tate and lyle ships

paulmira
6th June 2008, 02:40
hi all,i worked on the sugar line from may 78 till dec 79, i sailed on 3 of their bulk carriers, sugar trader,sugar producer and sugar transporter. would anyone have any information on these ships and are they still sailing today, i was only a deck boy at the time and remembered my time onboard very well, i would appreciate any information,thanks.

Bruce Carson
6th June 2008, 03:01
Paul, a warm welcome to Ships Nostalgia.
It's good to have you onboard.
A good bet that you'll hear from our members with information about the Tate & Lyle ships.

Bruce

shipmate17
6th June 2008, 11:15
Hi.
From Miramar data base.
SUGAR TRADER. ID.7341269. Flag.Gbr. Grt.17779. SP15k. built 1974 by Scotts SB. Greenock. Renamed. 1979.NATHALIE. 1981.CONTINENTAL MERCHANT. 1986.TONATLI. 1991.FATHOM. 1991.BLUE MEADOW.1993. AMBA. 1994. EVER BRIGHT. scrapped.Alang.1998.
SUGAR PRODUCER. ID.6810938. Flag. Gbr. Grt.13984. SP15.5k. Built 1968 by Lithgows.Port Glasgow. Renamed 1980.CAPE AVANTI DUE. 1986. DELTA PORT SAID. scrapped Kaoshiung.1987.
SUGAR TRANSPORTER. ID. 7104294. Flag. Gbr. Grt.13907. SP15k. Built 1970 by Lithgows.Port Glasgow. Renamed. 1979.KEFALONIA WIND. 1984. SEA TRANSPORTER. 1986. SUNSET. Foundered 12.36N/53.22E. on 1/8/1991.
Cheers.

ian d.cameron
6th June 2008, 12:12
SUGAR PRODUCER
http://www.clydesite.co.uk/clydebuilt/viewship.asp?id=18491
SUGAR TRANSPORTER
http://www.clydesite.co.uk/clydebuilt/viewship.asp?id=18507
Canít find the TRADER yet

benjidog
6th June 2008, 23:54
Welcome from Lancashire.

I hope you will enjoy the site.

Regards,

Brian

gdynia
7th June 2008, 02:39
Welcome onboard to SN and enjoy the voyage

billyboy
7th June 2008, 04:59
Welcome aboard from the Philippines. Enjoy all this great site has to offer

paulmira
7th June 2008, 10:32
thanks for the info on the whereabouts of the sugar boats, i enjoyed the pics of the trader and producer, i have some photos somewhere from my time on the sugar boats, ill try and find them and try to upload them, cheers

mattina
13th June 2008, 10:50
Hi Paul The Sugar Producer was my first ship after I left sea school. Joined her as gallery boy on the 1st August 1978 and paid off on the 18th September 1978. Spent 3 weeks in Georgetown, British Guyana loading raw sugar. Regards Matthew

paulmira
18th June 2008, 01:13
hi mathew,i joined the sugar producer around about jan 79, i signed on at silvertown and done two trips to the west indies for raw sugar eventully signing off at silvertown after 3 months. i left gravesend sea school in the middle of may 78 so you must of been there when i was there cause it was 14 weeks training so i guess you joined round about easter when i was 10 weeks into my course. i done my deck boy ticket so im not sure if we mixed with the galley boys. are you still at sea or did u jack it in. i left the merch after 3 years which i regretted doing, i always said to myself i would do a minimum of 10 years so ive only myself to blame, it was such an excellent life. just one more thing; did you remember a teacher everyone use to call penguin? regards paul:

mattina
26th June 2008, 11:57
Hi Paul. Only spent eight years at sea and have been living in Auckland New Zealand for the last twenty three years. Have great memories of my time at sea. Penguin rings a bell but can,t remember anything about him. Regards Matthew

Jim Brady
7th December 2008, 14:36
I Did The Maiden Voyage On The Crystal Sapphire From Cammell
Llairds Yard Birkenhead.all T&l Ships Then Began With Crystal I,e
Gem,
Diamond Etc.across The Atlantic To Jamaica,she Was Like A Cork,she'l Be Alright When She's Loaded,she Rolled Even More On The Way Home.we Did Two Ports In Jamaica Savvanah La Ma,ithink That How It Was Spelt,and Salt River. Returned To Silvertown.
Because It Was The Maiden Voyage We Were Invited To A Beautiful
Club On What I Think Was A Sugar Plantation.it Was Supposed
To Be To See A Film ,but Unfortunately For The Captain It Was A
Free Bar!!by The Time He ,the Mate And The Chief Engineer Came Back
From Watching The Film(the Tender Trap)everybody Was The Worse
For Wear So The Blocks Were Put On The Free Bar.the Captain Was
Totally Embarrassed Of The Scene That He Met On Entering The Bar.
It Was Bank Holiday We Could'nt Get A Sub So We Could'nt Go
Anywhere Else,bottles Of Red Stripe And Appletons Estate&coke.

joebuckham
7th December 2008, 15:51
I Did The Maiden Voyage On The Crystal Sapphire From Cammell
Llairds Yard Birkenhead.all T&l Ships Then Began With Crystal I,e
Gem,Diamond Etc.across The Atlantic To Jamaica,she Was Like A Cork,she'l Be Alright When She's Loaded,she Rolled Even More On The Way Home.we Did Two Ports In Jamaica Savvanah La Ma,ithink That How It Was Spelt,and Salt River. Returned To Silvertown.

there was a little doggerel about the smaller crystal boats. i can vaguely remember the easier rhymings:
the crystal crown has broken down
the crystal cube ran out of lube
the crystal jewel ran out of fuel
the crystal bell is bound for hell

but the diamond and the gem elude my softening grey tissue is there any one out there who remembers this little bit of childish nonsense

David Menzies
5th January 2009, 14:47
Hello Paul. I was on the Sugar Carrier in 1966, 3 voyages as 2nd mate.
Naff engines!!!!!!!!
Dave Menzies

treeve
5th January 2009, 15:11
Sugar Line Ships at ...
http://freepages.family.rootsweb.com/~treevecwll/sl.htm
more to come as I assemble the research material from Tate & Lyle, etc...
all the best, Raymond

paulmira
5th January 2009, 17:16
hi raymond, thanks for the website of the sugar line ships, i found it quite fasinating, i did not know that the producer and transporter were built in the late sixties,i thought it was built around the same time as the trader in 74 but thinking about it, they had derricks and the trader had cranes so i should have known, thanks anyway, paul!

paulmira
5th January 2009, 17:28
hi dave,i know what you mean about the engines on the sugar ships, on my trips across the atlantic, we were always stopping the engines and just floating about on the waves in the middle of nowhere so i dont know if we broke down or they just gave the engines a rest, i never asked anybody, regards,paul!

paulmira
5th January 2009, 17:46
hi jim, i know what you mean about the sugar ships being like corkscrews crossing the atlantic, on a trip from immingham to trinidad to collect raw sugar, we sailed empty and when we hit bad weather the bow would come out the water and when she hit the waves again i would be on the poop deck listening at the propeller whilling away out of the water and i think that lasted for about 2 days so for me it was a frightning experiance but i was assured by the older crew that the ship was fine and they had been in worst situations then that so that eased my nerves a little, regards, paul!

Locking Splice
6th January 2009, 10:57
Hi,

The Producer and the Refiner had permanant wire safty lines and stantions on the main deck for heavy weather and which lay flat on the deck when not in use.

Best Regards

Yuge

M. Moore
13th February 2010, 19:58
Anyone on the sugar importer anchored off lagos for several months, carrying bagged cement, I think we ended up discharging at Abu dabi

M. Moore
13th February 2010, 20:03
What about when the Sugar Producer ran aground on the way down the great lakes, carried grain anyone on her then

M. Moore
13th February 2010, 20:12
Was it the Transporter or Producer that "took on" sea water in the engine room whilst in Brisbane, she was loaded with newsprint at the time.
I cannot recall which vessel I was on when we tried to load sugar at Ochio Rios, took almost 3 weeks instead of 36 hours, when we left the nearest bar ( I think it was not far from the dock gates, and buit out of corrugated sheets), (may have been the blue Boar), was being painted in Sugar Line Colours. anyone recall this?

sean
7th March 2010, 12:45
What about when the Sugar Producer ran aground on the way down the great lakes, carried grain anyone on her then

we were inward bound for the lakes with steel from europe when we had collision in welland canal. We had emergency repairs in Thorold (Niagara) before our disports. After discharge we proceeded to drydock in Collingwood
Ontario for several weeks.(a great time had by all!)Really good trip and crew
I was Radio Officer in those days. Vessel was Sugar Crystal though.Was also on Sugar Producer in 75/76 in trip to Gulf. Did both vessels have mishaps in lakes then?

M. Moore
22nd May 2010, 20:36
I spent +/- 20 years at sea, served with just 5 companies, the very best of the bunch was Tate & Lyle. Tates amongst other things had ceramic sugar cube necklets that employees could purchase, I used to give these to the ladies? I met through out my travels. Does anyone rember these. I would love to hear from any lady who has one!

M. Moore
22nd May 2010, 20:40
Where abouts is the deck boy I rescued from a nigerian prison. He drove a forklift off the end of the quay, was arrested, the old man refused to help so I contacted silver Town office.

M. Moore
22nd May 2010, 20:44
Anyono know where kamicasi is, radio officer on board Sugr producer when she run aground in the great lakes some time in the late 70's. he almost always went ashore wearing a 1st world war flying helmet.

Thats another Story
22nd May 2010, 20:56
i was in the house that MR LYLE had built in childwall liverpool a mate of mine lives in it . its a grade 2 listed building lovely woodwork and leaded windows.

n. liddell (sparks)
23rd May 2010, 10:02
hi all,i worked on the sugar line from may 78 till dec 79, i sailed on 3 of their bulk carriers, sugar trader,sugar producer and sugar transporter. would anyone have any information on these ships and are they still sailing today, i was only a deck boy at the time and remembered my time onboard very well, i would appreciate any information,thanks.

Greetings Paulmira
Go to www.photopship.co.uk and you will find pictures of the "sugar ships"

sean
13th January 2012, 12:07
Anybody out there remember this circa 1978 , Just found this .I was radio officer on board that day.good old days didnt have to work then , much like the deck department of today!

Paddy123
3rd March 2013, 11:03
Hi worked on sugar transporter 1970 To 1971 done maiden voyage to Houston , really loved that ship , I was officers saloon steward captain Lunn was on board , what a gentleman he was , new his wife ass well ,from what I can make of it the sugar Transporter sank at anchorage in 1991 , brings tears to my eyes .hi all,i worked on the sugar line from may 78 till dec 79, i sailed on 3 of their bulk carriers, sugar trader,sugar producer and sugar transporter. would anyone have any information on these ships and are they still sailing today, i was only a deck boy at the time and remembered my time onboard very well, i would appreciate any information,thanks.

TOM ALEXANDER
4th March 2013, 09:23
My Grand father was born and raised in Greenock and worked for the sugar factory there prior to transferring to Silvertown. My Dad also worked at Tate & Lyle there - in the factory first, then as a commissionaire after WW II. During my summer school holidays one year, (I would be about 15 at the time) he got me a days "work experience" on one of the Silvertown Services tugs, hauling lighters up and down the Thames. Used to go with him to watch the amateur boxing at Tate's, and play billiards there - they had some beautiful full size tables. Went up to Lyle's in Canning Town once too. Company affectionally referred to as "Slate & Tile". (Wave)

R58484956
4th March 2013, 12:00
Greetings paddy123 and welcome to SN. Bon voyage.

Paddy123
4th March 2013, 19:45
thanks for your e mail tom , i am new to computers so i hope all you old seamen and young will bear with me , i get very sad thinking about my years at sea because if i was young i would do it all over again , but life changes and we all have to move on .OTE=TOM ALEXANDER;660030]My Grand father was born and raised in Greenock and worked for the sugar factory there prior to transferring to Silvertown. My Dad also worked at Tate & Lyle there - in the factory first, then as a commissionaire after WW II. During my summer school holidays one year, (I would be about 15 at the time) he got me a days "work experience" on one of the Silvertown Services tugs, hauling lighters up and down the Thames. Used to go with him to watch the amateur boxing at Tate's, and play billiards there - they had some beautiful full size tables. Went up to Lyle's in Canning Town once too. Company affectionally referred to as "Slate & Tile". (Wave)[/QUOTE]

Paddy123
4th March 2013, 20:44
Anybody out there remember this circa 1978 , Just found this .I was radio officer on board that day.good old days didnt have to work then , much like the deck department of today!
Don't know anything about that photo of sugar crystal , but I must have done the best trip ever on that ship in 1971 to 1972 , we went everywhere , I was away on that ship for 9 months but the original crew who signed on in London from the start were on it for 13 months.

Went to Canada , Trinidad , Baltimore USA , Panama Canal , New Zealand , north and South Island , Australia , got arrested there for being a public nuisance , the police told us to get back to our own country , which we all thought was futile and pathetic , but then what can you expect from Aussies , on the way home we called at Cape Town to top up on the green stuff ??? , what a trip that was , fantastic and what a crew , Bob and Karl from Scotland , Dick from Hastings , Colin from Vange in London and me from Ipswich in Suffolk , lovely days lovely memories . Barry Fuller