The Royal Iris formerly of Liverpool now Woolwich

Captain Pugwash
13th June 2008, 12:16
Is anyone familiar with the Royal Iris “Fish & Chip Boat” currently resting at Woolwich doing nothing at all? Looking at various blogs Liverpudlians would love to have her back up there. I’m looking into the feasibility of buying her, if available, restoring her and relocating back home. Any information about the Royal Iris would be greatly appreciated. I think if this could be done and a suitable mooring could be found (even dry docking her) and utilising her in a way that benefits the city would be great.

Bruce Carson
13th June 2008, 14:39
A warm welcome to Ships Nostalgia, Captain.
I think you'll be hearing from our Mersey members before long.
Best wishes to you and your project, it's good to have you onboard.

Bruce

Captain Pugwash
13th June 2008, 14:45
Thanks Bruce

I'm looking forward to researching this

Regards

Simon

K urgess
13th June 2008, 14:53
Welcome aboard from East Yorkshire.
Plenty of information on site about the Royal Iris as you've probably found by now.
The crew will soon respond as well.
Enjoy the voyage.

R58484956
13th June 2008, 18:11
Greetings CP and welcome to SN. Good luck with your endeavers. Bon voyage.

benjidog
13th June 2008, 23:36
Welcome from Lancashire and good luck with your idea.

In any case I hope you will enjoy the site.

Regards,

Brian

billyboy
13th June 2008, 23:51
Welcome aboard from the Philippines. Enjoy all this great site has to offer

navyblueguy
15th June 2008, 17:10
Wow! what a fantastic idea to bring the Royal Iris home! I remember when I was a kid going down to the Pier Head and hoping that the ferry to New Brighton would be the Royal Iris. I always thought that it was such a lovely ferry and was quite dissapointed when I had to cross the Mersey on one of what I considered the 'old' ones. As I got older I recall that it was used for 'mini evening cruises' but by that time I was a teenager and thought that it was full of 'old people' and never had any interest in it.
I then moved out of the UK and never gave the Royal Iris another thought. Perhaps I am mistaken but i have a vague recollection of it being requisitioned by the armed forces for some conflict or other - the Falklands?, perhaps I'm wrong but something 'important' regarding the ferry seems to be ringing a bell. However, I wish you all the best with your plans and will watch with interest.
I wonder if any other guys remember the overhead railway that ran from the Pier Head in Liverpool all the way through the docks. When I think of all those ships (includng some of the most famous liners ever built) I get quite nostalgic!
Best wishes
Roy

gdynia
16th June 2008, 01:20
Welcome onboard to SN and enjoy the voyage