James/Jim Nicholson - Brandon Priory

Terri75
4th June 2008, 15:27
Hi to all

I was wondering if you could help me I am trying to trace stories etc on my grandad James/Jim Nicholson, unfortunately he died 8 years before I was born, so I never got the chance to meet him. My mum and my uncle were very young when he died so there is not much information about his merchant navy career. I do know that he was on the Brandon Priory. I also know of another 2 relatives who was in the merchant navy but I am unsure of which boats they was on their names are Ronnie Coutts and Ronald Williamson who James was related to through marriage. Anything would be very much appreciated to help me gain some knowledge of my grandad.

Thank you very much in

Bombersman
4th June 2008, 20:22
I don't want to build up your hopes Terri75, but I seem to remember my good friend Albert Scurr talking about a junior engineer he had on the Brandon Priory called Jimmy Nichols or Nicholson. Like you, was he from Scotland? Also do you know whether or not he was an engineer? The man Ali talked about must have been in his twenties in 1963 or thereabouts. I would have been twenty three then and my oldest grandson is eighteen, so time wise, depending on your age, it may be a possibility.

I will ask Ali, when I can, about Jimmy, however I could be way off track as I think Ali referred to this man as Jimmy Nichols.

Meanwhile, don't hold your breath.

Kind regards

Bob W.

IAN BEATON JACK
4th June 2008, 20:55
hi terry.was your g.dad from shetland??
ian jack

Terri75
4th June 2008, 21:44
I have just been talking with my mum and have the following information.

He was born in December 1932 in Aberdeen and started his career at sea when he left school in 1946. He worked right up till 1967. He passed away the year after when he was 36.

I know that he worked his way right up to be 1st officer, he also took his captains exam and passed and if he had continued his career at sea he would have been one of the youngest captains at that time.

Hope this added info helps

T xx

Terri75
4th June 2008, 21:58
Bomberman

I am afraid this would not be the same gentleman as he would have been a wee bit older. Thank you very much for the reply.

Ian, I have came across this Jim Nicholson's name before from Shetland, my heart leapt when I seen it but unfortunately this is not the same person.

Thanks again

T xx

ian d.cameron
4th June 2008, 23:36
There is a seamans pouch for R364432 NICHOLSON J 03/12/1931 ABERDEEN at Kew. But this one as the wrong year of birth.
But his CRS 10 (ships when and where joined) should be in here
[http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/displaycataloguedetails.asp?CATID=8126051&CATLN=6&Highlight=%2CNICHOLSON%2CJ&accessmethod=0
Request This
Printed or digital copy, Request an estimate.
Ask for his CRS 10
Give as much information as you can. If you know his Discharge Book number.
R------ all the better. If not his full name, date and place of birth etc.

non descript
4th June 2008, 23:57
Terri,
With your input we can narrow it down a bit, as he was (from a mixture of your records and the date of the ship) on the Brandon Priory at some stage between 1960 and 1967 as a deck officer – whilst this is not perfect, it is a start.
(Thumb)
Mark

Bombersman
5th June 2008, 08:33
Bomberman

I am afraid this would not be the same gentleman as he would have been a wee bit older. Thank you very much for the reply.

Ian, I have came across this Jim Nicholson's name before from Shetland, my heart leapt when I seen it but unfortunately this is not the same person.

Thanks again

T xx

Thanks for your prompt reply Terri75. I'm obviously barking up the wrong tree. I don't recall anyone from the deck department called Jim Nicholson during my time on the Brandon Priory.

Kind regards and best wishes for your search

Bob W(Thumb)

Terri75
5th June 2008, 08:52
Thanks for trying Bob. Its very appreciated.

Thanks Mark for that information, I'm just trying to gain some information to find out mre about him and hopefully some stories from people who knew him to see what kind off a person he was and see if I am somehow like him in certain manners.

T xx

non descript
5th June 2008, 08:59
Terri
"The longest journey starts with a single foot-step" it may not be much but at least we have the name of the Houlder Brothers ship and the era, so others may be ablt to join in the discussion and we can hopefully get some definite response. I have taken the liberty of editing the title of your thread to make it stand out a little.
(Thumb)
Mark

Terri75
5th June 2008, 09:05
Thank you Mark any help is appreciated a lot. I have managed to get pictures of all the boats he was on which I am hoping to help make up a dvd for my Gran.

T xx