P & O

leggoaft
31st May 2008, 16:45
Guess I am really too old to be in this P&O site My first ship with the Company was the S/S MOOLTAN in Dec. 1944 !!!!!! Then came Ranchi. Chitral, Corfu & quite a few more Happy Days but no shipmates left

Best Wishes to you all
Will

James_C
31st May 2008, 18:48
Will,
Were you on the Mooltan in late spring/early summer 45?

KIWI
6th June 2008, 09:58
Have to agree with you.My first ship was Maloja 1950 but P&O posts of that era are relatively few.Where you by chance on the Chitral with Ken Fitzpatrick electrician?Kiwi

Hugh Ferguson
6th June 2008, 10:08
One of my long time friends is a Dr Bobby Melhuish whose first job, as a newly qualified medico, was crew doctor in the Strathnaver 1943. He lives in Dover.

Hugh Ferguson
7th June 2008, 20:26
Guess I am really too old to be in this P&O site My first ship with the Company was the S/S MOOLTAN in Dec. 1944 !!!!!! Then came Ranchi. Chitral, Corfu & quite a few more Happy Days but no shipmates left

Best Wishes to you all
Will

I've just had a long chat with Dr Bobby Melhuish, and he told me that before he joined the Strathnaver he had been 2 years in the Mooltan also as crew doctor. He must have met (and treated) a lot of P&O crew in that time-I forgot to ask him if they were mostly lascar. If anyone ever knew him I can put you in touch. Hugh.

Boseley
18th August 2008, 21:37
No no you are not too old!! in 1944 I was one year old, but I also sailed on the Corfu,

Bob

duncgrant
25th November 2009, 12:07
In about 1948 I boarded the Mooltan in London's KGV but access was restricted due to an outbreak of Smallpox - Anyone remember that incident?

KIWI
11th December 2009, 23:40
Followed you seven years later on Maloja,Stratheden,Somali & Palana.Oh for the modern video camera in those days in particular to film those huge "up & downers"on the Maloja.It is remarkable how little there is on site concerning P&O considering the size of the company & large number of personel.Pompey fan being a most interesting exception. KIWI

R58484956
12th December 2009, 09:55
I also sailed P&O, Canton and Iberia.

bobw
13th December 2009, 04:30
Some good old ships named in this thread. Those were the days.
I see another of P&O's old clunkers has been dumped on the Australian cruise market. Such a fanfare in Sydney yesterday with the Governor-General no less to break a bottle of champagne and name the vessel Pacific Jewel with the traditional words followed by lots of celebration.
I don't think Pacific Jewel and her sisters are particularly good looking either with that odd bridge structure and a funnel that seems an afterthought.
Whatever happened to good ship design? I suppose they are now built only with the "bottom line" in mind.

R396040
13th December 2009, 18:42

Best Wishes to you all
Will

I sailed on Maloja in early 5os on the Aussie 10 immigrants run out of London KGV or maybe Albert Dk. One trip was enough...
Stuart

KIWI
6th January 2010, 08:02
The immigrants outward bound could be a bit of a pain.Britain still had rationing but there were more complaints about the food & other aspects of shipboard life than homeward bound when we had paying passengers.It would only be a few but they sure made a fuss at times.Even had one Aussie from Toorak in Melbourne who got permission from the Captain after signing the necessary papers to turn to & day work in the engine room with his mate the 2nd engineer.Was given a wine account & took part in the chota peg sessions. KIWI

Dulcibella
8th February 2010, 21:44
I was not sea staff but shore staff working for the Company's Managing Agents - Macdonald, Hamilton & Co, in the Melbourne Office. I was there from October 1954 to February 1962.

The ships I particularly remember going aboard, many times, were the four remaining Straths, Iberia, Arcadia (great ship), Himalaya, and of course Canberra. I was the third person to board Canberra upon her arrival in Melbourne on her Maiden Voyage. The pilot was the first - outside Port Philip Heads, the Senior Customs Boarding Officer from HMA Customs in Melbourne was second, and myself - an Office junior - carrying all the crew and passenger's mail - third. The SCBO and myself boarded her from the Customs launch, climbing up the Jacobs Ladder, off the town of Frankston. (Canberra was running a bit late, and though it was a warmish day, there was quite a lot of fog in Port Philip Bay) so we proceeded further down the bay than was usual.

I later sailed aboard Himalaya, Strathnaver on her final voyage) and Arcadia, then latterly aboard Orsova when she was P&O-Orient Lines of Australia. Regrettably "they don't make ships like that these days".

Dulcibella (Ian)