Introducing myself

Tom Carreyette
28th May 2008, 23:39
Hello all

I just stumbled across the site while I was looking for Miramar - Google took me via here. I thought I may as well register. I have heard of Ship's Nostalgia before, so now I'll look in from time to time.

I started watching ships as a boy on the Mersey mid 60s to mid 70s before moving to the Clyde and worked at Scott Lithgow (Scotts' Cartsburn Yard, Greenock) until mid 80s. Then on to Glasgow doing marine consultancy - right now I'm part time with BAE Systems.

I still like the old classic cargo ships best and a lot of the smaller working craft, especially if they have a bit of history. But seeing just about anything maritime on the move can be interesting and travelling by sea when possible.

Catch up with you later.

Tom

K urgess
28th May 2008, 23:44
Welcome aboard from East Yorkshire, Tom.
Plenty aboard this ship to keep you interested and plenty of shipping enthusiasts among the crew.
Enjoy the voyage.

non descript
28th May 2008, 23:53
Tom, a warm welcome to you. Thank you for joining the community and you I wonder if you saw or worked on the Cumbria when she was built at Scotts in 1971? - Enjoy the site and all it has to offer, and we very much look forward to your postings in due course. Bon Voyage.

tridentport
28th May 2008, 23:55
Good to have you on board Tom. No doubt you will see some familiar names and find much to entertain. Regards, Alan (Belfast).

Freebird
29th May 2008, 00:49
Hi I was given the site address from a friend as I just love boats, I have never worked on one but I had a small 16 foot coble when I lived up north. I am from North Shields Tyne & Wear but live in Birmingham now (no where for a coble) lol I have just became a member of a RC Boat club and now have a 32 inch Trawler. I look ofrward to looking round the site and seeing some of the boats from my child hood I hope lol

Paul ...................................

gdynia
29th May 2008, 01:27
Welcome onboard to SN and enjoy the voyage

R58484956
29th May 2008, 15:23
Greetings Tom and welcome to SN. Bon voyage.

Frank P
29th May 2008, 19:18
Welcome onboard Tom, enjoy the site.

Cheers Frank

James_C
29th May 2008, 19:44
Welcome Tom, you'll find there's a few Clydesiters on here!

Bruce Carson
29th May 2008, 19:58
From Michigan, a warm welcome to Ships Nostalgia, Tom.
Make yourself at home and join in our discussions at any time.

Bruce

benjidog
29th May 2008, 21:58
Welcome from Lancashire.

I hope you will enjoy the site.

Regards,

Brian

Tom Carreyette
31st May 2008, 10:22
According to company records CUMBRIA (Ship No. 720) left Scotts' 29/6/71 when she was handed over to Hadley Shipping. My employment there didn't actually start until June 1974, when they put me initially in the Scott Lithgow Training Centre (recently demolished, on the river side of James Watt Dock, Greenock). So she was already away. I started at Strathclyde Uni that September, then in my summer vacation 1975 I was located at Scotts' Cartsburn yard itself, working my way through different trades as general experience. We were called Student Apprentices, 12 of us all studying Naval Architecture. Some were at Glasgow Uni. We were also split between Scotts' and Lithgows.

When I started in the yard 1975 Indian products tanker JAG PRIYA (740) was in our fitting out basin (though built next door at Cartsdyke). MOD Underwater Research Vessel NEWTON (739) was still on the slipway, Fleet Replenishment Ship FORT GRANGE (737) was under construction, FORT AUSTIN (738) not yet started - just pile of plates and sections in the stockyard. Chilean Oberon submarines O'BRIEN (730) and HYATT (731) were not yet delivered. Likewise the Australian pair ORION (734) in the basin and OTAMA (735) still on the launch ways. And all that was just the Cartsburn yard. It was a busy time!

Is this the right forum for this? (This was meant to be a response to Tonga).

Tom

GWB
31st May 2008, 11:32
Welcome aboard from Aussie Tom, enjoy the trip

GWB

non descript
31st May 2008, 19:22
According to company records CUMBRIA (Ship No. 720) left Scotts' 29/6/71 when she was handed over to Hadley Shipping. My employment there didn't actually start until June 1974, when they put me initially in the Scott Lithgow Training Centre (recently demolished, on the river side of James Watt Dock, Greenock). So she was already away.

Is this the right forum for this? (This was meant to be a response to Tonga).

Tom

Thanks Tom and it's a perfect place for the reply – there are no rules, (except the one that says “enjoy the site”). – She was ordered (by Greeks) 20-06-69. She was launched on 14th May 1971 by Iona Warwick, the very young daughter of the then MD of Hadleys, Mr PJ Warwick; due to the fact that you were not on duty she did not initially move down the slipway and needed a push from Iona and her brother to get her moving…(Jester)
(Thumb)
Mark

Semaj
31st May 2008, 20:35
Welcome to the site Tom, hope you enjoy it as much as I do. I love the River Clyde and hate seeing it going the way it is. Houses & Bridges look nice but Ships are what we need. Long may BAE Systems succeed.

Jim.