Wave Baron and Chief Search

bathgate
29th May 2008, 03:35
(A) Hi. Any xRFA members from the 1960s who may have photos of the Wave baron or Wave Chief in their pessession, I would like to hear from you. I have gone through the gallery but there is not enough variety of these vessels and downloading through the printer does not produce the quality I need. Onky to happy to pay for suitable pics.
George Bingham

OLD STRAWBERRY
29th May 2008, 10:02
Try Old Steamship pictures photos.
www.photoship.co.uk
Tony.

Anubis
30th May 2008, 18:03
The Wave Baron was used as a fuelling hulk in the Maldives during the 60s. A RFA Third Engineer and a group of locals would fuel her from visiting RFA oilers and then fuel naval warships from her.
When the RFA Oleander was on it's first far east trip in 1967 it had a lot of problems with the MEM isolators that switched the 10" signalling projectors. While the Oleander was fuelling the Wave Baron I managed to sneak aboard her and removed the switch/isolators from the bridge of the elderly tanker.
They were much more robust than the ones that the Oleander had been fitted with, and after a good cleaning were fitted to the Oleander where that performed perfectly for the rest of the trip.

Lancastrian
30th May 2008, 20:27
Have a look at http://www.rfaaplymouth.org/GGMwaves.htm
If anything takes your fancy, I may be able to find some higher resolution copies.
Anubis, you have the wrong ship. Wave Boats at Gan were Wave Victor followed by Wave Ruler.

holland25
30th May 2008, 21:33
In 1973 as we landed in the Seychelles I saw what looked like an RFA Wave boat anchored there. I only saw it from the air but it looked as though it wasnt fully operational. I have often wondered what it was doing there, was it likely to be a hulk or was it just visiting?

George.GM
31st May 2008, 18:29
As far as I can gather from various publications the only Wave boat around in 1973 was Wave Chief - she was "sold" in 1975.
She may have been in the Seychelles in 1973.

King Ratt
31st May 2008, 19:35
George
I was in Wave Chief 17 Jan 74 to 11 Jun 74 with Capt David Campbell. She did a voyage down to the Falklands to top up the Admiralty tanks down there and roulement of NP 8901, returning via Rio de Janeiro. Back in home waters she did a little operation with the American MSC. Reckon she went to the scrap after 1974.

frank earl
2nd June 2008, 00:25
This is Wave Baron.I sailed in her until 19/12/59,and Wave Prince from Jan to April 1960.Pic is what I looked like in 1960.Frank Earl.

frank earl
2nd June 2008, 00:43
Here is one of Wave Knight.