RAF Fort Austin

wigger
16th June 2008, 21:36
RAF? well thats what the subtitles on Channel 5's "Warship" series said everytime somebody said RFA.

I can remember a few conversations with people over the years who have assumed I meant RAF when I was talking RFA. Is this a really common mistake that people think the RAF man large grey ships?

P.S, I am convinced one of my management still thinks I'm nuts because I told her that the ship she visited was not a hospital ship called HMS Argus.

Pat McCardle
16th June 2008, 21:50
I guess you are right, as she isn't HMS but RFA Argus does have a role as a secondary recieving ship aka hospital ship. This conversion work was carried out for the 1991 Gulf War.

Steve Oatey
16th July 2008, 09:13
RFA Argus has a role as Primary Casualty Receiving Ship, and so is NOT a hospital ship. She was my last RFA ship in 1993.

Mick Spear
16th July 2008, 10:41
RFA Argus has a role as Primary Casualty Receiving Ship, and so is NOT a hospital ship. She was my last RFA ship in 1993.

Not meaning to nit pick here but i believe the real wording of the Role is PCRF Primary Casualty Receiving Facility. Apparently some were getting above themselves thinking that this was her only or most important role; she is also Aviation Training Platform. However, i have heard rumours that Casualty Receiving has gone back to top of the league, due to willy-waggling among the RN Braid. She is still RFA though and moves courtesy of RFA too.
I'll put my tin hat on now and wait for all the incoming from the pro RN brigade.
Mick S (Thumb)

wigger
16th July 2008, 12:17
I knew she could be used for that purpose, but I always thought her main role was aviation training, after all she was the replacement for the old Engadine.

Steve Oatey
16th July 2008, 20:49
Details of the Argus, including her PCRS role can be seen at
www.royal-navy.mod.uk/server/show/nav.5416

Norm
2nd December 2008, 00:08
PCRF Primary Casualty Receiving Facility.
Does that make her a sort of floating M*A*S*H unit??

Lancastrian
2nd December 2008, 09:17
Probably. As mentioned above, someone seems to think that this is now classed as one of her primary roles. Extract from RN site - "RFA argus is unusual in having two primary roles. Firstly, she can deploy to warzones as a Primary Casualty Receiving Facility (PCRF) providing facilities including two operating theatres and 100 beds. This ensures that wounded service personnel of all nationalities can receive swift care equal to that of most UK hospitals and was used to great effect during both Gulf Wars. However, because she does not comply with the Geneva Convention and International Red Cross requirements – she may be fitted with self-defence guns or have operational units embarked for example – RFA Argus is not classified as a hospital ship and does not display a Red Cross."
She also has a third role and has been employed as, a substitute LPH.

STRAWBERRY
24th February 2009, 13:28
But without the Novo virus (Yet)