A big Hello from Madeira island

Ship's Agent
6th June 2008, 00:05
Hello friends,

Here's a Portuguese ship's enthusiast, living in Madeira island, the best island of the world !!! :)

Since a child ships were a passion, so after graduate at university I became operational ship's agent in the main shipping agency of Madeira, acting for all types of ships.

We represent almost 80% of the cruise companies of the world, about 150-180 cruise ships calls per year average, and I visit all, much work indeed but a real honor.

Among other curiosities I am a contributor for some local newspapers in the ports page, also other nautical publications, but my biggest pride is certainlly my official ships postcards collection....presently around 30.000 units....

I am a regular contributor to the famous Simplon's ships postcards web-site, therefore allow me to invite all to see some of my postcards displayed on this web-site, starting as an example on this link:-

http://www.simplonpc.co.uk/Portugal_Colonial.html

Enjoy as much as I do...

unsteadyken
6th June 2008, 00:30
Hello Dimas welcome to ships nostalgia. I always enjoyed my visits to Maderia, a lovely place. You must have walked here many times:
http://picasaweb.google.com/unsteadyken/Chusan/photo#5205303809188990434
Ken

Ship's Agent
6th June 2008, 00:44
Hello Mr. Ken

Yes, I do spend lot's of time excactly in that area and adjacent ones ...

However, today was somehow a sad day...hummm nostalgic day.

The Port of Funchal started yesterday to demolish the old building in order to build the new passenger terminal wich will be fully ISPS compliance, therefore that building or port Shopping Area is presently disappearing...

The new project is very "avant-garde" a mixture of terminal & gardens, and will be complete agw in two years time....will be beautiful, believe me.

For your reference the Port of Funchal is now fully for passenger ships, yachts,ferries and eventually navy ships on routine calls. We have a new terminal on the west coast only for merchant ships ( all types).

Till then I must say thank you for your photo, because even with 31 years old I growth watching these cranes ( already gone) and this building...and I miss them...by the time I used to go to the ships gangway and ask for postcards in order to add into my collection...

Again, a sincere thank you!

P.S. May I ask if you worked with P & O?

benjidog
6th June 2008, 22:46
Welcome from Lancashire UK.

I hope you will enjoy the site.

Regards,

Brian

gdynia
7th June 2008, 01:40
Welcome onboard to SN and enjoy the voyage

billyboy
7th June 2008, 03:57
Welcome aboard from the Philippines. Enjoy all this great site has to offer

JimC
8th June 2008, 17:13
Hello friends,

Here's a Portuguese ship's enthusiast, living in Madeira island, the best island of the world !!! :)

Since a child ships were a passion, so after graduate at university I became operational ship's agent in the main shipping agency of Madeira, acting for all types of ships.

We represent almost 80% of the cruise companies of the world, about 150-180 cruise ships calls per year average, and I visit all, much work indeed but a real honor.

Among other curiosities I am a contributor for some local newspapers in the ports page, also other nautical publications, but my biggest pride is certainlly my official ships postcards collection....presently around 30.000 units....

I am a regular contributor to the famous Simplon's ships postcards web-site, therefore allow me to invite all to see some of my postcards displayed on this web-site, starting as an example on this link:-

http://www.simplonpc.co.uk/Portugal_Colonial.html

Enjoy as much as I do...

Hi Demas!

Welcome to the site. I too live in wonderful Madeira (Funchal) and watch your charges from my balcony in Boa Nova.

Jim C.

Frank P
8th June 2008, 22:07
Welcome onboard Dimas, enjoy the site.

Cheers Frank

Ship's Agent
9th June 2008, 11:27
Dear friends

many thanks for all your comments, this is waht ships are all about!

They link countries, cross seas and above all made srong and valid friendSHIPS!

Regards

Dimas

charles henry
14th June 2008, 18:46
In 1942 the Baron Elgan stopped at Madeira and put ashore about 30 bedraggled British seamen from various vessels which had been torpedoed. I was one of them and to this day remember the truly magnificent way the people of the island treated us. I was put in the Savoy hotel along with the few survivors from the m/v Tasmania and we were treated royally.
Your island has a very special place in my heart,
regards Charles Henry

Ship's Agent
15th June 2008, 00:17
Dear Sir

Many thanks for your kind comments concerning madeira island and our people.

Just a quick notice, presently we are discussing here on Madeira about the fate of the Savoy Hotel, because she looks exactly the same as 1942 ( she had later some modifications on the 70's), and many people think that she must be preserved as a symbol of Madeira...

However the owners , want to demolish her to make the first 6 star hotel of Europe instead.... still Savoy however 6 or 7 (?) stars....

Let's see how it goes, and from my side if you wish Sir, I can keep you updated about this "case"...

Kindest regards from sunny Madeira

Dimas Almada

R58484956
15th June 2008, 16:37
Greetings Dimas and a warm welcome to SN. Enjoy the site and bon voyage.