Web acronyms like lol

JeffM
22nd May 2008, 07:19
Need to be careful about these acronyms that appear on SN and other sites. Being on the other side of 50 I thought lol meant lots of love, so have been discrete and selective in my use of it. My daughter tells me lol means laugh out loud - an entirely different meaning. All those SN posts with lol as a bye line now take on adifferent meaning - and I thought you were all a loving cosy bunch. Oh well something about an old dog and new tricks here. Any other web acronyms that I need to know about? Cheers and lol to all, jeffM

Jeffers
22nd May 2008, 09:09
There are literally hundreds of them, quite a lot are common to texting.

Take a look here - http://www.webacronyms.com/

I only use a few, I remember having to ask that same question myself some time ago.......

JeffM
22nd May 2008, 09:48
Jeffers, TVM for the list and website. FCOL WNDITWD. I am suffering from UBD and have FAAKed. OTTOMH should this become an OOTC for SN members? Otherwise they might end up with PCO. SCNR. THX. jeffM

JoK
22nd May 2008, 10:37
Your post made me LOL JeffM :)

K urgess
22nd May 2008, 11:31
If you type LOL inside brackets you get (LOL)
Same applies to EEK (EEK)
You get all these if you use the green post reply button instead of the post quick reply window.
If you know the codes you can post them just about anywhere on site.
But I expect you all know that anyway (Whaaa)

Jeffers
22nd May 2008, 13:34
But I expect you all know that anyway (Whaaa)

You kidding?!?!?!?

To put it diplomatically, I don't think that the majority of our members would be classed as computer experts.........

I know that I just about know enough to know that there's a lot more that I don't know!(EEK)

JeffM
22nd May 2008, 15:49
Well, it is BTS (back to school) for me! Thanks to Jeffers and Marconi Sahib I now have two lots of homework. And I thought I was up to date with my Fortran IV and a drawer full of punch cards. (LOL) - this is a tryout following marconis instructions.

Jeffers
23rd May 2008, 15:12
Well, it is BTS (back to school) for me! Thanks to Jeffers and Marconi Sahib I now have two lots of homework. And I thought I was up to date with my Fortran IV and a drawer full of punch cards. (LOL) - this is a tryout following marconis instructions.

My first job in the IT hardware business was maintaining 80 column card punch machines. I've just worked out that it was just about 30 years ago........thanks for making me feel old!

Riptide
23rd May 2008, 15:33
Jeffers, TVM for the list and website. FCOL WNDITWD. I am suffering from UBD and have FAAKed. OTTOMH should this become an OOTC for SN members? Otherwise they might end up with PCO. SCNR. THX. jeffM
Might just as well be Latin.In fact I might have more chance of understanding Latin.Kenny.(Cloud)

samuel j
23rd May 2008, 15:38
My kids tell me to RTFM.... when I ask how to install my kind of music on an Apple Ipod..... Took me a while to figure out it was 'Read the F... Manual'.... the devils.... (LOL)

K urgess
23rd May 2008, 15:46
When I started my new career in computers it was by attending a course at the Control Data Institute just off Oxford Street in London.
More mechanical engineering than electronics even in 1979. All the teaching equipment was well out of date even that long ago. Can't remember seeing another Hollerith punch card machine after that.
All those computer languages. (EEK)
Every computer company had their own when I started and they all wanted theirs to be the one that was universally adopted. I limited myself to my company's machine code and their version of Basic.
Then came CPM, DRDOS and finally MSDOS. All for the new "IBM" PCs.
Then it got boring just changing out boards or full machines.

So - Smilies 101
If you post a reply to this thread by clicking the green reply button you get some smilies to the right of the text window.
If you then click on the [More] (http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/misc.php?do=getsmilies&editorid=vB_Editor_001) button below them another window appears.
I think you have to enable SN to show pop-up windows.
The new window contains all the smilies available and the codes you can enter to show each one.
Right click on the smilie window and you can select print for a permanent record of all the codes.
Or you can click on the highlighted [More] in this post and it'll take you straight to it.

David Wilcockson
23rd May 2008, 16:12
Kris
Many thanks for that, I`m somewhat enlightened now, been wondering for some time where they came from.(Applause)
Regards,
David

JeffM
24th May 2008, 06:08
Thanks Kris for Smilies 101 (Thumb) . Is there a Smilies 202 ? Jeffers, just to help you regain your youth - I started learning Fortran in 1967 on a CDC 3200. I think most laptops now out gun this ancient bit of machinery.:rolleyes: Cheers jeffM

Jeffers
24th May 2008, 10:18
Thanks Kris for Smilies 101 (Thumb) . Is there a Smilies 202 ? Jeffers, just to help you regain your youth - I started learning Fortran in 1967 on a CDC 3200. I think most laptops now out gun this ancient bit of machinery.:rolleyes: Cheers jeffM

I think that makes me feel a bit better, I was still at school then, I didn't leave until '68.

Just a minute! That'll be 40 years ago now! I feel old again! LOL!(Jester)