly, do a complete system scan, including all subdirectories weekly, and I have still been cleaned out.
For a browser, I now use firefox, as it's a lot more secure.

Now if I could just keep my loving partner away from ebay, maybe my bank account would go above $0?

We have hp computers at work. The only computer I've ever seen that has built in error codes with "beeps" to tell you what's wrong with it WHEN (not if) it goes wrong. Utter rubbish pc's and wouldn't buy one myself.

charles henry
24th June 2008, 21:46

The main trouble with vista was that it was full of problems, Last year I replaced two laptops, turned out all new computers in north america had Vista, having read many reports on Vista I put off the purchase telling the dealer to phone me if he could supply them with xp. Two weeks later all the main manufacturers such as Del, HP, acer etc stopped using Vista and put
xp on their machines.

So any Vista you get now "has been repaired" and you better hope so.
de chas(Pint)

athinai
29th June 2008, 23:32
Got a Present of a New Computer running on Vista, I found it a most Irritating experience, I Chucked Vista out and am running XP again., Glad to be back in Familiar territory.

raybnz
30th June 2008, 08:16
I am running Vista on a laptop at present Had to put 2GB RAM in to make in run properly but still don't like. My main computer is stored at present while we build a new house Cannot wait to get back on it as it runs XP

R58484956
10th July 2008, 16:12
Microsoft has stated XP will extend support until 2014 including security upgrades and fixes and Windows 7 should appear January 2010. Should you require PC/laptop with XP preloaded as a "downgrade" that will be available until 31st Jan 2009.

BobClay
12th July 2008, 00:45
I've run Vista for some time, since I did beta testing for Microsoft a year or so before it was released. My computers are all 3 years or more old, using 3.4 Ghz Pentium 4's so they're not dual core state of the art. I also use XP, not by dual boot, but by using swappable drive cradles for drive C.

The thing with Vista is:

a) It does need a reasonably fast and powerful CPU. I'd say my computers are about adequate, nothing more.

b) Even so I have maxxed out the RAM. You really need 2Gbytes or more to get the best out of it. I scoured ebay and pushed all of them out to 4Gbytes just to fill up the dual channel slots.

c) I use high spec graphics cards also, necessary if you use any version of Vista above Home Basic because it uses a lot of graphics power.

d) A lot of users don't like the User Account Control system, (the constant balloons asking you if you are sure, or advising that you need to be an administrator to perform tasks). This however is easily switched off, leaving the security of the system about on a par with XP. Anyboy who has used Linux will be used to this sort of thing.

e) Some software simply wont suck Vista, but then, we had the same scenario when XP first came out. Drivers too for older peripherals can be a problem, although for all my machines, I've managed to get drivers for everything.

Vista isn't as bad as some people are making out. I've never encountered a real problem with it. I will admit however that some changes seem to have been made sheerly for the bloodymindedness of change, and the defragger pretty much sucks.

There's certainly nothing wrong with XP and it'll be around for a few years yet.

George Elder
30th July 2008, 06:36
Re the end of Win XP. log on to this web page and read it properly, its says exactly as I stated at the beginning of this thread.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-xp/future.aspx

I also have Vista on my lap top and In common with other users it loses my dvd drive contiually, as for fixing the problem been there done that to no avail.