Alan Roberts, Sunderland

parminters
6th June 2008, 13:43
Hello, I am writing to seek out shipmates of an Alan Roberts from Sunderland U.K.,who served in the Merchant Marine in the 50s and 60s. I hope to have full details on the ships he served on the the next few days. Alan is now 70 and retired in the Philippines. He has no computer hence I am his conduit in his quest to find some old shipmates. I believe one of the ships he crewed was "Builder" and another was owned by British Gas. Not much to go on I know, but more to follow. Having only just stumbled on this site I am amazed at the amount of information available, both in text form in the forums and in the gallery - congratulations on a job extremely well done.

Bruce Carson
6th June 2008, 13:58
A warm welcome to Ships Nostalgia, parminters.
Chances are there are members who will remember Alan.
Post the details and, with any luck, you'll find some of Alan's old shipmates.

Bruce

fred henderson
6th June 2008, 14:52
Welcome to the site parminters. Good luck in your quest.

Fred(Thumb)

Steve Woodward
6th June 2008, 15:47
Taggapin Parminters,
We hope yourself and Alan make contact with old shipmates, enjoy your time with us
Steve

benjidog
7th June 2008, 00:04
Welcome from Lancashire.

I hope you will enjoy the site.

Regards,

Brian

gdynia
7th June 2008, 02:39
Welcome onboard to SN and enjoy the voyage

billyboy
7th June 2008, 05:04
Welcome aboard from the Philippines. Enjoy all this great site has to offer

parminters
7th June 2008, 08:33
Wow, I am impressed, thank you to Gdnia, Benjidog, Fred, Steve Woodward and lastly( but not least) from Billyboy who I do believe is also in the Philippines. I have been made to feel very welcome indeed, thanks shipmates

GWB
7th June 2008, 10:36
Welcome aboard from Aussie enjoy the trip
GWB

parminters
7th June 2008, 10:58
Thank you GWB, You are all most welcoming which is nice in todays fast tracked world - yep - even in the Philippines!. I have just tracked down the ships that Alan helped crew. They are the MV Accum - collier, North Thames Gas Board 1950 and MV Reaveley, owner Stephen Suttons maiden voyage 1956 Newcastle to Halifax. So time to go 'hunting' in the galleries etcetra and I will open a thread for each ship to illicit responses.

Frank P
8th June 2008, 23:20
Welcome onboard Parminters, enjoy the site.

Cheers Frank

parminters
9th June 2008, 06:11
Thank you also Frank, this is really a great site. I notice by your profile that we have something in common, as also does Alan, and I am not referring to the 'Lechon' on the table!, good to hear from you

quietman
9th June 2008, 08:10
Hi Parminters. Welcome to the site from sunny Sunderland. Tell Alan it's still a good place to be, although I can see the attraction of living in the Phillipines(Thumb)

parminters
10th June 2008, 11:16
Sunderland is probably a lot better, but I have the best of both worlds here as the sun shines and I can still enjoy my Sunderland Black Pudding. Thank you for your nice greeting. I have now tracked down some photos of the MV Accum for Alan, and perhaps in time we might find one of those elusive shipmates. But he is delighted with the responses so far, thanks mates, one and all.

R58484956
11th June 2008, 21:11
Greetings Parminters and welcome to SN. Bon voyage.