James/Jim Nicholson

Terri75
4th June 2008, 15:25
Hi to all

I was wondering if you could help me I am trying to trace stories etc on my grandad James/Jim Nicholson, unfortunately he died 8 years before I was born, so I never got the chance to meet him. My mum and my uncle were very young when he died so there is not much information about his merchant navy career. I do know that he was on the following Ben Line boats - Bencruachan, Benlawers, Benwyvis, and Benalder. I also know of another 2 relatives who was in the merchant navy but I am unsure of which boats they was on their names are Ronnie Coutts and Ronald Williamson who James was related to through marriage. Anything would be very much appreciated to help me gain some knowledge of my grandad.

Thank you very much in advance for information

T xx

Sister Eleff
4th June 2008, 16:31
Hi Terri, welcome to the site from Australia. It might help people to know what era your Granddad was sailing in.

Terri75
4th June 2008, 17:43
Thank you for the reply Sister Eleff.

I know that he would have been at sea from 1946 to round about 1965/66.

T xx

Terri75
4th June 2008, 21:46
I have just been talking with my mum and have the following information.

He was born in December 1932 in Aberdeen and started his career at sea when he left school in 1946. He worked right up till 1967. He passed away the year after when he was 36.

I know that he worked his way right up to be 1st officer, he also took his captains exam and passed and if he had continued his career at sea he would have been one of the youngest captains at that time.

Hope this added info helps

T xx

Roddy Munro
4th June 2008, 22:47
Welcome Terri75
Did Ronald(Ronnie) Williamson come from the Aberdeen area?

Terri75
5th June 2008, 08:42
Hi Roddy

Yes Ronald Williamson was born and bred in Aberdeen, he is my great-uncle.

T xx

Tom S
5th June 2008, 09:53
Hi to all

I was wondering if you could help me I am trying to trace stories etc on my grandad James/Jim Nicholson, unfortunately he died 8 years before I was born, so I never got the chance to meet him. My mum and my uncle were very young when he died so there is not much information about his merchant navy career. I do know that he was on the following Ben Line boats - Bencruachan, Benlawers, Benwyvis, and Benalder. I also know of another 2 relatives who was in the merchant navy but I am unsure of which boats they was on their names are Ronnie Coutts and Ronald Williamson who James was related to through marriage. Anything would be very much appreciated to help me gain some knowledge of my grandad.

Thank you very much in advance for information

T xx
Hi Terri 75
I sailed with a Jim Nicholson in Ben Line during the early sixties he was First Officer if i am correct he left to join the Prison Service,I know he died quite young. One thing I do remember was that during the time somebody sold contaminated Corned Beef in Aberdeen his family were quite ill,it affected a lot of people in Aberdeen at the time.Could this be your Grandfather?
TomS

Terri75
5th June 2008, 14:43
Tom

I am pleased to say that this is my grandad you are mentioning (Thumb). I have just spoken to my mum and she was telling me all about the corned beef/typhoid outbreak where Aberdeen was in a really bad shape with it.

He apparently was going to join the prison service but never got there.

I would be grateful of any information you have or stories etc.

Thanks for getting in touch.

T xx

Roddy Munro
6th June 2008, 18:13
Hi Terri 75
If it's the same Ronnie Williamson,I think we sailed together early 60s on Benalder or Benmacduie.Maybe he remembers me,maybe not.I will relate a story he might recall.We were both on the 12-4 watch,it was Xmas morning and we were homeward in the Bay of Biscay and hit severe weather.When we came below at 4am both ovens in the galley had burst open and the Turkeys were floating about in six inches of water.Not a pretty sight (Cloud)Think we had sannies for dinner that day!!

Terri75
6th June 2008, 18:26
Hi Roddy

Thank you for replying, I will get my gran to ask him the next time she talks to him because she talks a lot with him as he has recently been unwell.

I give give you a few details about him that maybe will let you know if it is definately him. He has a brother and 3 sisters he is married to Margaret.

T x