Cooks Jobs?

Hazonline
3rd June 2008, 16:50
Hi,

Can anyone tell me how and what qualifications/experience (if any) do you need to become a cook or steward in the merchant navy?

Unfortunately it's probably too late for me to change my technology options at school from graphics to food; but I'm (not bragging ;) a good cook - I can brew a chicken balti with rice and onion bhajis from scratch in 25 minutes.

Thanks,
Haz.

Mick Spear
4th June 2008, 01:57
Not sure if you need qualifications. Though it would probably help you at the application sift. RFA take on Cooks and Stewards and train them from scratch. So if you're interested give them a call.

Mick S

benvorlich
6th June 2008, 10:01
Hi Haz. Cooks Qualifications Cook Ticket part1+2 Elementary Food Hygine Certificate+Food Hygine Intermediate Certificate,Fire Prevention and Firefighting,Personal Survival Techniques,Medical Frist Aid Aboard Ship,Personal Safety Responsibilities,plus some more courses you may require by the company that you may work for I myself have been in the galley for 43 years so I wish you all the luck.
Benvorlich

Mick Spear
7th June 2008, 14:03
Benvorlich is correct in that you need these qualifications. However, there are companies who will take you on and train you enabling you to be issued with some of the above qualifications (mandtory ones) in order to go to sea. Others listed you will acquire over a period of time.

Burned Toast
17th June 2008, 12:12
You can also apply if you have C&Gs 706 1 & 2 or NVQ 2&3 plus the normal stw 95s.

muldonaich
22nd June 2008, 19:22
Hi Haz. Cooks Qualifications Cook Ticket part1+2 Elementary Food Hygine Certificate+Food Hygine Intermediate Certificate,Fire Prevention and Firefighting,Personal Survival Techniques,Medical Frist Aid Aboard Ship,Personal Safety Responsibilities,plus some more courses you may require by the company that you may work for I myself have been in the galley for 43 years so I wish you all the luck.
Benvorlichdont think pat croarkin had any of these letters after his name still the best cook i ever sailed with kev.

Hazonline
4th November 2008, 21:15
cheers guys - really helpful!

will.
9th November 2008, 16:13
Is that the same Pat Croarkin I sailed with on the Stirling Dee ?

Gulpers
9th November 2008, 16:31
There can only have been one Pat Croarkin. (Applause)

Sadly, muldonaich reported in #99 here (http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/showthread.php?t=3476&page=4&highlight=croarkin) that Pat has crossed the bar.

alfiebeckett
2nd May 2009, 10:25
Joining RFA as an assistant cook in September. Regards the cooks course, does anyone out there know if HMS Raleigh has similar academic term times as civvy street. If so perhaps you could share that info with me as wife is twining about not seeing me for 26 weeks.Havent mentioned the mandatory four months at sea yet, being a firm believer in ignorance being bliss and all that!

Richie2012
30th May 2009, 20:00
You should get every weekend off and hms sultan worked like school holidays, 2 weeks for x mas 3 weeks for summer and 2 weeks for easter

John Cassels
31st May 2009, 08:42
dont think pat croarkin had any of these letters after his name still the best cook i ever sailed with kev.

Morning Kevin , yes , I'll second that. Sailed with Pat on many occasions
and he was a great cook and , as you say , without all the bull***t.
He also had his own "personal survival techniques "though not the ones
issued by the DOT.