My Old Man & Ben Line

jeebreewally
30th May 2008, 13:39
Hello everybody, my old man sailed with the Ben Line between 1952 & 1966 his name was William(Bill) Whyte from Aberdeen his first Benboat was the Benlawers in 1952 it was also the last Benboat that he sailed on in 1966, in between he also sailed on another 16!! Benboats(does the British MN Fleet contain 16 ships now!!!), anyway i was wondering if anybody knew of him or sailed with him, any tales to tell no matter what the subject would be greatly appreciated.
He finished his seafaring life as bosun on the St Magnus : P&O Scottish Ferries .
I myself sailed on the last 4 trips of the Benarty(great ship,great crew,great times) & the Grey Warrior.

R58484956
30th May 2008, 14:18
Greetings JBW and welcome to SN. Plenty of ex Ben lads on board. Bon voyage.

ALLANREID
18th June 2008, 00:23
I did many years with Ben Line on their cargo/tanker & bulkers `n after a while with Salvesens did a spell on the old cattle boat the St Magnus but the bosun on it was `little` Davie Pirie ( I heard he died in his cabin on an anchor `cranker`......he did have a `fast` life style !? )
I spent many a `cracking weekend` up in Kirkwall bay.(Thumb)
Sorry but the name doesn`t ring a bell.....better with faces !!

ukip2001
27th March 2010, 19:07
I joined Benlawers in August 1966. I remenber the bosun being of stocky build not that tall ,Cant remenber names though. Was he on the ship at that time .He would have remembered the collision in Hong Kong harbour.

EBenarty
28th March 2010, 20:01
Hello everybody, my old man sailed with the Ben Line between 1952 & 1966 his name was William(Bill) Whyte from Aberdeen his first Benboat was the Benlawers in 1952 it was also the last Benboat that he sailed on in 1966, in between he also sailed on another 16!! Benboats(does the British MN Fleet contain 16 ships now!!!), anyway i was wondering if anybody knew of him or sailed with him, any tales to tell no matter what the subject would be greatly appreciated.
He finished his seafaring life as bosun on the St Magnus : P&O Scottish Ferries .
I myself sailed on the last 4 trips of the Benarty(great ship,great crew,great times) & the Grey Warrior.

I never came across Bill in Ben Line but I met him when he was on the Magnus. That was in the Queens Bar in Kirkwall. He was a jovial fun loving man and a pleasure to meet.

Mike Fothergill
4th November 2011, 22:08

I sailed with a Bill Whyte on the "Benavon" (built 1949) whilst a Cadet.
He was the Bosun, (and don't you forget it!), - I must have done about 4 voyages with him, becoming very good shipmates. We used to play Chess in the evenings at times. Without doubt he assisted me in forming my early experiences & knowledge. I do have a Photo of him & me which if this is he, I will post if your interested. He left the 'Avon' to go to a new ship with Capt. Copeman - would be about 1954 or therabouts. I now live in British Columbia, Canada & am a semi retired Marine Surveyor. Hope to hear from you. Rgds., Mike Fothergill