HAIN S.S Co Ltd London

tanker
16th June 2008, 21:18
On sea trials -Readhead South Shield built 1962-STRATHTAI 75-ZAK 78-BU Lianyungang 9-1-86.
Gp

Pilot mac
17th June 2008, 21:48
Originally Trebartha

Dave

tanker
18th June 2008, 21:12
I have forget to write TREBARTHA!!!!!
Gp

jeddie
4th February 2011, 23:37
sailed on her in the early 70s

engineer_pete
30th January 2012, 13:36
Sailed on her as junior engineer Aug.71 to Jan 72 Ghent to Churchill ballast, full load of grain for Vizagaptnam via Tenerife for bunkers, Vizag to Singapore for repairs, new xhead on up to Bangcock full load tapioca and a fair splattering of gonorrhea, for the unlucky ones, paid off in Amsterdam. Not a happy trip, Chief was Brian Blondell, ducer was Indian chap, 3rd was a Geordie ?, 4th wee Jimmy from Aberdeen, Juniors chap from Edinburgh, chap from South England & me. The old man Dick Lister and the deck cadet was Bill Pegram ? cant remember any of the other window watchers.

John Adamson
3rd February 2012, 18:55
Sailed as relief 3rd Mate for a couple of months in 69 with Charlie Abbott as skipper, who was great to sail with.

John

ackerman
30th April 2013, 17:48
Sailed on her as junior engineer Aug.71 to Jan 72 Ghent to Churchill ballast, full load of grain for Vizagaptnam via Tenerife for bunkers, Vizag to Singapore for repairs, new xhead on up to Bangcock full load tapioca and a fair splattering of gonorrhea, for the unlucky ones, paid off in Amsterdam. Not a happy trip, Chief was Brian Blondell, ducer was Indian chap, 3rd was a Geordie ?, 4th wee Jimmy from Aberdeen, Juniors chap from Edinburgh, chap from South England & me. The old man Dick Lister and the deck cadet was Bill Pegram ? cant remember any of the other window watchers.

I was the mate-Joe Cracknell-the chief engineer(Bloundele) came from Oxford and was a good painter.No deck cadet called Bill Pegram though(Indian second was called John-surname from S. Wales).It was a very good trip and relatively short.

Tim Mark
22nd February 2014, 09:14
I was the mate-Joe Cracknell-the chief engineer(Bloundele) came from Oxford and was a good painter.No deck cadet called Bill Pegram though(Indian second was called John-surname from S. Wales).It was a very good trip and relatively short.

Hi, Its Tim Mark, I was on same trip as engineer apprentice along with Dick Salmon. The deck apprentice was Barry Pegram. Second engineer I believe had a double barrel name Henry John?? There's a model of the Trebartha in the Hains-Room at the ST. Ives museum Cornwall; I'd assume it came from the Hains-Nourse office when it closed. Worked on Treneglos, Jelunga, Carpentaria, Patonga, Hauraki, some Everard vessels, then on to Zapata Marine in West Africa. I'm still working, building ships in Singapore & Indonesia for offshore. Rgds to those who I may know.

trotterdotpom
23rd February 2014, 03:21
"a fair splattering of gonorrhea" - you paint a pretty picture, Ackerman - very descriptive.

Did any of you know a Hain's apprentice called John Munday? I sailed with him when he was Master in LOF and got on rather well with him. Sadly, he died a few years ago.

John T

slick
23rd February 2014, 09:11
John T.,
I sailed with a Second Mate called John Munday in the Trevelyan in 1959, I have good memories of him.
A clue, he was a ferocious pipe smoker, his preferred fuel was twist.

Yours aye,

slick

trotterdotpom
23rd February 2014, 10:09
Thanks, Slick, that's probably him, although I don't think he was smoking at all when I knew him. He stuck up for me with an irate Suez Canal pilot. Good bloke.

John T

George.GM
23rd February 2014, 10:23
Sometime in 1969 RFA Tideflow sent a team consisting of the Doctor, First Officer, 4EO and three AB's in a lifeboat to a Hain ship in the South China Sea.
One of her crew was badly burned and lying on a steel hatch cover.
The Doctor treated him a dressed his wounds while the First Officer prepared the ship to receive a casevac helicopter from the US Navy.
The patient was taken ashore to Vietnam and we returned to Tideflow in worsening weather.
We never heard another word from the ship or Hains or the patient.
I have often wondered what became of him.
When the incident was reported, Tideflow received a Commendation from Commander Far East Fleet.
Anyone from Hains remember this ?

George.GM
23rd February 2014, 17:56
Have now discovered that the Hain ship was TRVAYLOR