hi

runagry george
10th June 2008, 12:04
hi am searching for information on a tanker that was sunk by a bomb in the straits of balikapan off singapore? in 1958/1959 the ss san fernando could someone direct me to a site or a forum that might have that info thanks in advance jan

non descript
10th June 2008, 12:50
Jan, a warm welcome to you. Thank you for joining the community, let's see what we can come up with on the ss San Fernando; in the meantime enjoy the site and all it has to offer, and we very much look forward to your postings in due course. Bon Voyage

K urgess
10th June 2008, 16:32
Welcome aboard from East Yorkshire, Jan.
Best of luck with your quest. I'm sure someone in the crew will be able to help.
Explore the ship and enjoy the voyage.

benjidog
10th June 2008, 21:51
Welcome from Lancashire.

I hope you will enjoy the site.

There have been a number of ships called San Fernando but given the year I would think it is this one: http://www.miramarshipindex.org.nz/ship/show/101553

Can't help with the bomb incident though.

Regards,

Brian

ian d.cameron
10th June 2008, 22:07
Hi Brian
I sailed on the Hemicardium for seven months in 1971 and I don't recall any story of a bomb in her past, but you never know.

gdynia
11th June 2008, 00:31
Welcome onboard to SN and enjoy the voyage

backsplice
11th June 2008, 10:03
I thinkj the tanker you,re looking for is the "SAN FLAVIANO" bombed by an American Mercenery there is a thread in the Tanker section I think??
bACKSPLICE
(Thumb)

Bruce Carson
11th June 2008, 14:29
George, from Michigan, a warm welcome to Ships Nostalgia.
Good to have you onboard.
Make yourself at home and join in our friendly discussions.

Bruce

R58484956
11th June 2008, 20:03
Greetings George and welcome to SN. Bon voyage.

onestar
11th June 2008, 21:26
Yes, it was sts SAN FLAVIANO, at anchor in Balik Papan bay. She was built 1956 and was of the same design as the Shell H class. Also bombed in the attack was the Shell tanker DARONIA. A bomb pierced the cowling of the pump room ventilator, hit the deck above number 6 centre tank and bounced over the side without exploding. This was fortunate as 6C contained about 600 tons of spiked naptha, highly volatile. A friend of mine was onboard at the time and he showed me a photograph of the ventilator damage. I joined DARONIA some eight months after the incident, and visited Balik Papan on a few occasions after that. SAN FLAVIANO broke into two pieces after the attack, the stern section going aground, with the bow and bridge swinging around on her anchor. It was always a good indication of the state of the tidal stream approaching the jetty! Fortunately there were no casualties as I remember.

Hugh MacLean
11th June 2008, 22:33
Hello and welcome.

A cable received in London from Captain J B Bright, 46 master of the San Flaviano addressed to the Eagle Oil and Shipping Company read: "San Flaviano bombed 07.20 local time 28th at bay anchorage. Ship burning out and abandoned. All crew safe with no casualties. No documents saved" A spokesman for the shipping comany said that the cable came from the Daronia and it was presumed that Captain Bright was aboard her.

If you would like the full newspaper article please PM your email address and I will send it on.

Regards