FireFox 3 web browser available

Jeffers
17th June 2008, 21:53
The latest version of Firefox is now available.

They are trying to go for a record number of downloads on it's first day of release. They previously got 1.6 million downloads of version 2 when it was released in 2006.

I've managed to download it onto my desktop machine and one of my Laptops so far, although they're obviously very busy, it took a few attempts to get onto their download site - http://www.spreadfirefox.com/

I'm very impressed with the new version, it's noticably faster than the previous one and has lots of new stuff that I haven't tried yet.

It's well worth getting, although it may be better waiting until they're not quite so busy!

billyboy
18th June 2008, 01:35
Noted Jeffers! ... will wait till everyone else has it first. With my slow server it would take an eternity to download...LOL

GEORDIE LAD
18th June 2008, 03:05
Thanks for the tip Jeff.I downloaded to all three units with no delays.Good stuff.......Doug

MikeK
18th June 2008, 08:23
Thanks for the tip Jeff, followed your link and had it all up and running in a few minutes. (Thumb)
best regards

Mike

Jeffers
18th June 2008, 09:19
They've had over 4.7 million downloads so far, with around 11 hours to go , so it certainly looks like the final total for the day is going to be huge!

Frank P
18th June 2008, 11:02
Thanks Jeff, I am using it now.

Billy, the file download size is only 7mb, so even on your rice powered machine it should not take that long.(Jester)

Cheers Frank(Thumb)

raybnz
18th June 2008, 11:03
I down loaded it earlier while all you ex sea going chappies were asleep on the other side of the world. Working well so far. Just like a doxford in full song.

billyboy
18th June 2008, 11:38
Done it Jeffers!..took 1 hour 15minutes (i nipped out and wet the string)
Working well thank you Jeff.

marinero
18th June 2008, 12:33
File Hippo had it on offer about 4 hours before the official launch but it wasn't until I had installed it I realized it was the USA version so I had to download the GB version to overwrite it. I do like the spelling help which works as you type.
Regards

Coastie
18th June 2008, 14:05
If I download it, will it automatically replace the Firefox that I already have?

Frank P
18th June 2008, 14:30
If I download it, will it automatically replace the Firefox that I already have?

Yes, and it keeps all your bookmarks. (Thumb)
Frank

Coastie
18th June 2008, 18:38
Yes, and it keeps all your bookmarks. (Thumb)
Frank

Many thanks for that Frank. Now I've got to work out how to bookmark things!!(Jester)

MM˛
18th June 2008, 18:59
Thanks for the heads up Jeffers.

I downloaded it and installed it on my Mac in less than 5 minutes - it does seem to run faster than version 2.

steviej
18th June 2008, 21:26
Nice one Jeffers. Working a treat.

methc
18th June 2008, 22:28
Thanks for the link.
Installed and running on this Intel Mac in one minute twenty seconds! Is there a Windows machine that can beat that time?

Coastie
19th June 2008, 04:09
I doubt it, Mac is FAR superior to any Windows machine IMHO.

K urgess
19th June 2008, 15:09
Just donwloaded it to my Ubuntu laptop in about 20 seconds only to find that it was on there already.
Probably an automatic update.

Hank
24th June 2008, 16:38
I've never used anything else but IE until now (didn't know how to!) so I used the link to download Firefox. It seems to be a bit quicker than IE but otherwise I can find no great difference and I've found one significant drawback. When I go to certain sites with pictures, such as Youtube, Firefox refuses to show the pictures, saying that I need a new version of Flashplayer. Yet when I go to the same site with IE it shows the pictures right away.
Incidentally, I've clicked on the link that says 'download Flashplayer now' and I just get switched to other sites until I reach one which says click the download button, only to discover that there ain't no download button there.
What exactly are the benefits I should be getting from Firefox? Bear in mind that I'm a computer illiterate.
Cheers, John

John Rogers
24th June 2008, 17:21
I've never used anything else but IE until now (didn't know how to!) so I used the link to download Firefox. It seems to be a bit quicker than IE but otherwise I can find no great difference and I've found one significant drawback. When I go to certain sites with pictures, such as Youtube, Firefox refuses to show the pictures, saying that I need a new version of Flashplayer. Yet when I go to the same site with IE it shows the pictures right away.
Incidentally, I've clicked on the link that says 'download Flashplayer now' and I just get switched to other sites until I reach one which says click the download button, only to discover that there ain't no download button there.
What exactly are the benefits I should be getting from Firefox? Bear in mind that I'm a computer illiterate.
Cheers, John

I think the best benefit would be the security feature,IE had a lot of holes in it.

John.(Thumb)

unsteadyken
24th June 2008, 18:08
Just like a doxford in full song.

Whaat; it vibrates yer teeth out!? I'm sticking with IE then.(EEK)

Chris Isaac
24th June 2008, 18:55
Done and runs like greased weasel sh**

R831814
24th June 2008, 21:47
Seems a lot faster than IE however you do not seem to be able to send a shortcut to desktop? Really annoying when you find a good website but cannot record it.

Am I missing something or is there an easy way?

Chris Isaac
24th June 2008, 23:26
Just drag and drop, I've just tried it with SN!