Help!! off topic.

Tony D
8th June 2008, 22:31
Had a dual hard disk disaster last week,master and slave both porked, formated and reload operating system drivers ect on one disk,manged to instal other disk as slave and retrieve all my vital stuff,trouble using Firefox there is no folder as with internet explora that hold all your favourite URL's,managed to find my way back to most of the websites I surf including obviously SN, I was also a member of a website called I think, Railway Nostalgia,not sure if it is a affiliate of this site but I am sure I got the URL from here originally.
Cant find my way back using google does anybody here have the URL please.
Would be very greatful for same.
Thanks in advance
Tony
(Thumb)

benjidog
8th June 2008, 23:19
Not off topic at all but appropriate to the "Computers and the Internet" forum where I will shortly move it.

The URL you want is: http://www.railwayforum.net/

I am pleased you didn't lose too much. I hope you will back up all your photos onto DVD just in case you get a further problem. You can also back up your favourites folder where all thost URLs are kept.

Regards,

Brian

Tony D
8th June 2008, 23:34
Thank you Mr B,thats the one you are a diamond.(Thumb)
Do have a lot of my stuff backed up on DVD's but with firefox there is no folder marked favorites or bookmarks as there was in internet explora,it was a simple matter with explorer to copy your favorites across to another Hard Disk,you just grabbed the folder named favorites and shifted it across to the new desktop and replaced the folder with the same name and that was it, all your favorite website URLs on your new disk,never been able to find where Firefox hides your bookmarks.
Anyway thanks again.

benjidog
8th June 2008, 23:52
I don't use Firefox myself but I found this utility that you may wish to check out to manage your backups - it appears to be free so might be worth a try: http://mozbackup.jasnapaka.com/

Regards,

Brian

billyboy
9th June 2008, 04:34
Strange, I have been using firefox for a long time now. I have a bookmarks tab at the top of the screen on mine

Jeffers
9th June 2008, 11:41
Thank you Mr B,thats the one you are a diamond.(Thumb)
Do have a lot of my stuff backed up on DVD's but with firefox there is no folder marked favorites or bookmarks as there was in internet explora,it was a simple matter with explorer to copy your favorites across to another Hard Disk,you just grabbed the folder named favorites and shifted it across to the new desktop and replaced the folder with the same name and that was it, all your favorite website URLs on your new disk,never been able to find where Firefox hides your bookmarks.
Anyway thanks again.

Click on the "bookmarks" at the top of the page and go into "organise bookmarks" which brings up the bookmark manager.
Click on "file", you will see that there are options called "import" and "export". Use the "export" option to create a backup file of your bookmarks. You can then use the "import" option to retrieve them if you have to re-install.(Thumb)
Obviously you have to keep a backup copy of the export file somewhere safe!

Tony D
9th June 2008, 13:00
Thanks for the replies chaps, opening the Bookmarks in Firefox is not the problem Mr Billy,tiz getting all your bookmarks from one hard disk to a newly installed one,anyway thanks for the advice peeps will try what you suggest.
(Thumb)

Steve Woodward
9th June 2008, 13:47
When I changed computers - not being a whizz - I just copied and pasted my bookmarks into a word doccument, put the word doccument into the new computer then opened them one at a time and saved them onto the new machine - bit slow like me but it worked fine
Steve