B.P Tankers

barrow-boy
12th June 2008, 07:02
I've been working in Long Beach for the last few months and noticed 2 or 3 B.P. tankers tied up at the same mooring, the latest one is the B.Pioneer, she was at anchor last week and now tied up, does anyone know what reason they come in for, it doesn't look like an oil terminal, I see these from the Vincent Thomas Bridge.
Nick.

John Crossland
12th June 2008, 09:41
Hi Nick,

The British Pioneer would be discharging crude oil from either Basrah, Iraq or an offshore oil installation in Angola.

barrow-boy
13th June 2008, 06:35
Thanks John,
She was empty at anchor for a few days then tied up, I thought maybe tank washing.

John Crossland
13th June 2008, 07:30
Thanks John,
She was empty at anchor for a few days then tied up, I thought maybe tank washing.
Hi Nick,
Last time I paid off in January 2007, that's what she was doing.
What she is doing at the moment I could not say.

Graham Wallace
16th June 2008, 16:58
I left BP in 1962 and had not seen any BP Tankers since that day. However in December 2004 I saw the Laurel anchored in Nanaimo.I heard later fom David Peterson that she was used as a 'lightening vessel ' for the ULCC's from Iraq to West Coast US (L.A.?) taking off 100,000 tons prior to their berthing.
David's son Rob was 2/E on her in 2004 and David was C/E in later 2006.

Both David and Rob were ex BP Engineering apprentices, It is possible David will be retiring soon.

I think I saw the Laurel later on on R&R in English Bay ( Vancouver )later on
in 2005/6 and then this April the Beech was anchored in Vancouver , also on 5 days R&R ? So I guess they are still using these type of ships as lightening vessels.

Graham Wallace

Graham Wallace
17th June 2008, 15:26
Ooops,major mistake on my part. I think it was Rob Wheeldon who was 2/E on the Laurel in 2004, son of Eric Wheeldon
Both Rob and Eric were ex Engineering apprentices ( 1964 & 1993). David Peterson does not have a son named Rob.

My excuse for the error was that it was 6 am Western Canada time when I wrote that reply yesterday. Seniors should not be let loose on the world before at least 10am when the have had morning coffee and be properly warmed up.
Graham.