Sibonga/Firbank

Thien Kim
4th June 2008, 20:15
Thien Kim is my name, a Viet namese boat people was rescued in May 1978, by Sibonga ship.

After 30 years we reunion. I like to look the photo of Sibonga ship in this site at

http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/data/510/medium/Sibonga.jpg

But some body said it was old. Sibonga rescued us was more recent than that one of the photo.

Has anyone seen a more modern of sibonga ? let me know.

Thien kim

K urgess
4th June 2008, 20:18
Welcome aboard, Thien Kim.
I am sure a member of the crew will be able to help.
Look around the ship and enjoy the voyage.

Bruce Carson
4th June 2008, 21:28
From Michigan, a warm welcome to Ships Nostalgia, Thien Kim.
Although shown as the 'Firbank', I believe this is the ship you are looking for.
Perhaps another member will have a picture of her as the 'Sibonga'.

Bruce

cadet
4th June 2008, 21:42
Sorry, but that is not the correct Firbank......

The one you want was launched around 1977...
Cedarbank Class.

Bruce Carson
4th June 2008, 21:48
Cadet, this is probably the correct ship. I had three pictures, supposedly of the same ship, and I choose the wrong two.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Bank-Line-Andrew-Weir-Firbank-English-Channel_W0QQitemZ150231385313#ebayphotohosting

gdynia
5th June 2008, 00:34
Welcome onboard to SN and enjoy the voyage

R58484956
5th June 2008, 08:27
Greetings Thien and welcome to SN. Bon voyage.

benjidog
5th June 2008, 23:01
Welcome from Lancashire UK.

I hope you will enjoy the site.

Regards,

Brian

Alan Rawlinson
12th December 2008, 15:26
Hallo, Thien Kim

The captain of SIBONGA at the time of the pick up was Healey Martin, a good friend of mine, as we had been shipmates earlier on the SOUTHBANK when he was an apprentice and I was then Chief officer. You may also remember his wife Mildred who was aboard the SIBONGA. We met again some years after the rescue and Healey was telling me about '' hate mail '' he was still receiving from various nut cases. On the positive side I do believe at least one new baby was named after the ship!

Healey Martin - a true gentleman mariner.

All the Best // Alan Rawlinson

billyboy
12th December 2008, 21:57
Welcome aboard from the Philippines. Enjoy all this great site has to offer

daveL
31st May 2010, 00:23
(Applause) I concur whole heartily with Alan`s sentiments. I was serving on board the Firbank/Sibonga at the time and Captain Martin was a gentleman and his lady wife a lovely. humane person.
I remember on that trip when a heavy machine broke loose in a hold and the crew were running around like headless chickens trying to secure it.
Captain Martin turned up and the load was secured in double quick time under his instructions. Outstanding!
Hallo, Thien Kim

The captain of SIBONGA at the time of the pick up was Healey Martin, a good friend of mine, as we had been shipmates earlier on the SOUTHBANK when he was an apprentice and I was then Chief officer. You may also remember his wife Mildred who was aboard the SIBONGA. We met again some years after the rescue and Healey was telling me about '' hate mail '' he was still receiving from various nut cases. On the positive side I do believe at least one new baby was named after the ship!

Healey Martin - a true gentleman mariner.

All the Best // Alan Rawlinson

ted nutt
31st May 2010, 09:58
Morning Thien Kim,I was third officer on the Sibonga when we stopped to pick up 32 boat people on 2/5/ 1978,proceeded to Bangkok,were 21 people went ashore on the 4th,then to Hong Kong were the remaining 17 left the vessel,your small boat which we saved was condemed in HK and burnt.I have just recentley found the diary with the dates.Ted

Alan Rawlinson
11th July 2013, 20:17
Thien Kim is my name, a Viet namese boat people was rescued in May 1978, by Sibonga ship.

After 30 years we reunion. I like to look the photo of Sibonga ship in this site at

http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/data/510/medium/Sibonga.jpg

But some body said it was old. Sibonga rescued us was more recent than that one of the photo.

Has anyone seen a more modern of sibonga ? let me know.

Thien kim

This was the ship / Regards (Firbank - On charter from the Bank Line )

cadet
14th July 2013, 18:43
I think that is the wrong Firbank.
The correct Firbank is here.
Sorry, but I'm not savvy enough to upload the picture. I can barely manage the link.

http://www.friendsreunited.co.uk/mv-firbank/Memory/9ec189af-ea1d-47cc-8227-a09b010ddf36

Alan Rawlinson
15th July 2013, 07:55
I think that is the wrong Firbank.
The correct Firbank is here.
Sorry, but I'm not savvy enough to upload the picture. I can barely manage the link.

http://www.friendsreunited.co.uk/mv-firbank/Memory/9ec189af-ea1d-47cc-8227-a09b010ddf36

You are correct - The Firbank which went on time charter to EAC and became the Sibonga was launched in 1976 and was sold inn 1983, having a relatively short life in Weir's. She earned her place in history, however!

BMSB1
7th October 2013, 20:48
Just joined on here due to so much chat about the Sibonga.
My dad was one of the Vietnamese rescued by the Sibonga at the end of May 1979. Taken to Hong Kong where they had to stay on the ship for a few weeks before being taken to Kai Tak refugee camp and he and family then came to UK.

Any information about the Sibonga would be greatly appreciated as I am trying to piece his story together - memories, cutting from press etc. is creating a fascinating story.
Any pictures, info etc.?

Also - he said that all on the ship had to give their name. We were wondering if there is any record of this list. Any info would be brilliant.
Many thanks

Alan Rawlinson
8th October 2013, 12:10
Just joined on here due to so much chat about the Sibonga.
My dad was one of the Vietnamese rescued by the Sibonga at the end of May 1979. Taken to Hong Kong where they had to stay on the ship for a few weeks before being taken to Kai Tak refugee camp and he and family then came to UK.

Any information about the Sibonga would be greatly appreciated as I am trying to piece his story together - memories, cutting from press etc. is creating a fascinating story.
Any pictures, info etc.?

Also - he said that all on the ship had to give their name. We were wondering if there is any record of this list. Any info would be brilliant.
Many thanks

Hallo and greetings from Cornwall...

I have sent you an email with my input on this amazing story. You will find lots of interesting comments plus contributions from members of the Sibonga at that time over on the Bank Line site.

Suggest any nimble fingered moderator who is copying this exchange to consider merging this thread with the similar named one on the bankline site. Many thanks.

Thien Kim
14th October 2013, 21:51
Morning Thien Kim,I was third officer on the Sibonga when we stopped to pick up 32 boat people on 2/5/ 1978,proceeded to Bangkok,were 21 people went ashore on the 4th,then to Hong Kong were the remaining 17 left the vessel,your small boat which we saved was condemed in HK and burnt.I have just recentley found the diary with the dates.Ted

Yes, Ted Nutt had the correct details, and I was one among these people came to UK.

We met the captain yearly, althrough the captain live very far North but he comes to London yearly for the Chelsea flowers show.

So far we can only find the captain and one of the crew members.

However Ted Nutt, if you like to contact do drop me a word.

Thien Kim

Thien Kim
14th October 2013, 22:06
(Scribe)Just joined on here due to so much chat about the Sibonga.

Any pictures, info etc.?

Many thanks

BMSB1 dad's boat was the late Singbonga after mine, with other captain.

I remember read the NEWS said there were 980 people on that ship.

Thien Kim

BMSB1
15th October 2013, 17:23
(Scribe)

BMSB1 dad's boat was the late Singbonga after mine, with other captain.

I remember read the NEWS said there were 980 people on that ship.

Thien Kim

His boat was May 1979 and had approx. 600 on board. Another was rescued the same day with approx. 500. The Sibonga took them all to Hong King. Captain Healey Martin.

trapdoor99
19th June 2014, 09:12
Thien.
I don't know if this is of any interest to you or other members but this is the plate issued to mark the first anniversary of the Sibonga rescue.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221468668785?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649