Hms Kent Any Info?

chrissuich
1st June 2008, 12:06
hI EVERYONE,
I HAVE MY FATHER STAYING WITH ME AT THE MOMENT AND HE IS INTERESTED IN WHAT HAPPENED TO THE hms kENT. His brother was on it during the second world war. He was called Harold Morley and he was ERA when he was on the Kent.
Any information will be great
Thanks Chris

ian d.cameron
1st June 2008, 12:58
Built by Chatham Dockyard. Laid Down 15th November 1924.
Launched 16th March 1926. Completed 25th June 1928.
Paid off 1946. In reserve 1946-1947.
Broken up by West of Scotland Shipbreaking, Troon, 1948.
http://home.swipnet.se/~w-11578/ship_photos/county_class/kent/kent.jpg
http://www.photoship.co.uk/JAlbum%20Ships/Old%20Ships%20K/slides/Kent-05.html

K urgess
1st June 2008, 12:59
Welcome aboard from East Yorkshire, Chris.
I see someone in the crew has been able to help.
Meanwhile find your way around the ship and a search may give you some answers.
Enjoy the voyage.

benjidog
1st June 2008, 14:03
Welcome (http://trampics.fotopic.net/p50862468.html) from Lancashire.

I hope you and your father enjoy the site.

Regards,

Brian

Steve Woodward
1st June 2008, 20:42
Chris - welcome to SN from Suffolk, enjoy your time with us, hopefully our wide membership will be of some help

I have always found the Kent class heavy cruisers most attractive ships, although they were referred to as the 'County class' they were three distinct classes of ship all bunched together in the Counties, the Kent class appeared first : Kent, Ausatralia, Berwick, Canberra, Cornwall, Cumberland and Suffolk, following these were the London class : London, Devonshire, Shropshire and Sussex and final the Two ships of the Dorsetshire class - Dorsetshire and Norfolk.
All the ships were very similar having the same Long Narrow hull with a high freeboard which gave the ships excellent characteristics in a heavy sea and good habitability to their crews - which explains there popularity. The design sprang from the 1923 Washington naval arms limitation treaty which fixed the maximum size of a heavy cruiser as having a max displacement of 10,000 tons, Britain and the USA followed to the letter and other navies merely paid lip service too, hence why these ships were given poor reviews which in reality they did not deserve.
The Kents were the smallest of the counties at 590' long ( the Londons and Dorsetshires were 595') Beam was 68 feet - 2 feet wider than the later ships due to the Kent class having external anti-torpedo bulges. Draft was more or less the same at 21'06" full load which equated to a standard displacement of 9,800 tons - 200 under the max limit, full load displacement was about 13,600 tons, standard displacement bwing a ship ready and armed to go with water in her systems but no additional stored water or fuel full load being max fuel/water stores/crew etc.
All the classes feautured four propellers driven by four sets of Parsons Geared steam turbines developing 80,000 SHP and giving 31.5 knots and 32.5 knots at overload, the classes all had a good bunker capacity of a little over 3,400 tons which gave them the prodigious range of just over 13,000 miles at 10 knots dropping to just over 3,000 miles at full speed, this range was far and away better than the opposition making the class excellent for long range deployments - just what a cruiser of the RN needed with a far-flung empire to guard.
Armament : all were fitted with eight 8" C50 guns in four twin turrets, the Mk1 turret /Mk8 guns types fitted to the Kents could be elevated to 70 degreees and in theory be used as AA guns but in reality the control systems and the training and elevation were a little too slow for this role and this elevation was dropped in the later classes. Innitialy the AA outfit, like the rest of the RN, was lamentable with just four single 4" C45 Mk5 open mount guns, she also carried two quadruple 2 pounder pompoms, the class also carried two quadruple sets of 21" torpedo tubes - one on either beam, an armament lacking on American heavy cruisers but not their Japanese counterparts.
In 1937 Kent was rebuilt with the rather weak original armour which had been limited to just box protection (4") to the magazines supplemented by a side armour belt 4" thick over the machinery and magazines. the quad 2 pounder guns were replaced with Octuple units - the so called Chicago-pianos. Later two of the 4" single guns were replaced with four twin shielded mounts giving her ten 4", the light AA outfit was also supplemented with three twin and six single 20mm Oerlikons, she could also opertae a single aircraft on a catapult but this was removed in 1942.
In december 1944 Kent collided with a merchant tanker although repaired on the Clyde she remained as a member of the reserve fleet on the Gareloch, in 1946 she went to Chatham staying in the reserve fleet as the flagship, in 1947 she was disarmed and she was used as a trials and target ship, she was placed on the disposal list at the end of 1947 and in January 1948 was sold to BISCO ( British Iron and Steel Company) and allocated by them to Troom ( Arnott and Young I think) were she arrived at the end of January
Steve

joller6
1st June 2008, 23:31
This may be of some interest to your Dad and you.
Cheers
joller6

http://www.bbc.co.uk/ww2peopleswar/categories/c55515/

http://www.battleships-cruisers.co.uk/hms_kent.htm

http://www.naval-history.net/xGM-Chrono-06CA-Kent.htm

http://www.acepilots.com/ships/kent.html

Bruce Carson
2nd June 2008, 04:54
A warm welcome to you and your Father, Chis.
Good to have both of you onboard.
Looks like our members are providing the information wanted.

Bruce

gdynia
2nd June 2008, 06:23
Welcome onboard to SN and enjoy the voyage

Bill Forster
27th December 2012, 18:49
My father, Lt(E) William R Forster, served on HMS VENOMOUS from August 1944 to the end of 1945 but according to the NAVY LIST was posted to HMS KENT at Gareloch on the 10 January 1946. I am writing an account of his life which I plan to publish in 2014 as:

FORTY YEARS AT SEA: A VOYAGE WITH MY FATHER

This sounds like a very dull posting but a big change from an old WW1 vintage V & W Class destroyer.

Instead of being the sole engineering officer he was part of a big team with the Rear Admiral in charge of the Reserve Fleet onboard.

Can anybody tell me more about this period in the history of HMS KENT?

And is there anybody on this Forum who knows somebody who served on KENT in 1946?

I note from an earlier posting that KENT subsequently moved to Chatham before being scrapped - see quote below:

"In december 1944 Kent collided with a merchant tanker although repaired on the Clyde she remained as a member of the reserve fleet on the Gareloch, in 1946 she went to Chatham staying in the reserve fleet as the flagship, in 1947 she was disarmed and she was used as a trials and target ship, she was placed on the disposal list at the end of 1947 and in January 1948 was sold to BISCO ( British Iron and Steel Company) and allocated by them to Troom ( Arnott and Young I think) were she arrived at the end of January."

Bill Forster