Greetings from an Ex Reardon Smith/Furness Withy Sparks

garwatts
31st May 2008, 09:23
Hi I found details of this site in an article in the RSL Newsletter.
It has brought back many memories seeing past shipmates mentioned here, characters like Dogsy Dyson Master of the gas tanker the Faraday (brilliant bloke). I still remember the bar-b-que we had onboard (yes on a gas tanker! the crews were mad) , also the cheese and wine parties with 50 bottles of wine and 1/2lb of cheddar! Anyone remember Gary White (British)?

I was an R/O with Reardon Smiths from about 1973 till 1979 then with Furness Withy from 1979 till 1981. (Beware my memory is not good any more)
Some ships sailed on were the Port Alberni City, Tacoma City, Prince Rupert City, Fresno City, Welsh City, Cardiff City, Sara Lupe, Maria Eliza with RSL and then the Clymene (slow boat to Canada!), Canandian Explorer (box boat), The Faraday (I still haven't received the bravery medal yet:-)), and lastly the Beacon Grange.

Regards

Garry

non descript
31st May 2008, 10:09
Garry, a warm welcome to you. Thank you for joining the community: enjoy the site and all it has to offer, and we very much look forward to your postings in due course. Bon Voyage.

Bruce Carson
31st May 2008, 13:10
Garry, a warm welcome to Ships Nostalgia--good to have you onboard.
You should find much of interest to you here--we're fortunate to have many ex R/Os as members and also men who sailed with Reardon Smith and Furness.

Bruce

K urgess
31st May 2008, 14:58
Welcome aboard from East Yorkshire, Garry.
Plenty of us in the crew and we have our own radio room.
No watches, no maintenance just good nostalgia and QSOs.
Find your way around the ship, join in and enjoy the trip.

R58484956
31st May 2008, 16:36
Greetings Gary and a warm welcome to SN, plenty of ex R/O's on board. Bon voyage.

CAPILANO
31st May 2008, 17:28
Hi Garry
The only two RSL vessels I was not Master of was Fresno and P.Rupert. We will have to put some dates together as I'm sure we must have crossed paths at some time.
Regards
Joihn Cann

benjidog
31st May 2008, 20:59
Welcome from Lancashire.

I hope you will enjoy the site.

Regards,

Brian