BP fifty years in pictures

d.r.wing
6th June 2008, 20:12
I have recovered from my library a pair of books given to all BP crew members in 1959. One records the 1st 50 years in pictures all blk and wht, the other is Adventure in Oil with a forward by Winston Churchill it covers the early days of exploration by William Knox D'arcy to off shore drilling rigs in Trinidad again all pic's are black and white.There are pic's of the Anglo-Iranian staff leaving Abadan in 1951, the largest tankers pictured are 42000 tonners still with midships accommodation but the two masts are replaced by gantrys. One of them is the Br. Faith. I remember a very old Faith sister ship to the Hope they were both steam up and downers there was enough room below to hold
a large assembly, I worked on them when I was an apprentice in Falmouth Docks. Anybody else keep their books?

Graham Wallace
7th June 2008, 02:23
David ,
I still have my copy of 'BP 50 years in pictures' and I even have the slip of paper ( about 3"X5") that came with it mentioning Tuesday 14th April (1959) was the 5oth anniversary of the incorporation of British Petroleum Co Ltd. The Tanker photos from p 124/127 are Adventure,Realm,Sailor & Soldier and one other unnamed. P 128 shows the Duchess 42000 ton being launched and p 129 on trials. Some other neat pictures in the book.

Never heard of 'Adventures in oil'. or at least do not remember retaining a copy.

I was given a copy of George Kings 'A love of Ships ' a few years ago, enjoyed it immensely. Somebody found it in a UK 'Boot' sale and sent it to me.
Over 'ere we have Garage Sales and Yard Sales but no Boot Sales!

Found a copy of 'Supership' by Noel Mostert, a must read.

Graham

D Sutton
7th June 2008, 21:03
Still got my fathers copy, it also has the slip of paper

John_F
7th June 2008, 22:14
Graham,
I also received a copy of BP: 50 year in pictures plus a copy of Adventure in Oil which if my memory serves me correctly was put together by Henry Longhurst, the golfer. Sadly, I no longer have my copies & have no idea what happened to them.
I did receive a copy a couple of years ago from BP of a copy of "A Portrait in Oil" which was published in 1995. Not too much on the tanker fleet in there but one or two photos of interest.
I sailed briefly with GAB King on the Birch when I was an apprentice & he was a marine superintendent. He was aboard on a trip from the Tyne to Grain while we tested out the new fangled Decca Navigator. I met up again with him in 2005 at the 90th anniversary celebrations of the Company at the Royal Naval College in Greenwich. Needles to say, he didn't remember me....... I got him to sign Middlemiss's latest edition of "The British Tankers" which was given to us all at the dinner. I have a copy of his "A Love of Ships" which I also found very interesting.
Hope you're keeping well.
Kind regards,
John.

John Crossland
8th June 2008, 00:13
For the 90th Anniversary, in 2005, I received :-

"The British Tankers" Revised Edition May 2005 by N.L. Middlemiss

"Nelson & Napoleon" Edited by Margarette Lincoln, Special Edition for BP Shipping's 90th Anniversary

...... whether all sea staff received them or not, I do not know.

James_C
8th June 2008, 11:06
John,
I got the aforementioned, however there was no cover note with them to say who they were from etc!
The Nelson/Napoleon one was a bit bizarre, seem to remember we got that lot around about the same time they had that clean seas thing (a week before the Progress incident!) and we were given a "goody bag" for that too.
They sent the books to everyone, even the Polish/Indian contingent!

d.r.wing
8th June 2008, 20:38
John
I have a copy of N.L.Middlemas published 1989 mine is to celebrate 80 years of BP Tanker Operations. I presume the later editions include ships built during the following ten years, glad to hear everyone had a copy. A wonderful collection of photographs. I also have the slip issued with the 50 yrs etc books

wtaylor
9th June 2008, 12:20
Not quite as good as the books but does anyone still have the game of "OIL" issued by BP. Board game had map of the world, oil fields on which you placed rigs and tanker fleet to move cargo. Similar to monopoly but never seen anywhere other than BP ships.
Wilt

d.r.wing
5th August 2008, 16:33
I have just finished reading 'BP Tankers A Group History' by W.J.Harvey and Dr.R.J.Solley an excellent read which gave me a great insight into the changes occurring after I left the sea in 1962, also plenty of information and pictures of fleet ships built between 1913 and 2005. First published in 2005 a must read for anyone interested in the varying fortunes of BP Tanker Co. etc., and the technological changes in those 92 years.

McCloggie
5th August 2008, 16:49
I too have a (signed) copy of A Love of Ships.

Captain (?) King was - and maybe still is - a neighbour of my aunt/uncle and as my old man was ex-RN he was given a copy.

Totally useless post but just thought I would tell you all anyway!

McC