Port Dunedin

Edd Root
20th March 2008, 17:09
Has any one any information on the Port Dunedin, I did one short trip on her to Antwerp in feb.52 ? as Deck Boy.
hoping one of you guys can help.

Edd Root

ian d.cameron
13th June 2008, 11:05
Has any one any information on the Port Dunedin, I did one short trip on her to Antwerp in feb.52 ? as Deck Boy.
hoping one of you guys can help.

Edd Root

Hi Edd
http://www.miramarshipindex.org.nz/ship/show/76451
http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=56551
http://www.benjidog.co.uk/allen/photos/PORT0019.jpg

jim
13th June 2008, 13:00
Hi EDD. I was Donkeyman on her in 1952/53. Lost count of the number of Breakdowns we had on the way home from NZ in '53. She was a grand old ship built in Belfast by Workman Clarke about 1924/5. When I left her the word was that she was going in for a complete replacement of the engines and generators.
I don't know what happened to her after that. Jim.

doug rowland
16th June 2008, 21:15
She was the first motor ship built for Commonwealth & Dominion Line(later Port Line) and she lasted til the early 1960's, she was followed by sister ships
Port Freemantle, Port Huon, Port Fairy, Port Alma and Port Hobart. All survived to the 60s except the Hobart that was a war casualty.Soundly built ships from Workman Clark and Swan Hunters. I had the good fortune to sail in two of them.

Doug

Doug

John Rogers
16th June 2008, 22:34
I sailed on the Port Wyndham in August of 1953 until Jan 1954, they look alike, were they sisterships?.

John

ian d.cameron
17th June 2008, 09:08
Hi John
The Dunedin was built by Workman Clarke in Belfast in 1925
The Port Wyndham was built ten years later at John Browns
http://www.clydesite.co.uk/clydebuilt/viewship.asp?id=2262

billdunlop
6th July 2008, 08:40
hi all i was starting to think i was the only person that sailed on the Port Dunedin done two trips deep sea on her oz & nz both as deck boy(peggy) 3/10/1958-8/7/1959 like to hear from any former shipmates not that i can recall any names, best regards bill

ronald pearson
2nd September 2008, 22:02
Hi Ed, I joined the port dunedin in 1955 at wallsend slipway on the tyne after she had had a major o/haul of 2 main engines and 3 diesel gens. i was junior engineer on my first trip to oz & nz. coming back i was 3rd fridg eng. it was an education, the number of times we broke down was countless but i learned more that trip than my apprenticeship. it was a workhorse but very happy and made me appreciate my later berths. ron pearson.

john meekin
3rd September 2008, 12:39
hi edd, i did a trip on the old dunedin down to NZ in 1961,as a.b. it was a great trip with a great crew,two from every part of the U,K.we mixed well.we lived up in the forc.sle great in calm weather wooden decks foe to aft the mast stays were differant, went up round the mast and down again, i never saw any other ship.we all did a mass transver next trip to the port townsville, best regards john meekin

Radioham
9th June 2009, 17:24
I sailed on the Dunedin as an apprentice in 1942 there were four of us and we had had two adjoining cabins at the rear of the boat deck - very nice accomadation.
During the war we sailed in convoys of up to 100 ships which asembled off the Bar lightship at Liverpool. We had a 6 inch gun on the poop, Oerlican guns on each bridge wing and the front of the boat deck and Bofars guns each side of 2 hatch plus queer things like PAC's (parachutes and cables to deter aircraft), racks of rockets ,an A frame which lowered at the bow and towed paravanes to deflect mines. Interesting stuff -hi.
I then completed my apprenticeship in Empire Treasure and passed my 2nd Mates ticket in Hull.
Hope this helps - Regards (73 if you a radio ham) - Bert Dyer

Glen Thomas
30th November 2009, 14:09
I sailed on the Port Wyndham in August of 1953 until Jan 1954, they look alike, were they sisterships?.

John

Port Wyndham was a sister of the Port Chalmers, of 1933. She was bigger than the Dunedin, having 6 holds instead of 5, and built about 5 years later.

Glen Thomas
30th November 2009, 14:38
When I went to sea in'52, the last surviving coal burner was the Port Campbell, which was broken up in '53. Their first motor ships were sister ships, the 'Hobart' and 'Dunedin' both delivered in 1925, five holds of about 7500 tons. They were narrow gutted (58 ft beam) and rather unstable. To help stability the tops of the funnel were cut off, resulting in the funnel having only one black band! Both were twin screw refrigerated and doxford engined.
After this they built a class or five ships, very similar in all respects, but with 60 feet beam, and more stable. They were the 'Alma', 'Fairy', 'Huon', 'Fremantle' (note spelling), and the 'Gisborne' which was sunk in 1940.
The Dunedin was in Lisbon for about seven weeks in 1953 for engine repairs - remetalling main engine bearings.

Taffy Billinghurst
31st December 2009, 11:08
That brings back some memories I sailed on the Port St. John, the Fremantle, and the Fairy back in 1958 to 1960 keeping the old Doxfords running.
Taffy Billinghurst

merv moore
29th January 2013, 20:05
hi all i was starting to think i was the only person that sailed on the Port Dunedin done two trips deep sea on her oz & nz both as deck boy(peggy) 3/10/1958-8/7/1959 like to hear from any former shipmates not that i can recall any names, best regards bill

hi bill, I served on port duneden as a galley boy from 14/10/1958 to9/11960 doing 3 trips to aus./n.z.My brother Ronnie Moore was supposed to sail as well as a deck boy but had to have his teeth done so did not sail best regards Merv Moore

billdunlop
25th October 2013, 08:42
hi bill, I served on port duneden as a galley boy from 14/10/1958 to9/11960 doing 3 trips to aus./n.z.My brother Ronnie Moore was supposed to sail as well as a deck boy but had to have his teeth done so did not sail best regards Merv Moore

Hi Merv our paths must crossed at some time not so good at remembering names now,the other deck boy jumped ship in aus on my first trip best regards bill

shipmate17
25th October 2013, 11:04
Hi,
Scrapped La Spezia 25/9/62.

billdunlop
12th December 2013, 12:39
Hi Merv our paths must crossed at some time not so good at remembering names now,the other deck boy jumped ship in aus on my first trip best regards bill

The only memory of my time on her was the baker was a Norwich City fan and the Cook was the first gay person I had meet

charliegreenwell
29th December 2013, 05:46
My grandfather was a greaser on the Port Dunedin and Port Fairy in the mid to late fifties.His name was Thomas Greenwell .Is there anyone out their still above ground who remembers him.

c shields
3rd June 2014, 02:40
The bakers name was I think was Brian Tubby from Norwich and I was the galley boy Colin Shields if my memory serves me correctly

ianian
3rd June 2014, 06:24
The bakers name was I think was Brian Tubby from Norwich and I was the galley boy Colin Shields if my memory serves me correctly

We must be related, my name is Ian Shields, on this web site as ianian, I was with Port line from 1963 until1966 as junior engineer to senior third engineer, my brother Stuart also worked for Port Line as an engineer from 1960 till the 70's from junior to second engineer.
Shields is not a common name.