old Irish ferries

Eric Norris
14th June 2005, 13:05
Hello folks
I am a retired sports journalist with a particular interest in liners, cruise ships and ferries. I am a regular cruiser mainly with P&O, and am also interested in ferries. When I left school in 1955 it was a toss up whether I took up a career in the Merchant Navy or became a reporter. I took the second option.
Now retired I am trying to catch up on my shipping interest and experiences.
I sailed as a baby and young child during the war on the LMS ferries from Hollyhead to Dun Loghaire (then called Kingstown). I would dearly like to know the names of my first ships which served that route from 1939 to the days when Cambria and Hibernia took over after the war. Be glad to hear from you on any of my interests.

Marcus Cardew
14th June 2005, 13:57
Hi Eric,
The only one I sailed on was the 'Vickers Voyager', which I gathered, in her previous life had been a Cattle Carrier,the 'Meath'. The steering gear made a lovely 'lowing' sound down aft, which we explained to (first trippers!), as being the ghosts of all the cows that had perished aboard......

fred henderson
14th June 2005, 17:50
In 1914, the old London & North Western Railway ordered four 3,400 ton, 24 knot ferries from Denny to challenge the City of Dublin S P Co for the mail contract. The war upset these plans, but they were eventually delivered as Anglia (1920), Hibernia (1920) Cambria (1921) and Scotia (1921). The L&NWR was granted the mail contract in 1920. In 1923 the LMS was formed and took over the ships and the service. The new company decided that only three ships were needed and the Anglia was laid-up as a reserve ship and scrapped in 1935.
The Hibernia and Cambria survived WW II, but the Scotia was bombed and sunk at Dunkirk with the loss of 32 crew and about 300 French Troops. She went down before a list of passengers had been compiled.
The two remaining ships were renamed Hibernia II and Cambria II to allow the 1949 built ships to adopt their original names. The ships with names starting with the word "Slieve" were all cattle and cargo carriers.
I hope this helps.

Eric Norris
14th June 2005, 18:06
Quick work and just the answer I was looking for. Will be in touch - Eric

Eric Norris
14th June 2005, 18:11
By 1952 it was British Railways and in the Directory of Shipowners. etc. for 1952 the following vessels are listed on the Holyhead service, hope it helps;
CAMBRIA built 1949; HIBERNIA built 1949; PRINCESS MAUD built 1934; SLIEVE BAWN built 1937; SLIEVE BLOOM built 1930; SLIEVE DONARD built 1921; SLIEVE LEAGUE built 1935; SLIEVE MORE built 1932 and a dredger named; PICK ME UP built 1902
Many thanks. I sailed on Cambria and Hibernia as well as Princess Maude. And I have now been informed that the previous ships during the war carried the same names - Eric

ierland
12th September 2005, 21:26
Hi, I was wondering if anybody would have a picture of the Princess Maude that I could use on my site about Ireland?

Charles compass
15th September 2005, 21:58
I HAve an image of the Princess Margeret will scan it for you if its any good
Chas Compass