Hello

Mahound
30th May 2008, 23:49
Found this forum by accident and i think that it may help me.

My Dad, Jim Ward (Ossie) was an Australian who came over during the war, he met my mother and settled in this country. Sadly he died several years ago, recently i was going through some of his things and i wanted to try and find out a bit more.
During the war he was on the Russian Convoys and was sunk twice,

Strange coincidence is that 1 navy ship that picked him up had my mothers fiancee on it, after my dad was tranfered to another ship from the navy one , that navy ship was sunk by a u boat and my mothers fiancee was killed
He ended up working on the Colliers that went down to London from the North East.

He finished with the sea i 1972 when he was painting a mast, the mast snapped, he broke his back, his legs, one of his arms and had a broken skull. He was flown off the ship by helicopter (they were off the ipswich coast and he was flown to a hospital in Braintree essex, he was in there for about 12 months, then he was transferred to a rehabilitation center in Chester-Le-Street (the Hermitage) in County Durham, He was in there for about 18 months, after that he never worked again.

He sailed on several ships during his time, most were owned by Stephenson Clarks, who did work for the electricty board.
I can remenber 2 of them, as when i was young he took me down to London on them, strictly against the rules i would think.
The Ones i do remember were the "Brimsdown" and the "Blackwall Point".
Some people i know he knew well, were Jimmy "NiKKI" Nicols and Jimmy Slater ( ex president of the seamans union)
I would be obliged if any one can tell me about the colliers and the ships that plied the north sea

Cheers

Jim Ward

K urgess
30th May 2008, 23:57
Welcome aboard from northern England, Jim.
Nice introduction.
I'm sure someone in the crew will be able to help.
Meanwhile find your way around the ship and enjoy the voyage.

benjidog
31st May 2008, 00:25
Welcome from Lancashire.

I hope you will enjoy the site.

Regards,

Brian

gdynia
31st May 2008, 02:19
Welcome onboard to SN and enjoy the voyage

ian d.cameron
31st May 2008, 10:38
Good morning Jim. Hope this starts you off
Brimsdown
http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=7698
http://www.miramarshipindex.org.nz/ship/show/99414
Blackwell Point
http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/search.php?searchid=130534

GWB
31st May 2008, 12:41
WElcome from Aussie enjoy the trip
GWB

Bruce Carson
31st May 2008, 14:04
Jim, from Michigan, a warm welcome to Ships Nostalgia.
I think you'll find much of interest here--it's good to see that our crew is working on your queries and digging out answers for you.

Bruce

R58484956
31st May 2008, 17:46
Welcome Jim to SN. A sad story about dad. But enjoy the site and bon voyage.

Mahound
31st May 2008, 23:04
Many thanks for the very quick replies, The Brimsdown was just as i remembered, great to see the picture. On seing it i remember when i was on it with my dad and he let me help, (probably not a lot though as i was only 12) to fold the funnel down when we went under the Newcatle Bridge when the ship was leaving from Dunston Staithes.
The Blackwall point- good to see that too, though did that not have a fold down funnel too.

Many thanks for the help you have all given me, Much appreciated, Took me right back, good memories.
lol

Jim Ward