john lynch

Kevinlynch
28th May 2008, 17:57
hello everyone ,Iam trying to find out more about my fathers Naval career.he had several postings,mainly on minesweepers,i think,including Sapphire,Europa,Orlando, Marshall Sault Fortitude ,And also H.M.S.Bute.on which he was commended for bravery after an incident involving a floating mine on15th jan 1946.He joined the Royal Navy in 1943 Transfering from the Merchant Navy.His full name was John Joseph Lynch,But was more likely known as "Jack"His port division was Lowestoft ,And his R.N.No was KX160734.After leaving the Navy he married my mother and they lived in Ipswich ,Suffolk.I woul appreciate any information about him or even someone who perhaps sailed with him.With Best Wishes,Kevin Lynch.

K urgess
28th May 2008, 18:29
Welcome aboard from East Yorkshire, Kevin.
I'm sure someone in the crew will be able to point you in the right direction.
Meanwhile find your way around the ship and enjoy the voyage.

Bruce Carson
28th May 2008, 20:09
From Michigan, a warm welcome to Ships Nostalgia, Kevin.
Good to have you onboard.
Almost certainly our Naval men will fill many of the details for you.

Bruce

non descript
28th May 2008, 20:49
Kevin, a warm welcome to you. Thank you for joining the community and you will find plenty of Grey Funnel Folk on here: enjoy the site and all it has to offer, and we very much look forward to your postings in due course. Bon Voyage.

ian d.cameron
28th May 2008, 23:01
Canít find anything on him, but hereís a photo of the Bute to start you off
http://riverseainternational.co.uk/goole/bute.htm

Steve Woodward
28th May 2008, 23:58
Kevin,
Welcome to SN from Suffolk, you have one of your fathers ships marked down as the Marshall Sault Fortitude, I think this may be two ships Fortitude and the Marshall Soult - she was a Marshall Ney class monitor.
These ungainly looking ships were designed for bombarding shore positions, although not very big at 355 feet long and just under 7,000 tons she mounted a single gun turret with two 15" Mk1 guns - the same as the Queen Elizabeth and Revenge classes of battleships. In fact the guns were originally intended for the two cancelled ships of the Revenge class : Resistance and Repulse, these two ships were to have mounted eight of the guns, but were cancelled and re-ordered as the two battle-cruisers of the Renown class, Renown and Repulse which or course mounted six guns, this left two turrets and four guns.
These guns were fitted in the two Ney class ships, Marshall Ney and the Marshall Soult.
Details of the Soult : Built by Palmers on the Tyne 1914-5, L 355 B90 Draft 10'06" - shallow to allow the ship to get close in to the shore if needed so as increase the gun range in land Dispt a little under 7,000 tons
machinery : twin screws powered by two 750 BHP vickers diesel engines : contract speed 9 knots, but in reality 6 knots ( these were the slowest ships in the RN).
Armament a single Mk1 turret with tow Mk 15" C45 guns - these fired a 1,920 pound shell to about 24,000 yards using about 430lbs of cordite, 100 rounds per gun were carried - mainly HE
They also carried eight single 4" anbd two 12 pounder guns.
In 1940 she had her guns removed and installed in a new ship, the Monitor Abercrombie, and then became a depot ship at Portsmouth for the minesweepers ( trawlers), in 1946 she was scrapped
Steve

Peter4447
29th May 2008, 00:09
'Sapphire' appears to have been a purchased Trawler used for Anti-Submarine work. 608 tons built 1935 and purchased that year by the RN. Pennant No T27. Sold mercantile in 1946 she was renamed 'Dunsby' then 'Findus 1' in 1953 and 'Skaidi' in 1954. No further details.
'Orlando' was a Gunnery shore base at Greenock.
Peter(Smoke)

gdynia
29th May 2008, 02:28
Welcome onboard to SN and enjoy the voyage

Kevinlynch
29th May 2008, 16:24
Canít find anything on him, but hereís a photo of the Bute to start you off
http://riverseainternational.co.uk/goole/bute.htm

many thanks fo pic,have just printed it off for framing.I could find a couple of the "isles" class on the net,but not Bute.once again many thanks. Kevin.

Kevinlynch
29th May 2008, 16:29
'Sapphire' appears to have been a purchased Trawler used for Anti-Submarine work. 608 tons built 1935 and purchased that year by the RN. Pennant No T27. Sold mercantile in 1946 she was renamed 'Dunsby' then 'Findus 1' in 1953 and 'Skaidi' in 1954. No further details.
'Orlando' was a Gunnery shore base at Greenock.
Peter(Smoke)

Many thanks for information Peter,would love a picture if you find one,With best Wishes Kevin

Kevinlynch
29th May 2008, 19:06
many thanks for info,you are right,i missed out a comma between marshall sault and fortitude. Sorry! but i don`t understand your last quote about "loyalty and money" I must be a bit thick.Best Wishes anyway,Kevin.

Kevinlynch
29th May 2008, 19:21
many thanks for information,you are right i missed out a comma between marshall sault and fortitude. Sorry!But i don`t understand your last quote about "money and loyalty" I must be a bit thick? But thanks anyway,With best wishes Kevin Lynch.

Kevinlynch
29th May 2008, 19:34
Kevin,
Welcome to SN from Suffolk, you have one of your fathers ships marked down as the Marshall Sault Fortitude, I think this may be two ships Fortitiude and the Marshall Soult - she was a Marshall Ney class monitor.
These ungainly looking ships were designed for bombarding shore positions, although not very big at 355 feet long and just under 7,000 tons she mounted a single gun turret with two 15" Mk1 guns - the same as the Queen Elizabeth and Revenge classes of battleships. In fact the guns were originally intended for the two cancelled ships of the Revenge class : Resistance and Repulse, these two ships were to have mounted eight of the guns, but were cancelled and re-ordered as the two battle-cruisers of the Renown class, Renown and Repulse which or course mounted six guns, this left two turrets and four guns.
These guns were fitted in the two Ney class ships, Marshall Ney and the Marshall Soult.
Details of the Soult : Built by Palmers on the Tyne 1914-5, L 355 B90 Draft 10'06" - shallow to allow the ship to get close in to the shore if needed so as increase the gun range in land Disp a little uner 7,000 tons
machinery : twin screws powered by two 750 BHP vickers diesel engines : contract speed 9 knots in reality 6 knots ( these were the slowest ships in the RN).
Armamnet a single Mk1 turret with tow Mk 15" C45 guns - these fired a 1,920 pound shell to about 24,000 yards using about 430lbs of cordite, 100 rounds per gun were carried - mainly HE
They also carried eight single 4" anbd two 12 pounder guns.
In 1940 she had her guns removed and installed in a new ship, the Monitor Abercrombie, and then became a depot ship at Portsmouth for the minesweepers ( trawlers), in 1946 she was scrapped
Steve

Many thanks for the information Steve,you are right i missed out a comma between Marshall Sault and Fortitude. Don`t understand your last quote about "money and loyalty" I must be a bit thick? Anyway thanks again ,With Best Wishes ,Kevin Lynch.

Steve Woodward
29th May 2008, 21:20
Hi Kevin - the last quote is My signature, you can enter this in your profile and it appears on all of your posts
My signature comes from the T shirt which forms part of our 'crew uniform' on our boat - the one in my avatar - the T shirt shows a mangy black cat with the words : I work for money, If you want loyalty get a dog!
Rgds
Steve

benjidog
29th May 2008, 23:00
Welcome from Lancashire.

I hope you will enjoy the site.

Regards,

Brian

Kevinlynch
30th May 2008, 13:04
Hi Kevin - the last quote is My signature, you can enter this in your profile and it appears on all of your posts
My signature comes from the T shirt which forms part of our 'crew uniform' on our boat - the one in my avatar - the T shirt shows a mangy black cat with the words : I work for money, If you want loyalty get a dog!
Rgds
Steve

Sorry Steve,I said i was thick,still "the new boy"finding my way around the forumAll the Best Kevin.

Kevinlynch
11th September 2008, 19:53
Rgds
Steve

Hi Steve,just noticed that you come from suffolk,we live in hadleigh,just outside ipswich.anywhere near you?.its a small world is`nt it.All the Best.Kevin. LYNCH.(K)