Union Castle Line : Drakensberg Castle

wbmkk
11th June 2008, 22:30
Hello

I am writing this on behalf of my elderly father, who is 82

His name is William Leslie Morrison, although he has always been called Les

Originally from Holywood in Northern Ireland, he joined the Union Castle line and spent many years with the company, until 1960 (just after I arrived via the stork)

He has Alzheimer's but still remembers with great fondness his days at sea

Although he was on many ships, the one he mentions most is the Drakensburg Castle.

He was in the engineroom and eventually made his way up to First Engineer.

Does anybody remember him

This is probably a very 'long shot. but worth a try

He lives in Whitley bay now, near Newcastle. We go out most evenings for a short walk and tonight saw there was a ship in the Tyne. It turned out to be the Rotterdam from the American Holland line

It was while showing dad on the internet the pictures of that boat, that he started mentioning all the Castle Ships again.

I came accross this web site by chance.

I hope somebody can assist.

Regards !

BRian Morrison

ian d.cameron
11th June 2008, 23:01
Hi Brian
There is a photo of her here
http://www.pwsts.org.uk/ships/drakensbergcastle.htm

non descript
11th June 2008, 23:28
Brian, that a grand story and well done, you are doing a great job and it isn't easy. - A warm welcome to you and to Les. Thank you for joining the community; with a lot of Union Castle folk on here you should get some good replies; in the meantime do enjoy the site and all it has to offer, and we very much look forward to your postings in due course. Bon Voyage

ps. without making light of the dreadful Alzheimer's, at least Les will have a perfect memory for events of 1960, even if those of earlier this evening may prove less easy. (Thumb)

K urgess
11th June 2008, 23:34
Welcome aboard from East Yorkshire, Les and Brian.
Nice introduction. I'm sure the crew will continue to help as they ahve already.
Look around the ship and enjoy the voyage.

danube4
12th June 2008, 00:21
Welcome, William & Brian.
Type, Drakesberg Castle, In gallery for pic's.
one in war time colours.
Barney.

benjidog
12th June 2008, 00:47
Welcome to the site from Lancashire.

I wish you and your father well and hope that some of our members will remember him. In any case he may well enjoy looking at the photos in the Gallery that may bring memories back for him.

Regards,

Brian

billyboy
12th June 2008, 01:52
Welcome aboard from the Philippines. Enjoy all this great site has to offer.

gdynia
12th June 2008, 04:06
Welcome onboard to SN and enjoy the voyage

Chris Isaac
12th June 2008, 09:10
Can I suggest that you guide your father to the Union Castle Staff Register http://www.unioncastlestaffregister.co.uk
Here you will be able to record his history and it will enable him to browse and recall many of his old shipmates.
I too share his love of Union Castle but my time was after his, I joined in 1962.
Kind regards
Chris

Bruce Carson
12th June 2008, 14:39
Brian, from Michigan, a warm welcome to Ships Nostalgia.
It's good to see that our members have provided help with your enquiries.
Perhaps someone will remember your father and rekindle more memories for him.
Best wishes,
Bruce

R58484956
12th June 2008, 20:11
Greetings Brian and welcome to SN. I sailed on the Draks sister ship the Good Hope Castle . Pettit was the chief, perhaps dad knew him. Bon voyage.